Thread: Mandolin care??

Default Mandolin care??

New here, thanks for having me.
    Do I need to clean my mandolin? Light water? Oil? Windex? Help!

Default Re: Mandolin care??

What mandolin do you have? What finish is on that mandolin? (To me, the best answer is from the maker of that particular instrument and the specific finish used.)
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

3. The following members say thank you to Doug Brock for this post:

Blog Entries

I have never cleaned my mandolin. Before I put it back in the case I wipe the instrument and strings with a microfiber rag, and every now and then I might use this, mostly because I got it as a gift and its kind of nifty.

But beyond that I haven't seen a need to do a cleaning. Besides which, cleaning cuts into my pickin' time.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

When I change strings i’ll Wipe down with a microfiber cloth, but otherwise, no...

Edit: Unless I’m playing outside and sweating, I let a kid play around with it (at least 60% of the time their fingers are sticky, lol), or someone spills a beverage on it, in which case I will wipe clean. But, I’ve never used any of the polishes out there. I also don’t subscribe to the Adam Steffey practice of wiping down the strings with WD-40, but he plays way more than me and is an absolute beast of a player, so what do I know?
    Last edited by CES; May-14-2019 at 5:07pm.
    Chuck

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Breath and a cloth 95 percent of the time. Maybe once a year if it’s needed, after checking the finish will take it, a wipe down with naphtha (Shellite in Australia). Possibly less often, depending on the finish, polish with guitar polish. Don’t use furniture polish. Oil the fingerboard with lemon oil about once or twice a year. Clean the frets with a jewellers cloth and then polish them with a strip of leather maybe every second string change.

I like keeping my instruments pristine.
    Last edited by David Lewis; May-15-2019 at 6:43pm. Reason: Clarification and typo removal.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

I dust it off when I change strings. and of course if something is dropped on it (very, very rare but it happens). That's about it.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

I scrub mine with a wire brush and a mixture of Comet and Mr. Clean!
    2003 John Sullivan F5 "Roy"
    2015 Heiden F Artist
    2019 Ruhland F5 #35

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EvanElk For This Useful Post:

I occasionally wipe a little dust off under the strings with an old sock turned inside out, and the fretboard when I change strings, but since they live in their cases, they don't get very dirty.