Thread: Ale Brider (a Yiddish folk tune) [on Red Valley Mandolin]

Default Ale Brider (a Yiddish folk tune) [on Red Valley Mandolin]

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PH-Mando For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Ale Brider (a Yiddish folk tune) [on Red Valley Mandolin]

Did not see that there was a category which includes Klezmer. This tune probably belongs in that category.

Blog Entries

Just when I start thinking that there are very few klezmer mandolin players, someone shows up on the mandolin cafe. This is great news.

Klezmer is included in with Jazz, Swing, Blues, Choro, Klezmer, Ragtime. I'm not sure why it is included with these styles but there it is.

There are words to this tune and I was singing along in yiddish. It is a really fun tune and it offers tons of opportunity to 'show off' and play runs and trills while the melody is being played.

Maybe Klezmer belongs rightly alongside European folk. I am working on Flatbush Waltz by Andy Statman. He is an amazing musician and so versatile. Thanks for listening.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PH-Mando View Post
    Maybe Klezmer belongs rightly alongside European folk. I am working on Flatbush Waltz by Andy Statman. He is an amazing musician and so versatile. Thanks for listening.
    It is nice to hear you play! Not everyone is willing or able to make a video. (I've been saying I would do some for years now. ha, ha.)

Andy Statman is indeed a remarkable talent. I wish he would play more klezmer music in public. I was in Brooklyn last month and actually walked along Flatbush Avenue. He plays almost every Thursday in the Village but I could not attend this time. I'll have to watch for a workshop on klezmer, if he will do another.

I wonder how many klezmer mandolin players are out there? I know of someone in New Mexico and a few more in Boston. And I'll bet that there are a few more in the Pacific Northwest. Montreal has a few. I guess there are more than you'd think. And Europe has dozens of klezmer players.
    Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

7. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Great to see some klezmer mandolin

I've been loosely involved with both the Irish music and klezmer scenes in Manchester for about the last 20 years. Admittedly, I play more guitar than mandolin in those genres.

I also started playing with "Mirk on the Irk" - a conceptual gathering of musicians imagining what might have happened in the mid 19th century when on one side of the river Irk in Manchester there was an Irish community and the other a Jewish Community. This is purely imaginary but good fun.

I did mostly play guitar with this but also played flatbush waltz on the mando, that tune has made its way (via De Dannan) into the Irish music lexicon although Irish musicians tend to play it in Em, not Gm.

https://chorltonirishclub.co.uk/even...-over-the-irk/

Another crossover tune we do is one that Lunasa recorded:
    Last edited by Paul Cowham; Apr-18-2019 at 9:02am.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul Cowham For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

That tune in the Lunasa video is called Itzikel. They probably learned it from the Open House - Kevin Burke recording where Mark Graham plays it on clarinet. The tune is from the Kamman Book (#10), a collection of klezmer tunes from the 1920 - 30's. It is not a traditional klezmer tune but a tune written in the klezmer style to mimic the popular fox trot melodies. Talk about "crossover tunes"!

I wish could find musicians in my area with an interest in this style of music to jam with and learn tunes like the one played by Lunasa. Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries

When there is no opportunity to jam or learn from others one can always learn from videos. Watch them over and over, slow them down, play again and again. Computers are very patient.

This thread got me thinking about well known musicians who play klezmer. Andy Statman, David Grisman, Tim O'Brien, (there must be many others).

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DougC For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I've just got to share this video. It is sooooo good. European musicians from Belgium who really know how to do the klezmer phrasing and ornaments. And a mandocello too. Go Ariane ! What great fiddling !!!

Sometimes the best are not very well known. Glad they made this video.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DougC For This Useful Post:

I just posted my attempt at Flatbush Waltz on the "klezmer" section of forum. I had to play it by ear.

Thank you, so good to hear all these clips, playing some of the lines on my instrument now, real joy!

Blog Entries

Here are a couple of my favorite tunes played by some guys you may know.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DougC For This Useful Post:

Thanks for posting this, it’s a nice tune. And it is in a different musical category.
    Yes the category debate, and I was wondering, this is topical because of the European Song contest that was held in Israel.
    Remember that geographically speaking, to get from Europe to Israel by train you have to travel through Turkey, Syria, and maybe Lebanon, or Jordan, but the competition is about having fun, so there you go.

It would be fun too, to hear a North American song contest that would be hosted by a country three countries away -somewhere beyond China maybe. Well maybe that would be just too funny.

Interesting though.

Quote Originally Posted by DougC View Post
    Here are a couple of my favorite tunes played by some guys you may know.

I don't usually know musicians by apprearance. I hear music on the radio or internet but never see them. Sorry, I just enjoy the music and that's it. I almost never see TV and if I am runnig through youtube it's looking at videos for subjects I am trying to learn learning.

