Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Silverangel praise

Default Re: Silverangel praise

From what I gather, many agree that Ken make a fine mandolin, and I have no reason to disagree. However, the post is starting to sound like a commercial, IMHO. I realize there is a fine line between enthusiasm and "selling"........in fact, successful salesmanship often blurs those lines.

2. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Markus 

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    From what I gather, many agree that Ken make a fine mandolin, and I have no reason to disagree. However, the post is starting to sound like a commercial, IMHO. I realize there is a fine line between enthusiasm and "selling"........in fact, successful salesmanship often blurs those lines.
    I'm not sure what you were expecting from a topic entitled "Silverangel praise" I don't mean any disrespect, Jeff.

I'll add to it. I have an '07 A model that I believe once belonged to Orrico. It has a nice full sound with lots of bass and I like it very much. It is also a snug fit in the case because of the unusually shaped headstock.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gary Hudson For This Useful Post:

Well, my original intent, which I guess I failed at, due in part to my heading, was to perhaps draw people out who have and enjoy their out of the mainstream brands. Did you pay attention to the early Ruhland threads? Guy comes out of the woodwork with some apparently fine mandolins. But it was also to praise what I feel is a great builder. Why do I think that?

1. The price is exceeding reasonable
    2. The mandolin I have, the only one I've played, is fine in it's own right if you like it's sound.
    3. I happen to like the old look
    4. The price is exceedingly reasonable

I have access to stores that carry a lot of well known and highly regarded mandolins. None are significantly "better" beyond what subjective preference would dictate. So do I want you to try one when Ken Ratcliff, it's maker offers to send you one with no money up front, so you can see for yourself? Emphatically yes, unless you like a bright mandolin with a gloss finish.

Word of mouth is the best sales pitch ever. Do I want a Collings MF Classic? Yess. Ellis? Yes, Gibson F5?, yes. So do I want to sell you on SA? Yes. I want everyone on this forum to die broke with a dozen mandolins, one a Silverangel.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

“He died broke with a dozen mandolins” is going on my tombstone!

To some earlier posters, the only way to earn name recognition is to get people saying the name. Ask a harshly phrased question and don’t be surprised by a harshly phrased response. “Who’s Ken? The builder?” would have been just fine.

And I also think this thread is perfectly appropriate — where else can you try out a high-end brand-new mandolin shipped to your door for free? Even if that’s the only difference between purchasing a Silverangel and any other boutique brand, so be it.

Be careful br1ck — you might lengthen Ken’s waiting list and actually make it harder for us all to get our hands on one

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drew Streip For This Useful Post:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Mine is a Cedar topped Econo A, with a mildly distress "old violin" finish with satin varnish.... it's simply awesome IMHO.

The sound is dark, bassy and deep, definitely favoring the bass range over the mids or highs. I just started using a BC CT55 and it actually brightens it up a little which is really nice! It performed outstandingly at my local jam last night, for sure.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

10. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

Mine is obscure and a fine instrument. It's an Olympia OM6-SW. It equals my friend's Gibson F9 in volume, albeit without the characteristic "bark" but I was using light strings. I'll have another go at him when I put mediums on it. This is an all solid wood instrument made by Young Chang, the famous grand piano maker who also made guitars for Fender in the 70's. They were made for Young Chang's former subsidiary, Tacoma Guitar, in the early 2000's. When Fender stopped selling them a few years after it bought Tacoma the OM6-SW (name changed to "Orpheum") carried a list price of $1284. And it sounds like a $1000+ mandolin.

I bought this on ebay for $240 shipped. A month ago I saw another on Craigslist, not as pristine as mine, which was offered to me for $325. When I take it to Dusty Strings and play it against the $3000 to $5000 mandolins it is clearly not as good. It does however hang with the under $3000 instruments very well. If you get a chance folks, try one of these.

I have a lot of affection for it as I also have a solid wood Olympia Parlor, acquired years ago, which also kicks a$$, is indistinguishable from the Tacoma parlors which go for over $1000 used. I bought mine for $200 and it is serial number 00001. I know this is the first one ever built because the serial numbers on these only go into the thirties. My Olympia Mandolin is serial number 0002 but this is preceded by a batch number so I have no way to know if it was the second ever made, but it's still fun.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030195.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	630.0 KB 
ID:	176088

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Well, my original intent, which I guess I failed at, due in part to my heading, was to perhaps draw people out who have and enjoy their out of the mainstream brands.
    Start that thread! I’d like to read it and contribute to it.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Your wish is my command.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

