Thread: Small area on red Spuce acting like black hole for sealer

Default Small area on red Spuce acting like black hole for sealer

After spraying the second coat of 33% reduced vinyl sealer I have a 2” square patch near the tailpiece base side that can’t get enough and still appears “dry” after spraying as much extra as I could w/o causing the airbrushed trans tint/alcohol dyes to run (too much).

I’m hoping that it will look normal again as I start spraying build coats. But I’m wondering if I should airbrush more sealer onto that area first. Never seen this in my previous builds so I thought I would ask the experts. Thanks
    John

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5F97A1B5-7478-4993-993E-E1146157F753.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	576.5 KB 
ID:	175910

Default Re: Small area on red Spuce acting like black hole for sealer

Nice job. Looks like you may have a little patch of runout there. Now that you have it sealed, you could probably switch to thin coats of your final varnish (I'm assuming you're going with nitro). You could thin the coats further, but I would probably just do a few super thin mist coats of normal viscosity finish first since you get full burn-in with lacquer. I think you'll be fine either way, you may want to let it dry lying down (like it's sitting on the table) to minimize any further creep of the color, and then spot finish that area until you're sure you have a good seal.

3. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post: