Thread: Anyone know of Dennis Olson mandolins? Fisher, MN

Default Anyone know of Dennis Olson mandolins? Fisher, MN

Hi there, new to the forum. I'm looking for information on dennis olson mandolins out of fisher, Mn.

There is one for sale near me. Looks like a well made I instrument and the guy doesn't want much. All I can find is one that sold on goodwill web site in ND for $280.00. Same model. And I'm in western north carolina. So these instruments seem to travel. If anyone has any info let me know. Thanksa for your time!
    Shane doyle

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/64070719

Default Re: Anyone know of Dennis Olson mandolins? Fisher, MN

I raced bicycles with a guy named Dennis Olson many years ago in Portland, Oregon. I'm sure it isn't the same guy and there's no mention of a Dennis Olson anywhere on the Cafe except this thread. If that mandolin presented itself to me at that price I'd probably buy it just because.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Teacher, repair person

A google search for Dennie Olson Fisher MN yields a Dennis Irving Olson, 79 years old; and a Dennis I. Olson I, 80+ years old. Different family members are shown for each listing, so their may be two elderly Dennis Olsons in Fisher. Others with the same name are shown living in neighboring areas.

Can't find any references to Olson mandolins.

Handmade, for sure. Appears to be finished with a modern product rather than nitrocellulose lacquer or traditional spirit or oil varnish. My guess is that the maker was in it more for a hobby than for a business.

From the one on SGW it looks like an amateur builder. F-holes looks rough and the pearl name on the headstock. It could be a decent player possibly. Here are some photos of the SGW one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1299241992458es.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	176137 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4313454199256es.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	176138 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3989313199255es.JPG 
Views:	145 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	176139
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Dennis Olson and I built mandolins as a retirement hobby from 2006 until last year (2018). We stopped last summer for lack of energy. We sold a few but gave away most to friends, relatives and charities. Dennis will be 80 years old on April 30. He's a wonderful and patient guy with a great sense of humor. Being a retired carpenter, he is a real craftsman. He basically taught me all the steps. We numbered our mandolins. He took the odd numbers and I had the even numbers. We built one-at-a-time. I would guess that he built over 30 mandolins while I built 17. Our shop was right outside his house in Fisher, MN. I live about 30 minutes away. Dennis doesn't have Internet access but I'd be glad to communicate with him on behalf of any Cafe members.

MikeyG

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeyG For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyG View Post
    Dennis Olson and I built mandolins as a retirement hobby from 2006 until last year (2018). We stopped last summer for lack of energy. We sold a few but gave away most to friends, relatives and charities. Dennis will be 80 years old on April 30. He's a wonderful and patient guy with a great sense of humor. Being a retired carpenter, he is a real craftsman. He basically taught me all the steps. We numbered our mandolins. He took the odd numbers and I had the even numbers. We built one-at-a-time. I would guess that he built over 30 mandolins while I built 17. Our shop was right outside his house in Fisher, MN. I live about 30 minutes away. Dennis doesn't have Internet access but I'd be glad to communicate with him on behalf of any Cafe members.

MikeyG
    That is excellent, thank you for posting this information. Please extend our best to him.

By the way, I'm guessing you were the G in O & G.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Ah that clears up a lot. If MikeyG had something to do with this then it might very well be a good sounding and playing mandolin. Please excuse my comments above. Those were based on guesswork.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Ah that clears up a lot. If MikeyG had something to do with this then it might very well be a good sounding and playing mandolin. Please excuse my comments above. Those were based on guesswork.
    Jim - No need to excuse your comments - you call 'em as you see 'em. No offense was taken. Thanks for the kind words.

Mike - Yes, I'm the G of G&O Mandolins. Here's a photo of my favorite build: an oval A from 2008. If you zoom in on the sound hole, you can discern the labels we used:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G&O Number 10 2008.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	176179

The top was colored with egg white - that was Dennis' suggestion.

MikeyG

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeyG For This Useful Post:

A thread like this is one of the reasons this forum is so important.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.