Thread: Use of EQ

Default Use of EQ

A few months ago I've got myself a Godin A8, which is an absolutely lovely mandolin. I really enjoy just playing around with it, but I wondered if anyone has any tips for using an EQ, something I'm really very un-used to. Should I just play with the sliders until I think it sounds cool, or are there some general principles worth using?

For reference, I generally play English folk - sometimes singing - through a Yamaha THR10, and without a sound engineer.

Thanks for all your tips!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Use of EQ

In fact playing with sliders is a way to learn. Assuming you are using a multi-band graphic EQ, like the Boss 7-band, the highs affect the tinkle, the lows affect the thump, and the color and character are the mids.

For an archtop, F5 sound, boost the lows with 200 and some 400, cut the 800 and some 1.6K. For a flattop tone just make a gentle curve scooping the mids. Those are crude approximations, but you will hear how tilting the curve one way or the other changes the character. With a built-in system like Godin’s, there is likely no need to chop just one offending band, or boost one missing range. It would be more about getting the character you want.

Small changes will be noticeable, so feel free to try a lot of combinations. Having outboard EQ also allows compensating when using a different amp or speaker. The basic treble, midrange, and bass controls on most amps only give broad tonal balance, and won’t give the larger adjustments a graphic EQ can.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

I've got an A8 and an Ortega RMFE90, the Ortega has a guitar style EQ system which just does tone and volume onboard, I use a tube amp for both, the Ortega is a pain if the amp setting isn't just right, going through a PA its sometimes worse , I find the A8 really easy to control, the sliders react really well to different rooms and other factors such as other instruments, from mellow almost jazzy tones to strident shouty and harsh, as you get to know the way it works its really ultra flexible. A few years ago I had Fylde mando with built in P/U, that was a nightmare amplified , total hooligan, the A8 is well mannered , you can take it anywhere but just play with the settings you'll soon figure out what works for you. Its a fine mandolin in any company too

Parametric, hi/lo cut, and shelving eq are my gotos as a sound guy.

Para, cut, and graphic are easily available in pedals, shelving not so much, but you can make do with the others.

Digital pedals will let you combine cuts, para, and GEQ which is handy. Digital also lets you save pesets which is a must-have for me since I use the same pedal for multiple instruments.

Learning to use Eq will serve you well IMHO. Using EQ is mostly an ear-training excercise, so is learned best by experience, but a little reading about it doesn't hurt either. There are some common tricks worth knowing, like scooped for example.

Two different aspects of using EQ. The first would be to just play with the sliders to yield the voice you feel appropriate. The other is to follow the opinions of those who are located in the area of the audience or listening to the recording. They are very different. It remains your decision. A very similar situation exists when test driving a "new to you" instrument. There is sound and tone you hear as a player and there is the sound that the audience hears -- very different things.

Luthier&Pickup maker ret. Soundfarmer Pete's Avatar

If you have some kind of recording software, then a spectrum analyser can really help to sort things by visually showing weak or dominant frequencies..... which can then be balanced out.

I would just play around with it and use your ears to guide you. But realize subtle changes may make big differences, especially in the midrange.