Thread: Grisman "Shalom Aleichem" for Mando Orchestra?

Default Grisman "Shalom Aleichem" for Mando Orchestra?

Love the Cafe, where I know I will get answers to this:

Grisman & Danny Barnes played in Portland last night, and I got a signed copy of his "Book of David" Dawg Roots book. Got home, getting ready to go to a Passover Seder and I see the first song is Shalom Aleichem. AND in the introduction he writes:
    "In 2005, I arranged the piece for the orchestra at Mandolin Symposium and that piece has since been taken up by quite a few mandolin ensembles."
    Anybody know where I might get this music, score, parts?
    I did a quick search of a few sources but could only find the CD or the book that I already (obviously) have.
    I already appreciate your response!
    Jim

Default Re: Grisman "Shalom Aleichem" for Mando Orchestra?

The East Coast Mandolin Orchestra performed an arrangement of this beautiful piece this past December. The arrangement was really well done. Mark Linkins, Director of the orchestra, is a member of the Cafe. Let's see if he weighs in. If not, you can PM him, or I can send him an email.

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Thanks Bob!
    Where in Southern NJ are you? I was born in Riverside, near Burlington, and a cousin owns Donkey's Bar & Grill in Camden.

Hi Jim,

I just sent you a PM.

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Mark did reply, thanks for the contact. Still looking for GRISMAN'S own setting as he describes it in the Dawg Roots Book. Grisman says it's been played by orchestras all over the world... Somebody? Anybody? Grisman? .... Grisman?

Sent you a PM. They did this at the last MS 2015. I'd try and contact David to make sure you can use this arrangement.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Sent you the THANK YOU note. Yes, I will also check to see if there are copyright issues. Always happy to pay for good music.
    jim

Hey, somebody send me a PM as well. Pretty sure our orchestra has an arrangement of Sholom Aleichem, but not Grisman's arrangement!
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I want to thank the people (who will remain nameless here) who replied to my request, but I also want to assure any other readers that I will check on copyright and permission concerns before doing anything public with this music. So as a follow-up, if one of you has information on legal use (public domain, copyright protected, whatever) I would appreciate that. I have a lot of respect for composers and publishers and appreciate their work; some choose to publish without restriction, some do this for their living.

Jim, are you the fella from the MMQ that plays a Monteleone mandocello?

Quote Originally Posted by SternART View Post
    Jim, are you the fella from the MMQ that plays a Monteleone mandocello?
    I WISH!
    No, Adam Roskowicz plays the mandocello in MMQ. I know Mike Marshall plays a Monteleone, and their website says "In the mid-1980s, Dana Rath and Mike Marshall created a quartet of mandolin family instruments." So you might be thinking of him. Somebody will probably reply here to make corrections or updates. I think Radim Zenkl played MCello on tour with them at one point, and played Mandola with them at CMSA 2016. I had an informal lesson with Adam "Rosco" but it was at Wintergrass in Bellevue WA and he was playing mandolin with Front Country.
    I'm just an enthusiastic intermediate playing in the Oregon Mandolin Orchestra and trying to promote more attention and music for the mandocello; I do play a beauty, though: a 1911 K4. But to paraphrase Lloyd Bentson, "I know Mike Marshall; I study with Mike Marshall; but I'm no Mike Marshall."

I looked at some MMQ photos, Adam Rosco is not playing a Monteleone, which has a distinct curl in the scroll. Not sure what Adam's instrument is, a big F style but not a Gibson. So you must be thinking of Mike Marshall, founding MMQ member and definitely Monteleone player. Still, sadly, not me!

Sorry for the confusion. it was John Imholz....... I apologize, it was late when I posted & I was tired. Imholz was the original mandocello player in the MMQ. There have been several personnel changes over the years, I'm surprised they don't list previous members on the web site. In the early days of the MMQ they ordered a quartet of matching instruments from John Monteleone. When John Imholz left the ensemble he took his very rare Monteleone mandocello with him. Mike Marshall also has one but not the instrument from the matching quartet, and he played mandolin in the MMQ. I looked at your profile photo Jim & saw the big cello with a scroll.......my bad. Anyone know more about John Imholz?

I'm used to name confusion. I get a lot of "Hoffman? Mr Hoffman?" "Jim..Hoff? ... -man?" I will check the website again, the semi-current Q blurb is the group that recorded the Americana album; there are pictures of the earlier configurations, but I didn't see lots of names.

I was fortunate enough to be an early member of the Louisville Mandolin Orchestra when it began in the late 1980s. In the fall of 1988 we were featured, along with the Modern Mandolin Quartet and Sam Bush, in a concert titled Mando Magnificat, part of the Lonesome Pine Specials concert series at the Kentucky Center for the Arts in Louisville. This concert was broadcast on the radio.

A few months later, in the summer of 1989, a second Mando Magnificat was presented by the same cast along with the addition of Peter Ostroushko and Dean Magraw. This concert was filmed for broadcast on public television. In both concerts the finales involved the LMO being joined by the MMQ and Sam. John Imholz played mandocello on both concerts and was a real easy going kind of guy.

After these concerts there were serious talks about the MMQ and the LMO recording a CD for (I think) Rounder Records. At least twice, maybe more than that, the MMQ stopped in Louisville to rehearse with us. Along with pieces from the earlier concerts I know we were working on the Vivaldi Concerto in G for two mandolins.

Of course many of us in the LMO thought that stardom was just around the corner. In the end the recording project didn't happen and a possible joint performance on the Mountain Stage radio show fell through as well. Years later (2001?) the two groups did record a concert performance and that recording is available on the LMO's bandcamp site. That version of the MMQ included Chris Thile and Radim Zenkl in place of Mike Marshall and John.

I remember vividly the morning (a Saturday or a Sunday, I'm not sure) around 1990 when the original MMQ surprised us all by showing up, unannounced, at our regular rehearsal. They had played in Cincinnati the night before and decided to drive over to Louisville to visit. Most exciting was that they had recently received the matched quartet of Monteleone instruments. I remember that Paul Binkley insisted that I try out his new mandola, which sounded amazing to me. (Paul, I believe, was a nephew of the great early music pioneer Thomas Binkley.) I'm sure that John, Mike and Dana Rath also passed their new treasures around for sampling as well.

John retired from the MMQ after around fifteen years and you can learn more about him and his activities at his own website: http://www.johnimholz.com/

Unfortunately Paul Binkley passed away awhile back. From his web sire, looks like John is still in the Bay Area.