So with that in mind who are these guys?
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

22. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:

DougC 

Blog Entries

Smile Re: Ale Brider (a Yiddish folk tune) [on Red Valley Mandolin]

In the mandolin klezmer style video they play a khusidl called Sadigura, named from the town (Sadhora) and a Hasidic dynasty in the area in Bukovina which was part of Romania. (Austria and Ukraine, depending on when you ask, ha, ha.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bukovina

I play it in E freygish but much slower as I love the sound of that mode.
    Sunrise, I like your video about modes and harmonic minors on your website. It is a great resource for practical application of fingerings and 'music theory'.

Here is another tune loved by Klezmorim as well local Ukranians. And Minnesotians - if you include me. It seems that everyone lives a good tune.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DougC For This Useful Post:

Tim Connell is the mandolin player in the foreground. I can't tell who the other is.

26. The following members say thank you to Luna Pick for this post:

Blog Entries

Eric Stein is the other mandolin player. He's from Toronto, a teacher and also a member of the Ger mandolin orchestra. They play all klezmer music and the band is sort of an 'all star' group with members like Mike Marshall, Avi Avital, Brian Oberlin and even Don Stiernberg.

Here is a link to the band's website.

https://www.germandolin.com/members

28. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Nice playing.

The lighting's a little dark so I'll say those RV's are really nice instruments, fit/finish/sound/action and anything else-wise. I've tried a few Red Valley's at the Seattle dealer, Dusty Strings
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

30. The following members say thank you to gtani7 for this post:

In the mandolin klezmer style video they play a khusidl called Sadigura, named from the town (Sadhora) and a Hasidic dynasty in the area in Bukovina which was part of Romania. (Austria and Ukraine, depending on when you ask, ha, ha.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bukovina

I play it in E freygish but much slower as I love the sound of that mode.
    Sunrise, I like your video about modes and harmonic minors on your website. It is a great resource for practical application of fingerings and 'music theory'.

Here is another tune loved by Klezmorim as well local Ukranians. And Minnesotians - if you include me. It seems that everyone lives a good tune.

Hey DougC that’s a great tune.
    Do you, by any chance have the tab for that? -I can actually get some of it by ear but it’s often easier to learn and remember when it’s written down.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by atsunrise View Post
    Hey DougC that’s a great tune.
    Do you, by any chance have the tab for that? -I can actually get some of it by ear but it’s often easier to learn and remember when it’s written down.
    Arkan Dribnyj is the name of the tune. Not sure if there is a yiddish name for it. It is probably a khusidl (pronounced without the k = husidl).
    I do not have the tune sorry Simon. And I agree that a written version helps the memory. It is a fairly simple melody and darned rhythmic, which is why I like the tune. Let us know if you write anything. Maybe I can help refine the result!

Arkan Dribnyj is the name of the tune. Not sure if there is a yiddish name for it. It is probably a khusidl (pronounced without the k = husidl).
    I do not have the tune sorry Simon. And I agree that a written version helps the memory. It is a fairly simple melody and darned rhythmic, which is why I like the tune. Let us know if you write anything. Maybe I can help refine the result!

Here it is. Any errors please comment, I’ve tabbed it like this to get the G and D drones, also if someone could comment on it musically, it’s in Gm harmonic, moves around the fifth mode and also includes the C natural? Is this G Freygish? Are there any other ‘extra’ notes that are sometimes used. What’s the guy singing about? Any Ukrainian speakers? Should this be in another thread? , Thanks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16D6D056-BD70-42D8-9822-403B77594D83.jpeg 
Views:	118 
Size:	761.7 KB 
ID:	176871

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by atsunrise View Post
    Here it is. Any errors please comment, I’ve tabbed it like this to get the G and D drones, also if someone could comment on it musically, it’s in Gm harmonic, moves around the fifth mode and also includes the C natural? Is this G Freygish? Are there any other ‘extra’ notes that are sometimes used. What’s the guy singing about? Any Ukrainian speakers? Should this be in another thread? , Thanks.

Name:	16D6D056-BD70-42D8-9822-403B77594D83.jpeg 
Views:	118 
Size:	761.7 KB 
ID:	176871
    I've asked a Ukrainian friend to listen to the track. I'll look at the questions here. Thanks

Blog Entries

Simon,I could not figure how to attach a pdf to a private message so this is going out to everyone as a 2 page jpg.

I've added a mandolin TAB part for the upbeats and a bass in regular bass clef. This really drives the rhythm!

It sounds really cool with octave mandolin and mandolin doing the same melody an octave above.

What do you think?

Name:	Arkan Dribnyj 1 of 2.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	813.5 KB 
ID:	177034

Name:	Arkan Dribnyj 2 of 2.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	451.9 KB 
ID:	177033

Blog Entries

Here is the audio file of Arkan Dribnyj, generated with Finale software, using mandolins and bass.

https://soundcloud.com/doug-cole-5/a...n-tune/s-PzZnl