Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Converting guitar chords

Default Re: Converting guitar chords

I’d already been playing guitar for 30-odd years when I started the mandolin around 7 years ago. Someone told me it was a bit like an “upside-down guitar”. And so, for the first couple of weeks, that’s how I treated it. Which really messes with your head!

After a few weeks, I then decided to actually learn it as a completely new instrument, and that’s when stuff started to fall into place.

Enjoy the journey!

2. The following members say thank you to Johnny60 for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Some people seem to get some mileage out of that “upside down” guitar stuff. More power to them, but I can’t see it that way. I’ve played guitar over 50 years, mandolin only about 5.

To me, going DOWN by 4ths is not at all the same as going UP by 5ths. The note names are the same, granted, and you can find a chord fingering with correct notes by “translating” that way, but for me it would be a codgy way of conversing with a new instrument.

To each his own, of course.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

I have to agree with you mark. It sort of works in open positions, but after that, working out the note, then working out it’s equivalent on guitar, then working out the intervals, rather than just knowing the notes and the chords on the mandolin...
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

One conversion:
    The mandolin is a melodic instrument.
    You may often find yourself playing a melody and then wanting to add a chord. Chords are usually best added BELOW the melody note of the mando. The higher melody note keeps the tune melodic. So the playing would often be on the first string with a chord or maybe an added third double stop (to become a 2/3 major or minor chord) on the second string.

The guitar is very versatile, and to get that fuller melodic/harmonic sound it often plays some sort of melodic-like alternating bass line with chords on TOP.

Here's a pic of a method to convert guitar chords to mandolin, I'll leave the explanation off. Anyone care to solve the puzzle?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guitar:Mandolin.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	176354

Quote Originally Posted by atsunrise View Post
    One conversion:
    The mandolin is a melodic instrument.
    You may often find yourself playing a melody and then wanting to add a chord. Chords are usually best added BELOW the melody note of the mando. The higher melody note keeps the tune melodic. So the playing would often be on the first string with a chord or maybe an added third double stop (to become a 2/3 major or minor chord) on the second string...
    This is why Pickloser’s guide to double stops was sooo helpful to me. I can pick the melody out by ear and now that I know where all the double stop are, I can sprinkle them in, and I know what my options are if I want to form a chord.