Thread: GDAD Tuning

Default GDAD Tuning

Do many of you used GDAD for chording/strumming as well as playing melodies? If so, why? Do you also tune your octave mandolins the same way?
    Thanks,

Default Re: GDAD Tuning

If I tuned my OM that way it would be a bouzouki I tried for a while but went back to GDAE because I was getting too confused switching between OM, mandolin and guitar in DADGAD. For some tunes it definitely added something, others just made them harder to play.

3. The following members say thank you to OneChordTrick for this post:

fox 

Interested to hear others with their experience. I have taken my 22 3/4" OM and tuned it GDAD. My tiny little brain had a tough time adjusting, but I could see how it might be another tool I should have in my toolbox. It isn't hard to tune down a full step. I guess I need to start watching the bouzouki players more.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

GDAD is for me, a great songwriting tool. As is GDGD.
    I don't play trad tunes so... that's why. If you want an example, i'm pretty sure Steve Knightley tuned his tenor to GDAD (capo'd at fifth, or actually CGDG - the dola version) for Show Of Hands' cover of Boys of Summer, which should give a clue as to why i like it.

or the CGDG / CGCG if we tune to CGDA firstly.

I can find std tuning to be a bit "safe" sounding... that's not an accusation, just how my ears hear it... i prefer my chords to have unexpectedly nice intervals driven by open strings.

I am in std at the moment, but i usually wind up back in GDAD/GDGD after a while.

ADAD is also many people's favs.

Conversely, it's fun tuning a mandolin GDAD
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

6. The following members say thank you to Lord of the Badgers for this post:

I use GDAD almost exclusively on CBOMs and tenor guitars. I've even made a little GDAD video series to try and help people get acquainted with the tuning.

https://www.tenorguitarlessons.com/l.../gdad-lessons/

Thanks,
    Baron
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    GDAD is for me, a great songwriting tool. As is GDGD.
    I don't play trad tunes so... that's why. If you want an example, i'm pretty sure Steve Knightley tuned his tenor to GDAD (capo'd at fifth, or actually CGDG - the dola version) for Show Of Hands' cover of Boys of Summer, which should give a clue as to why i like it.

or the CGDG / CGCG if we tune to CGDA firstly.

I can find std tuning to be a bit "safe" sounding... that's not an accusation, just how my ears hear it... i prefer my chords to have unexpectedly nice intervals driven by open strings.

I am in std at the moment, but i usually wind up back in GDAD/GDGD after a while.

ADAD is also many people's favs.

Conversely, it's fun tuning a mandolin GDAD
    That is a rather great version of “Boys of Summer”