https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F312568346048
    Little over valued don't ya think?
    2012 Arnold Cross F
    1985 Flatiron 2MC
    1980 Kentucky 180S MIJ
    1919 Vega Cylinder Back 207
    1950s Kay Tenor Banjo

Default Re: Only 20k

Yes, particularly because it’s missing a string!

Is that a “head” lurking beneath the cover plate or is it one of the legendary non-resonator resonators? I know “Premier” make drums but not for how long. Quite why the seller asked Martin Guitars for an opinion, I’m not sure.

The ad says "May not ship to Canada." I bet if I sent them $20,000, even in Canadian dollars, they'd ship it to Canada. Nonertheless, I'll pass.
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

When went to eBay I got a message offering me £5 off so it looks to be even better value!

Would be funny to ask them how much they'll knock off since it's missing the implied resonator....

Cool looking, great wall-hanger, but a little rough.........I'm thinking it's about $19,800 too high, maybe more!

But WAIT! Now only $10,000!!!

... but he is open to “polite and informative comments” to help him figure out what it might be. Fortunately, I don’t have an eBay account, which is probably a good thing. i.e. It’s an overpriced piece of ..........

Kinda makes me long for those innocent, early days of eBay when any item could sell for almost any price -- regardless of item or market value --- buyers were bidding for the fun of bidding on this newfangled worldwide selling forum, eBay!

(almost) embarrassed to say how many vintage belt buckles, sunglasses, books, records, etc. that I sold for $500-800 EACH! It seemed to be a magical price range where buyers didn't think too hard and just clicked the Buy It Now. So much money floating around, back then. Alas, buyers have come back to reality and I had to go back to working for a living........ but it was a great run!

And, as a buyer, I also bid on stuff I didn't need just because it was a great deal and to keep someone else from getting it! (and to resell on eBay a week later!)

I never sold a $20K instrument on eBay, but I did sell quite a few $2500 instruments that, in reality, were only $2500 instruments because that was a price I came up with and it only takes one person to agree. (and I was willing to ship worldwide to that doctor in Spain who wanted it!) I wasn't the cheapest, but I did provide the best service and communication. I even sold an "Elvis" guitar to a collector in Japan and delivered it in person to his "agent" at a local Starbucks, believe it or not!

Yep, shame on the economy and shame on eBay not being the latest thing anymore. I still do enough horse trading on eBay to buy a few instruments every month and to feed us, but it certainly ain't like the ole days..........not as much fun, either!

I wasn't around during the Gold Rush of 1849, but I would hazard to say next to finding softball sized nuggets of gold on the ground, eBay was as close as I was able to come.....

I clicked his feedback and see that he is a new eBay member as of January of this year -- who knows, maybe he will have some beginner's luck in finding a buyer....

Now only 5k.

Now a mere 2.5k

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    Now a mere 2.5k
    Going in the right direction -- but not there yet...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Probably to the uninformed, non-player, it looks like it SHOULD be worth money, but unfortunately...........

I know a little bit about stringed instruments, but it seems everytime I gamble on a flute, clarinet, sax, trumpet, etc. -- I end up with a typical "student" model........heck, I've lost money even at garage sale prices!!!

===========

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    . . . it seems everytime I gamble on a flute, clarinet, sax, trumpet, etc. -- I end up with a typical "student" model........heck, I've lost money even at garage sale prices!!!
    One day somebody abandoned a saxophone (with case) in the building where I work. I brought it to a colleague who plays sax, and as expected, I was told that it was only a decent student model. He told me that he would bring it home and check it out for me. Because of my bad lungs, I knew that I would never be able to play the instrument, but I thought that, maybe, for once in my life I could catch a break and sell it for a few bucks . . .

The sax was brought back the next day with the verdict of: 'It doesn't make any noise'. (I didn't know such a thing was possible.) The good news was that it was repairable, but the bad news was that i would probably cost more to fix it than the sax was worth.

Even when I got an instrument for FREE, I couldn't turn a profit!

16. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

The listing is a lesson in how to increase the value of an instrument, just add a hubcap!
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band