Thread: I am on this board to learn!

Unhappy I am on this board to learn!

If y'all wish to speak in half thoughts and codes and insider-collector shorthand, then I don't think I'm going to get much out of this place. And I really don't think many others will either. I'm sure I'm not the only newbie on here seeking information.

Forgive me if I need clarification from time to time and I'll forgive you. What comes around goes around. Some of you are such experts on mandolin minutia. Good for you!
    Many of us are experts on other subjects, so please don't be so dismissive.

I thought we were here to share information with each other. As for the accompanying attitudes y'all can keep them to yourselves. I'm looking for information and friends, not personality battles.

Simple. Thank you.

Default Re: I am on this board to learn!

Do you mean stuff like "Yes, that is what blows me away is how popping and thick the trebles are. No thin flat sound here, cutters all the way. I love the X-braced F5s he produces. Especially the ones where they cross just about an inch in front of the bridge. But all of his are fantastic.
    Definitely one of the greatest makers I know of."?

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by vetus scotia View Post
    Do you mean stuff like "Yes, that is what blows me away is how popping and thick the trebles are. No thin flat sound here, cutters all the way. I love the X-braced F5s he produces. Especially the ones where they cross just about an inch in front of the bridge. But all of his are fantastic.
    Definitely one of the greatest makers I know of."?
    If you wish to know what this gent is upset about, you could research it by clicking on his name (which takes you to his profile) and reading the recent threads he's posted in.

This post is a puzzler, as he appears to be lumping everyone on this board into the same basket. Strange. So I research.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Hang in there. The use of "codes and insider-collector shorthand" will be typical for any group of folks with a specialized interest. It isn't generally intended to be excluding, but is just a way folks with specialized interests communicate with each other. You'd likely have similar problems if you dropped in on a forum involving tea roses or Dobsonian telescopes or Cajun cooking or collectable bottle openers.

The messages can't explain every possible confusing "code" or use of "shorthand" - that would just make communication impossible. Just be patient, use Google, and ask questions. All of us here have begun as newcomers and most of us have picked up knowledge from this amazing forum.
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

5. The following members say thank you to Doug Brock for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    If you wish to know what this gent is upset about, you could research it by clicking on his name (which takes you to his profile) and reading the recent threads he's posted in.

This post is a puzzler, as he appears to be lumping everyone on this board into the same basket. Strange. So I research.
    Looks like Mark and I had the same idea. The quotation in my post was from RustyMadd back in December. Seemed like a good example of the very sort of inside baseball he is lamenting...

People react to things in different ways and have different skin thicknesses. Also, the written word can be misconstrued because verbal nuance is missing. So it is always best to to err toward politeness, which the OP did not really do.

A simple, I don't know what you mean by that, could you explain, would suffice. Any endeavor at all is going to have veterans using terminology that they take for granted. Imagine asking a sailor to explain his rigging. He might very well assume you know port from starboard and what the mainsail is. They would probably have no problem explaining as most everyone passionate about something loves to hook people into their passion. We are no different.

So a simple I don't know the difference between cross bracing and tone bar bracing, could you please explain, will be far more productive. If not, then I agree, you won't get much out of this place.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Oh I see. The message is lost. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by vetus scotia View Post
    Looks like Mark and I had the same idea. The quotation in my post was from RustyMadd back in December. Seemed like a good example of the very sort of inside baseball he is lamenting...
    Really? Those words aren't self-explanatory enough on their own. They are adjectives! Not nebulous names like "Ken"!

You know what, you're just proving what I was objecting to. Clique crap!

Never f'ing mind. I'll take my leave now!

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMadd View Post
    Oh I see. The message is lost. Thank you.
    Did you read the responses to your message?
    Doug Brock
    2018 Kimble 2 point (#259), Eastman MD315, Eastman MDA315, some guitars, banjos, and fiddles

Blog Entries

Have a nice day.

13. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked