Default Re: Showing off my collection of bowlback mandolins

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wlosinger For This Useful Post:

Nice collection! I like bowlbacks.

Me too.
    Eastman 504, Eastman 305, Grafton P-200 open back mandolin banjo

I posted this on the comments under your YouTube video but I will repeat my comments here:

The first two mandolins were both made by Lyon & Healy. That is the Washburn (their best brand) and the second which looks like an American Conservatory, their middle line.

I don't think the Rex was made by Lyon & Healy but by Gretsch or else they had it built for them in the NY/NJ area. Your Washburn is the highest quality of the ones you show. Look around for a decent simple Vega. Those are excellent mandolins and can sometimes be acquired for a good price.

Also, to my ears the best strings (in general) for these vintage bowlbacks are Dogal Calace RW92b Dolce strings. They really bring out the best tone and I use the on many of my vintage bowlbacks. As you can see I like these as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	endshot2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	176026
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    As you can see I like these as well.

Name:	endshot2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	176026
    Wow, Jim, for a minute there I thought it was a picture of Horseshoe crabs coming up onto the beach to mate! (Anyone who has seen this will catch the resemblance). Really though, Jim, just joking. That's a beautiful collection you have there. I'll bet you really enjoy them.

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Clark View Post
    Wow, Jim, for a minute there I thought it was a picture of Horseshoe crabs coming up onto the beach to mate! (Anyone who has seen this will catch the resemblance). Really though, Jim, just joking. That's a beautiful collection you have there. I'll bet you really enjoy them.

Best wishes,

Bob
    I think I did post that photo along with the horseshoe crabs. For your entertainment...

Name:	horseshoe_crab_spawning4.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	712.9 KB 
ID:	176035
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I'm jealous, I would settle for one decent bowlback. But I think that's what holds me back, I only want one...

Personally I would look for a Vega, even a simple one, in good structural shape. They are excellent. Washburns, American Conservatory, Martins (tho higher priced), Weymanns are also good.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Showing off my other mandolins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVuu38eaqMw

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Personally I would look for a Vega, even a simple one, in good structural shape. They are excellent. Washburns, American Conservatory, Martins (tho higher priced), Weymanns are also good.
    +1 on Jim's suggestion for a Vega. I think they are the lightest built, most resonant of the big US makers.
    Folks are on to Vega and Martin, of course, so you'll pay a bit more...or park a bit more money as you'll likely always get your money back out at resale.
    In terms of $$/value ratio: no question for me that it would be Lyon + Healy's American Conservatory line. Same excellent woods they used on their Washburn models. Huge numbers of them were made and they tend to fall under the radar.
    Everyone needs a bowl or two....
    Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig