Thread: Best all inclusive books on Jazz // Progressive Blues.

Default Best all inclusive books on Jazz // Progressive Blues.

Doesn't have to be specifically for the Tenor Guitar. Because well, there aint no books out there for tenor guitar in Chicago tuning other than a few Chord books.

Looking for something all inclusive beginner to advanced and more for 6 string guitar is fine. I should be able to transpose a lot of the information. Any suggestions?
    "The best bands are like tribes"

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Re: Best all inclusive books on Jazz // Progressive Blues.

There must be lots of baritone ukulele books out there...
    Edit....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	082BF6FF-50F6-4657-802E-44B21B934DD1.jpeg 
Views:	150 
Size:	396.4 KB 
ID:	176188Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B8027C4C-044C-4B42-9AFB-8C3C7C95852A.jpeg 
Views:	129 
Size:	475.6 KB 
ID:	176189

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    There must be lots of baritone ukulele books out there...
    Edit....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	082BF6FF-50F6-4657-802E-44B21B934DD1.jpeg 
Views:	150 
Size:	396.4 KB 
ID:	176188Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B8027C4C-044C-4B42-9AFB-8C3C7C95852A.jpeg 
Views:	129 
Size:	475.6 KB 
ID:	176189
    Yah im guessing i may have to buy a book catered to the baritone uke player... The only issue being, is I imagine there are more in depth resources on the 6 string guitar out there.
    "The best bands are like tribes"

I've found the Skeptical Guitarist books by Bruce Emery to be useful - I have his Music Principles books, which include one on Jazz. Looking on his web site I see that he also has a blues book and Baritone Uke.

Since I don't use Chicago tuning, my first thought was to refer you to Ted Eschliman's Getting Into Jazz Mandolin, and do some transposing. If using tuning in fifths is an option for you, that's a great resource as would be the soundslice courses by Don Stiernberg. Again, transposing would be required.

5. The following members say thank you to Alfons for this post:

Markus 

Check out Blues Guitar Unleashed. It's aimed at the 6 string but with Chicago tuning, you just ignore the bottom two strings. Griff Hamlin sends out a daily email with a free lesson pretty much every day. I was so impressed with the free lessons that I bought a couple of courses.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Noseeums View Post
    Doesn't have to be specifically for the Tenor Guitar. Because well, there aint no books out there for tenor guitar in Chicago tuning other than a few Chord books.

Looking for something all inclusive beginner to advanced and more for 6 string guitar is fine. I should be able to transpose a lot of the information. Any suggestions?
    Howdy,

If you're tuned in "Chicago Tuning" then you should be in fourths like the first four strings on a guitar. Roy Smeck's Mel Bay Ukulele Method is great for getting those jazz chords under your fingers so that you can switch from chord to chord with minimal finger movement. I found this book to be an absolute gem for Ukulele. You'll have to do some minor transposing from ADF#B to DGBE but all the fingering and chord shapes should still work.
    https://www.amazon.com/Mel-Bay-Ukule...A9AHHGH11QCZVE

You might find some useful stuff in the Lyle Ritz Ukulele Jazz books. The version of "Autumn Leaves" is sublime and knocks out jazz guitarists when I play this version for them on ukulele.

https://www.amazon.com/Jumpin-Jims-U...s=books&sr=1-1
    Play that which you feel is groovy, get down with your bad self, and shake your money maker if it makes sense for you to do so.

8. The following members say thank you to Scotter for this post:

Alfons