Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4-string emando, what’s the best out there?

Default Re: 4-string emando, what’s the best out there?

A friend of mine has a Jazzbo 5-string by Paul Lestock/Arrow Mandolins. I am sure he would build you an excellent 4-string, if that is what you want. They sound fantastic. Here is Jason Anick playing a 5-string.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nestlerode View Post
    I read on the cafe some time ago that Tiny Moore chorded like he was playing a mandola and solo-ed like he was playing a mandolin. It dawned on me at that point that a 5 string mandolin is just a short scale mandola with a cheater e string on top.
    I believe that's backward ...

Tiny also said that as long as he was playing with Eldon Shamblin he didn't have to worry much about chords.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    dang - have you tried your Mann with the low string removed? The low C really threw me off at first. Maybe try it as a 4 and see what you think of the instrument.

I have a 5 string Fender electric that took a bit of getting used to but now I can't see going without it.
    I have been thinking about this a lot, but I feel like that extra empty space on the fretboard would bug me. And does removing the C string leave too little tension?

I like Daniel’s idea of thinking like a mandola with an extra string on top, but I am kinda useless with a mandola - what about doing a normal Mando tuning with two E stings on top? Perhaps there are some interesting things I could do with that and still be able to chord like a mando...

I think I am going to loudly shred the national anthem on memorial day, see if the neighbors like emando!!!
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

If your 5 is a solid body, which I assume it is, removing the C will have little to no effect. Hollow-bodies have a fair bit of give under tension whereas the idea of a solid body is to provide a stable platform for the various bits.

For a short-term solution I don't think the extra space would cause a problem once you get used to it. The search for better gear is ongoing so my attitude is to work with what I got while keeping an eye out for that holy grail.

I play guitar and bass so for me the tenor/mandola tuning with a mandolin on top for soloing works well. I can even get some walking bass-lines happening on the C that makes for a lot of fun with my looper. The low C also allows for some pretty good power chords that sits in a mix nicely.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

5. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

dang