Thread: Plugged in: EQ advice for Schertler. Plus, PEDALS!?

Default Plugged in: EQ advice for Schertler. Plus, PEDALS!?

Calling on my mandolin community to help out with a conundrum I have before I go out and spend needless hundreds of dollars.

I'm beginning to play plugged in a bit more (bluegrass band, looking for natural tone, maybe a little eq & reverb). Older Schertler DYN-M XLR top mounted with putty > ART Tube MP > Board.

I'd like to be able to eq myself and wondering what the best option would be. Figured I could go XLR into the ART Tube MP, then 1/4" out to an EQ pedal. Any difficulties there going from the schertler signal (1500 ohms) to something different. Excuse my cluelessness.... I used to use something like a presonus EQ3B, but it literally caught on fire... I've searched far and wide for a small form factor Parametric EQ w/ XLR in/out like that but to no avail.

I'm also intrigued at the idea of getting some pedals in the mix too. Maybe just a small pedal board w/ an eq, tuner & maybe a reverb pedal? Something to use for boosting breaks might be nice too... I tried the Empress PareEq thinking it's be the cats meow, but way too much line noise. Maybe I got a bad one?

Anyone have a setup they'd like to share or insight of what I could use with the schertler that wouldn't break the bank? Open to any ideas... TubeScreamer anyone?

Default Re: Plugged in: EQ advice for Schertler. Plus, PEDALS!?

I plug my Schertler DYN M into a Zoom A3. It has an XLR mic input. It has EQ, reverb, plenty of other effects including some mic modeling, and a boost button. Mine is very quiet and seems to be built well. Runs off of batteries or a wall wart. The tuner doesn't work great, but it will mute you so you can use your headstock tuner. It's one of the few kits that features an XLR input.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

The board should have reverb for your channel so no need for a pedal. I don't like anything in between the preamp and the board. I am using a transducer and pre with a boost so different setup, but no need for an EQ. I get a very nice sound without the EQ. I would experiment with placement of the Schertler before going on a buying spree. It should sound good straight into the board, and you have EQ on each channel that should be sufficient. Boost, not that is another subject. Stepping up to a mic for a lead or playing soft for backup and harder for lead?????
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    I plug my Schertler DYN M into a Zoom A3. It has an XLR mic input. It has EQ, reverb, plenty of other effects including some mic modeling, and a boost button. Mine is very quiet and seems to be built well. Runs off of batteries or a wall wart. The tuner doesn't work great, but it will mute you so you can use your headstock tuner. It's one of the few kits that features an XLR input.
    The Zoom A3 is a good and cheap solution but I think you’ll find they’ve been discontinued. The best solution would be the Eventide Mixing Link.

Zoom A3 is a nice piece of kit especially if you have XLR.
    Here's one for $150
    https://reverb.com/item/21398232-zoo...d-multi-effect