Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Toning down a bright instrument

Default Re: Toning down a bright instrument

Quote Originally Posted by mtucker View Post
    I always recommend contacting the person or company who made it first and resolve it that way rather than taking it to an open forum like this. So much can go wrong with this process (miscommunication mostly) that’s not at all helpful to the cause.
    I know this is already a long thread—you are the 50th post—and I certainly understand not wanting to read the whole thread but the OP's mandolin was a Jacobson early prototype and was given by Marty to the OP for free. Marty has commented on this thread and a few of us have brought up the point you are making which is indeed a valid one otherwise.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I won’t belabor this but so there’s no misunderstanding, I did read the thread before my earlier comment... and my point is that it would have been nice to know the mandolin was a freebie and why it was so in the OP’s opening post...unfortunately that was never mentioned until Marty jumped in several posts later. Shows the importance of communicating all the facts and therefore always best left to the two parties as a jumping off point rather than taking it to an open forum.

I'm thinking you are addicted to the Silverangel sound and want your other mandolin to sound more like your SA. There is only so much you can to to alter the tone of a mandolin. Not suggesting you shouldn't try, but I'd sell a bunch more armrests and have Ken make you an oval hole mandolin.

Silk and steel will help some, as will different picks, but at some point you need to decide if you really like your mandolin. Not that I would want to, but there is nothing I could do to make my A 1 anything other than what it is, or come close to brightening up my SA to resemble my Arches tone. My seat of the pants experience has made all the tinkering in the world result in no more than a 3% variance.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

So FYI; if you read through the this thread, you'll notice that back in the spring I determined to try out different strings to change the tone and I did by utilizing Flat Wound strings. Which I liked for a while. So in an effort to update this thread by discussing my recent experience trying out Flat Top strings. As always I appreciate additional advice but I've essentially come to a resolution and am updating an old thread.

Thank you all.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous