Thread: side thickness

Default side thickness

in thousands, how far do you guys take your sides?, and do you thin them more in tight curves? I have Hogos prints, and tried to use calipers to measure thickness, but it looks thinner around the neck block, maybe just these old eyes
    Mike Marrs

Default Re: side thickness

I usually start with somewhere between .070" and .080" and when necessary (some wood bends better than other wood) I further thin the areas where the tight bends are. I've gone as thin as just over .040" for the point and scroll areas of F-style mandolins. Those areas are glued to internal blocks so they don't really need to be any more than veneers.

3. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

hank 

What John said.... I keep mine around .080 , but if having trouble bending , I'll go thinner.. With the hard stuff, I'll mist and clamp in the forms and let dry.. That little thing works wonders... Lacewood kicked my rump tho… Nothing I did would even get close to the curve without breaking... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2809.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	877.8 KB 
ID:	176130
    kterry

5. The following members say thank you to buckhorn for this post:

hank 

thanks fellows, I have made 1 A model, and 2 F's , but the last one was almost 10 years ago, so I am having a hard time remembering everything. I am using Siminoffs book for reference on this one, but ordered Hogos prints
    Mike Marrs

I just got those prints they are excellent!
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

I concur with .08---of course, wood that is flat sawn, IMHO, tends to bend more easily than heavily quilted, birdseye or fiddle figured maple. I have found that patience is very important and it pays to have a mist bottle handy. Have found that it thinning the material down to .07 and even .06 at the tightest curves seems to help---strength can be built back into the sides with an additional veneer later.