Thread: 6th Jim Richter Mandolin Camp for the Rest of Us feat Don Julin

Blog Entries

Default 6th Jim Richter Mandolin Camp for the Rest of Us feat Don Julin

After a short hiatus, the 6th Jim Richter Mandolin Camp for the Rest of Us Featuring Don Julin will comence in 2019! It has been scheduled for July 10 through the 13th at the Grant Street Inn in Bloomington Indiana.

As always, this camp focuses on non-bluegrass mandolin styles with a special emphasis on rock and blues. Additionally, the camp intends to address “beginner-itis,” or the dreaded disease effecting those mandolinists who never seem to move beyond beginner status. If your goal is to win Winfield next year, this may not be the camp for you. But, if your goal is to learn to better enjoy the instrument we all love and endear, this most definitely will be your 2019 mandolin camp.

My mandolin buddy Don Julin is back from taking names in the mandolin world the last 4 to 5 years between performance with Billy Strings or teaching at every relevant mandolin camp in the USA. Looking very forward to have Don be an integral part of camp. He’s been missed.

The curriculum, which is in final development, will cover:

Blues
    Rock
    Jazz
    Arrangement
    Basic music theory
    Technique
    Practice routines
    e-Mando
    Jamming
    However, like previous years, the attendees will also help refine the curriculum by completing the questionnaire that is a part of the registration form. Let us know what you’d like to learn and we’ll do our best to work it into the schedule.

Returning this year will be concurrently held “special topic” classes. For example, while Don is teaching basic music theory, Jim will accept a handful of students for blues arrangement. Or conversely, while Jim is teaching a general class on practice routines, Don will hold a small group on jazz arrangements.

Also, 20 minutes of individual instruction is a standard part of the camp. Given that camp is open to around 20 attendees, we have to limit private instruction to 15 minutes. Individual instruction will be held in the mornings between 9AM and 11:30AM.

Breakdown of the Camp:

Wednesday 7/10: Meet and Greet/Jam. Not obligatory to attend but a good icebreaker and beginning to the camp.

Thursday 7/11: Individual sessions in AM. Classes from noon until 5PM. Jamming in the evening.

Friday 7/12: Individual sessions in AM. Classes from noon until 5PM. Jamming in the evening.

Saturday 7/13: Individual sessions in AM. Classes from noon until 5PM. Faculty concert in the evening.

Cost: Tuition for the workshop is $320 ($330 if paying via Paypal). This covers camp instruction, printed materials, individual instruction, and the faculty concert. It does not include dining or lodging.

Housing: For out of town folks, I encourage you to use the Grant Street Inn as it is the center of activities and is offering a great discount for our group. Just tell them that you are booking for the Richter Mandolin Camp to ensure the $119 plus tax rate per night.
    http://www.grantstreetinn.com 812-334-2353. Reduced rates are available from Tuesday 7/10 through Saturday 7/13.

Lesson Plan/Special Topic signups: Once I receive a sufficient number of registration forms back, we will finalize our curriculum. At that time I will send each of you a schedule of classes where you can list your class preferences. After sending this back to me, I will finalize our class rosters.

Registration: You can email me (jim@jimrichter.com) for questions or to put a hold on a spot for you. You can register through my online registration form. All registrations will be done online. However, payment can be done either via check or PayPal. If you choose to pay by check, please let me know. Thanks!

About Jim Richter
    Over the last 15 years I’ve built a reputation as a solid blues mandolinist who draws heavily from classic electric blues guitarists, such as Freddie King and Hollywood Fats. Due to my extensive background as a blues-oriented rock guitarist, I’ve garnered respect and notoriety for my mandolin renditions of tunes by Hendrix, Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin. This respect also extends to mandolin instruction, as I’ve become one of the more visible blues mandolin instructors, including maintaining the rock/blues mandolin instructor spot at Mandolin Camp North in the Boston area in 2018 and 2019. 2012 saw the release of my iPad interactive mandolin instructional book Richter Mandolin. In terms of recent discography, 2013 saw the release of the dual release In-Tuition: Blues & Mandopoly, containing mostly original tunes and special guests from artist such as the great Mike Compton. Will Kimble and I were recently on The Road Home/Butch Baldassari Tribute CD and Gordon Bonham and I were on The Tribute to Yank Rachel CD.

About Don Julin
    Don Julin is one of Michigan’s premier instrumentalists. From jazz to folk, gypsy to avant-garde, Julin is loved for his talent and fluidity. 2012 saw Don release his CD Vibe, as well as the much acclaimed Mandolin for Dummies, a much needed addition to mandolin instruction. 2014 will see Don’s release of Mandolin Exercises for Dummies. Don has achieved national acclaim for his original compositions from his cd’s Tractor and Mr. Natural. Don has won national songwriting contests and his music is often heard on NPR’s radio magazine All Things Considered. Don performs thoughout the United States and Europe and has been a featured performer for the Classical Mandolin Society of America including other international events. Don’s performances with Billy Strings over the last two years have shaken up the old time and Americana worlds.

Default Re: 6th Jim Richter Mandolin Camp for the Rest of Us feat Don Jul

Oh, wow! I am going to work on figuring out a way to afford to attend. It sounds just like what I am looking for.....