While I don't have extensive experience with a variety of named mandolins out there, I really did due diligence on line after seeing a classified for a Silverangel #358 here. After reading the posts, You Tube videos, Ken Ratcliff's website all praising Ken's craftsmanship, I felt karma was calling me to contact the owner/seller who happened to live locally near me. The Silverangel in the pictures was authentically vintage looking. The angel hand painted on the back along with scrolled carving was beautiful. I knew when i heard The Silverangel's voice that I would have to search and audition for a long time to find something that could match it's volume, warmth and bright high end. This was what I always imagined and heard that quality a mandolin should sound like. Well, that said I recently bought Silverangel #358 and not only bought a fine instrument, but also met a fine local player and mandolin enthusiast in the bargain.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silverangel.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	912.1 KB 
ID:	176380  

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to roorooroo60 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

I just tried out Ken's most recent Phantasma mandolin and will sing it's praises. It was only narrowly edged out by the 2017 MT2 I went with instead [note: the MT2 was priced for a quick sale - priced nearly the same as the SA, a somewhat unfair comparison]

Ken was great to work with and he makes a lovely mandolin.

The Phantasma had great bass response, a nice woodiness to the tone, played easily and evenly up and down the neck, and was wonderfully unique visually. Really nice shape and feel, I was surprised at how much binding there was, it was truly a lovely mandolin in all aspects.

It was a tough decision A/B-ing them. One of my bandmates vastly preferred the Silverangel. To my ear, the SA was everything my 8 year old US made Breedlove dreamed it could be. While the Breedlove was bright to begin with, it's mellowed with age to a nice `round' sound that the SA resembled [but the SA just had multiple times more in every dimension].

I think it lost out because of that resemblance - while I didn't try the Silverangel for the gig I had [just band practice], I did use the Collings and it's bright cut might not be the greatest thing in my living room but it eliminated my desire or need for a stage monitor. I play a few times a month, the bright tone of the Collings jumped out at band practice too.

Importantly, my wife liked the Collings. I think it's also partly due to the different tonality - she said it's louder, but from sounds nicer to her from the other room. Either way - if your wife thinks buying a nearly $3k mandolin is a good decision you don't say no!

I really appreciate Ken's tryout policy and if the Collings hadn't appeared at such a major discount at the same time I'd be among the ranks of Silverangel owners and quite happily so.

A big thanks to Ken for his awesome tryout policy and lovely work.
    Collings MT2
    Breedlove OF
    Ellie eMando
    Schmergl Devastator

I like to play older country and folk music, and some classical. Are Silver Angel mandolins suitable for these types of music?
    Loar LM-370

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Absolutely. I have an Econo that’s been a great mandolin for me. My mandolin’s tone falls into the more traditional camp, but with more bass emphasis than is typical. I’ve used it to play BG/OT, new and older country, classical, rock, old school hymns and new contemporary Christian, and even some heavier rock, and it did well for all. This was my “next step” mandolin from a Kentucky 675S, and it was a huge upgrade in tone and playability. It kept MAS at bay for probably 7-8 years, and I had to step into the $3000 plus range to find something I felt like was better enough to justify the move. I kept it over an MT I had for a few weeks because I preferred the tone. Every time I’m getting close to selling it I pull it out to check out/play, and I just can’t pull the trigger...
    Chuck

20. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

DocT 

I'm kinda sorta looking toward buying another mandolin, you know how that goes, and I'm just enamored with the scroll now. I keep going back and forth between buying something in the $4k to $5k range, necessitating the selling of my SA A style, or picking up a used spruce top SA F style and keeping the redwood topped SA A.

Not being near Nashville, my experience is limited to Collings, Northfield, and Weber for the most part, and while fine mandolins, and I love the Collings merlot finish, I keep coming back to the SA sound and neck shape. But then again, 5k would get me a fine used mandolin.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Not being near Nashville, my experience is limited to Collings, Northfield, and Weber for the most part, and while fine mandolins, and I love the Collings merlot finish, I keep coming back to the SA sound and neck shape. But then again, 5k would get me a fine used mandolin.
    I basically live in Ken's backyard (East KY). Silver Angel is not in all of our shops. They are rare. It is a small shop boutique company with little in common with Collings, Northfield and Weber other than the obvious fact that they make mandolins. I want a SA because I like the deep woody tone. SA doesn't have "dealerships" as far as I know. SA's have serious cool factor

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Well, my original intent, which I guess I failed at, due in part to my heading, was to perhaps draw people out who have and enjoy their out of the mainstream brands. Did you pay attention to the early Ruhland threads? Guy comes out of the woodwork with some apparently fine mandolins. But it was also to praise what I feel is a great builder. Why do I think that?

1. The price is exceeding reasonable
    2. The mandolin I have, the only one I've played, is fine in it's own right if you like it's sound.
    3. I happen to like the old look
    4. The price is exceedingly reasonable

I have access to stores that carry a lot of well known and highly regarded mandolins. None are significantly "better" beyond what subjective preference would dictate. So do I want you to try one when Ken Ratcliff, it's maker offers to send you one with no money up front, so you can see for yourself? Emphatically yes, unless you like a bright mandolin with a gloss finish.

