Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silverangel praise

Default Re: Silverangel praise

From what I gather, many agree that Ken make a fine mandolin, and I have no reason to disagree. However, the post is starting to sound like a commercial, IMHO. I realize there is a fine line between enthusiasm and "selling"........in fact, successful salesmanship often blurs those lines.

2. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Markus 

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    From what I gather, many agree that Ken make a fine mandolin, and I have no reason to disagree. However, the post is starting to sound like a commercial, IMHO. I realize there is a fine line between enthusiasm and "selling"........in fact, successful salesmanship often blurs those lines.
    I'm not sure what you were expecting from a topic entitled "Silverangel praise" I don't mean any disrespect, Jeff.

I'll add to it. I have an '07 A model that I believe once belonged to Orrico. It has a nice full sound with lots of bass and I like it very much. It is also a snug fit in the case because of the unusually shaped headstock.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary Hudson For This Useful Post:

Well, my original intent, which I guess I failed at, due in part to my heading, was to perhaps draw people out who have and enjoy their out of the mainstream brands. Did you pay attention to the early Ruhland threads? Guy comes out of the woodwork with some apparently fine mandolins. But it was also to praise what I feel is a great builder. Why do I think that?

1. The price is exceeding reasonable
    2. The mandolin I have, the only one I've played, is fine in it's own right if you like it's sound.
    3. I happen to like the old look
    4. The price is exceedingly reasonable

I have access to stores that carry a lot of well known and highly regarded mandolins. None are significantly "better" beyond what subjective preference would dictate. So do I want you to try one when Ken Ratcliff, it's maker offers to send you one with no money up front, so you can see for yourself? Emphatically yes, unless you like a bright mandolin with a gloss finish.

Word of mouth is the best sales pitch ever. Do I want a Collings MF Classic? Yess. Ellis? Yes, Gibson F5?, yes. So do I want to sell you on SA? Yes. I want everyone on this forum to die broke with a dozen mandolins, one a Silverangel.
    Silverangel A
    Michael Kelly LSFTB
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

“He died broke with a dozen mandolins” is going on my tombstone!

To some earlier posters, the only way to earn name recognition is to get people saying the name. Ask a harshly phrased question and don’t be surprised by a harshly phrased response. “Who’s Ken? The builder?” would have been just fine.

And I also think this thread is perfectly appropriate — where else can you try out a high-end brand-new mandolin shipped to your door for free? Even if that’s the only difference between purchasing a Silverangel and any other boutique brand, so be it.

Be careful br1ck — you might lengthen Ken’s waiting list and actually make it harder for us all to get our hands on one

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew Streip For This Useful Post:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Mine is a Cedar topped Econo A, with a mildly distress "old violin" finish with satin varnish.... it's simply awesome IMHO.

The sound is dark, bassy and deep, definitely favoring the bass range over the mids or highs. I just started using a BC CT55 and it actually brightens it up a little which is really nice! It performed outstandingly at my local jam last night, for sure.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Jacobson Nautilus Oval Hole Prototype

Hand Crafted Mandolin Armrests
    Check them out here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.
    -anonymous

10. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

Mine is obscure and a fine instrument. It's an Olympia OM6-SW. It equals my friend's Gibson F9 in volume, albeit without the characteristic "bark" but I was using light strings. I'll have another go at him when I put mediums on it. This is an all solid wood instrument made by Young Chang, the famous grand piano maker who also made guitars for Fender in the 70's. They were made for Young Chang's former subsidiary, Tacoma Guitar, in the early 2000's. When Fender stopped selling them a few years after it bought Tacoma the OM6-SW (name changed to "Orpheum") carried a list price of $1284. And it sounds like a $1000+ mandolin.

I bought this on ebay for $240 shipped. A month ago I saw another on Craigslist, not as pristine as mine, which was offered to me for $325. When I take it to Dusty Strings and play it against the $3000 to $5000 mandolins it is clearly not as good. It does however hang with the under $3000 instruments very well. If you get a chance folks, try one of these.

I have a lot of affection for it as I also have a solid wood Olympia Parlor, acquired years ago, which also kicks a$$, is indistinguishable from the Tacoma parlors which go for over $1000 used. I bought mine for $200 and it is serial number 00001. I know this is the first one ever built because the serial numbers on these only go into the thirties. My Olympia Mandolin is serial number 0002 but this is preceded by a batch number so I have no way to know if it was the second ever made, but it's still fun.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1030195.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	630.0 KB 
ID:	176088

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    Well, my original intent, which I guess I failed at, due in part to my heading, was to perhaps draw people out who have and enjoy their out of the mainstream brands.
    Start that thread! Id like to read it and contribute to it.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2011 Passernig F5

Your wish is my command.
    Silverangel A
    Michael Kelly LSFTB