Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: truss rods

Default Re: truss rods

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    If it's true that a straight rod deep in the neck is all thats needed, then what was Ted McHugh thinking when he went with the curved rod? My best explanation is to have the adjusting nut far into the peghead. About the only place you can put the adjuster with a straight rod is right where the rod enters the peghead. That seems to limit the leverage to me.
    The reason the truss rod is bent, is because both ends are secured with a washer and nut. If the rod was straight, there would be nothing preventing the entire rod from spinning in the slot which would render it useless. Most builders who use a straight rod will either use an anchor or a simple bend of some sort at the end of the rod.

2. The following members say thank you to Max Girouard for this post:

hank 

To me part of that equation is the long curved heel which allows the deep set. To me the "straightening" force is spread along the entire rear downward curve and that is in the thickest most massive part of the neck. But at the same time the nut end which is the thinnest and weakest part will give long before the rod can straighten. The other thing to remember is we're only trying to counteract the upward pull of the strings. Your just trying to slightly move the fingerboard in the first 5 frets or so. The rod isn't intended to fix any other action problems other than relief.

Not so sure Max. Seems only a slight bend would solve the spin problem but they seemed to go out of their way to sink it so deep in the back.
    Still only conjecture on my part though.

Quote Originally Posted by Parker135 View Post
    Very helpful to see that picture. So what happens when you tighten the curved rod (meaning increased tension)? It looks like it would try to straighten and also apply pressure to the bottom of the channel, which would add to forward bow. My brain hurts.
    Check out post #8 in the thread linked below, Adrian does a great job of explaining it.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ss-Rod-Profile

6. The following members say thank you to Max Girouard for this post:

uhhh... I install my trussrods in a reverse orientation to the ones shown in the pictures. I do it like Gibson and Fender do it on their guitars. They work. ...totally different principles involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Girouard View Post
    Check out post #8 in the thread linked below, Adrian does a great job of explaining it.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ss-Rod-Profile
    That was really helpful. I also read some comments there similar to mine about the action of the bent rod being counter-intuitive. It was fascinating to see the X-ray of the old Gibson neck as well.

Isn't the end in the heel welded to the rod so the rod can't spin. Most I have seen one anchor does not turn. The nut end only turns, or in the case of a guitar soundhole adjustment the opposite end.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Isn't the end in the heel welded to the rod so the rod can't spin. Most I have seen one anchor does not turn. The nut end only turns, or in the case of a guitar soundhole adjustment the opposite end.
    Nope. In the old Gibsons there is a nut and a washer at each end of the rod.

Is there any reason not to use a rod adjusted through the sound hole on A and F oval hole models?
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    Is there any reason not to use a rod adjusted through the sound hole on A and F oval hole models?
    Breedlove does it with a special tool thru the endpin.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

this may or may not add to the discussion, here's an xray i took of a Collings MT without strings, around 2015

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07569.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	303.3 KB 
ID:	176353

I assume with the rod set that deep in the neck, it's capped on top with a carefully fitted and glued wooden strip to restore some torsional stiffness to help guard against twisting. For those of us not set up to do this on a table saw, is it practical to use a router for such a deep narrow (and necessarily accurate) slot?

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ional-trussrod

I'm hoping this will link to a thread I posted in 2012.

16. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

Jim: It does, and thank you! It looks like that's going to answer my questions, and it appears this can be done without a table saw.

A straight rod slot like the Collings can be done by gluing an elevating board near the nut although I remember using a couple of screws into the part that would be cut off to get the shape of the neck. Then just do multiple passes although the last pass might make you pucker up. But you can move the neck along side the bit and see just how deep it's going to cut.

19. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

I just looked up Ted (Thaddeus) McHugh's trussrod patent. While he didn't explain why the rod was curved he did say one reason for the invention was so you wouldn't have to be so selective as to what wood you were going to use. About saving the company $.

hey guys , I posted this, so as to learn more about the function of the truss rod, and really learned a lot, and a shout out to Jim H, on that post you did in 2012, , thanks. I also use double face tape alot
    Mike Marrs

also mr Hilborn, where you end the curve, do you have a bend in the rod that goes down into the heel? and are you making your own rods, ? thanks
    Mike Marrs

Cumberland Acoustic sold and I assume still sells a straight rod with a welded stop and comes with a great small adjusting nut. I just shaped it to my needs. A little shorter than as shown on Adrians plan and required giving up a little on each end.

24. The following members say thank you to Jim Hilburn for this post:

excellent thread, and thanks to everyone chiming in. especially like the posting of the older threads since I had not read those. lots of experience and knowledge being given, for many of us to learn and digest.

d

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Am I thinking wrongly or isn't the rod only important to allow you to shorten the distance between the end nuts of the truss rod.
    Shortening this distance simply squeezes the wood between the two nuts.
    If all this is happening in the back half of the neck, it should slightly shorten that part of the neck and cause the neck to curve backward. (Helped by the stiffness of the fingerboard.)

So any configuration of curves or bends in the rod itself is insignificant. It's not the up/down movement of the rod that does the job.

Am I wrong?
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I agree, assuming the rod is stiff. At the other extreme, a cable, tightening would seem to induce forward bend as it pulls over the curved slot bottom.

By the way, thank you for your post. It got me rethinkng the curved rod idea.

These xrays, one Gibson and one Collings help to illustrate the leverage I've mentioned. Compare the adjusting nut location on both.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	77166_a1_xray.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	176377  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hilburn View Post
    These xrays, one Gibson and one Collings help to illustrate the leverage I've mentioned. Compare the adjusting nut location on both.
    You can aslo see how the nut of Collings falls right into the weakest area of neck and on Gibson it is further up te headstock in the wide part.
    I asked professor of physics about the curved rods and simplified answer is that basically the important is where the nuts are if the curve is not too radical. The force of rod against wall of the slot is negligible when compared to the compression force and resulting bending (since the whole rod is below neutral axis anyway - the axis is somewhere right at the fingerboard joint).
    Here is what I'm doing. I cut straight slot and drill angled hole from heel. I use tiny U shaped gouge to and finger shaped scraper to deepen the transition at the bend adn at the nut end. Has all the advantages (not prone to twisting, deep position and adjusting nut high on headstock) and is easier to cut than curved without need for shaped templates or jigs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0654.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	475.9 KB 
ID:	176379  
    Adrian