Word of mouth is the best sales pitch ever. Do I want a Collings MF Classic? Yess. Ellis? Yes, Gibson F5?, yes. So do I want to sell you on SA? Yes. I want everyone on this forum to die broke with a dozen mandolins, one a Silverangel.
    Ha! Yes!

I've listened to a lot of SA mandolins on the internet and the sound is really nice. SA is not at all like most other mandolins. These seem to be warmer, and a little darker. It seems they have just the right sound. Of course, it is really hard to know precisely because it is all recorded and then uploaded so the sound is probably not exact.
    Loar LM-370

“The music is not in the notes, but in the silence between.” ― Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

I contacted Ken Ratcliff. He was nice enough to offer to help me out. He can build and ship to me overseas. I am still a year and a half out from ordering one (too many recent doctor's bills), but his price for an A Model is very compelling and I simply love the sound. That redwood has amazing tonal qualities.
    Loar LM-370

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DocT View Post
    I've listened to a lot of SA mandolins on the internet and the sound is really nice. SA is not at all like most other mandolins. These seem to be warmer, and a little darker. It seems they have just the right sound. Of course, it is really hard to know precisely because it is all recorded and then uploaded so the sound is probably not exact.
    They have a highly distinctive voicing. There is a lot of low end there... and they are quite resonant. It's a big, 'rich' round with plenty of volume. It works especially well in totally solo, unaccompanied situations. The voicing/texture sound substantive and 'full'. It is also good in a small ensemble, old-time, etc. They are quite a long way from the 'dry, cutting' voicing of a Loar (Lloyd, that is). In the interests of balance there are two possible 'negatives' (depending on taste, intent and technique): 1) They can be rather prone to 'pick thump' - a consequence of that very extended low frequency voicing. I'd base that observation on owning two of them at various times . 2) In a hard-driving bluegrass context up against a banjo the 'complexity' may not be what you need. Something more mid-rangy and focused might work better. Neither of these are absolutes, and (as they say) YMMV...
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    They have a highly distinctive voicing. There is a lot of low end there... and they are quite resonant. It's a big, 'rich' round with plenty of volume. It works especially well in totally solo, unaccompanied situations. The voicing/texture sound substantive and 'full'. It is also good in a small ensemble, old-time, etc. They are quite a long way from the 'dry, cutting' voicing of a Loar (Lloyd, that is). In the interests of balance there are two possible 'negatives' (depending on taste, intent and technique): 1) They can be rather prone to 'pick thump' - a consequence of that very extended low frequency voicing. I'd base that observation on owning two of them at various times . 2) In a hard-driving bluegrass context up against a banjo the 'complexity' may not be what you need. Something more mid-rangy and focused might work better. Neither of these are absolutes, and (as they say) YMMV...
    Thanks for that. I am really not into bluegrass, though I like it okay. I am more into folk and old country (think Dark as a Dungeon and Poncho and Lefty for country) and classical music of some types. I like the warm darker tone. Of course, I have no way of playing an instrument before buying it because I am on the other side of the moon. The only mandolin I have is my basic The Loar LM-370 so I doubt there is a lot of comparison between the two, at least I am hoping for something different and better (though this 370 sounds pretty nice as it opens up).
    Loar LM-370

Blog Entries

Well, the comparison between a Silverangel and a 'The Loar' LM-370 will be an eye-opener. Totally different league of instrument.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

As long as the SA stands up to an acoustic guitar in the mix I am okay. There are no banjos, here. HaHaha!
    Loar LM-370

In March, Ken had a trade-in that he offered for sale. I waffled, but finally decided to go for the free trial. Done deal. The tone has been accurately described by others and was what I was seeking. Strong across the spectrum with impressive low end. My jamming buddies are impressed. Per Ken's recommendation, I'm using J75.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

Ken does recommend j 75s. Oddly, I've never tried them on my SA. I did put some on my Arches kit, and if anything, they make it too loud. Friends who have played it in duos and trios say they back off the volume. An SA has plenty of volume for a three piece group, and probably for a full bluegrass band, but I have not done that.

So you might want to cover all bases with an instrument tailored for bluegrass and have the best of both worlds.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Well, I just got the word we are waiting for the varnish to cure, and then Ken will finish it up. Then it has to cross an ocean and make it through customs. Aaarrrggggghhhhhh so close ...

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by stevo58 View Post
    Well, I just got the word we are waiting for the varnish to cure, and then Ken will finish it up. Then it has to cross an ocean and make it through customs. Aaarrrggggghhhhhh so close ...

Steven
    How will he ship it? I want to know the process from start to finish as I am overseas, now, also.
    Loar LM-370