Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strap around headstock?

Default Re: Strap around headstock?

A strap is not something I need much of the time, but when I do, I'd attach it like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flatiron Strap.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	335.3 KB 
ID:	175972
    The old Flatiron is showing signs of wear, a well-used instrument, it goes everywhere.

2. The following members say thank you to Cobalt for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Clements View Post
    Check out the mandolin straps made by Bill Bailey.
    Bill makes terrific straps and is a heck of a nice guy to do business with.
    +1 on Bailey straps - ordered one for my A style. I attach it between the tuners to keep it away from the nut.

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    . . . I'm tempted for dead center but I can see how this might interfere with tuning.
    I have it looped between the headstock on my squareneck, and it doesn't affect tuning. I just keep an eye on it to make sure the cord stays away from the keys. And a dobro gives you more headstock acreage than a mando does.

I have to caveat all this, however, by stipulating that I have very little idea what I'm doing.

Like Cobalt, before the G and between the E's.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

There are ways to tie it so the thong is tight around the peghead between both pairs of the G and E posts and the knot is on the back. This way the strap comes off the back side toward you and doesn't touch the tuning buttons.

7. The following members say thank you to dan in va for this post:

Actually I don't tie it on, I simply have the strap on front, under the strings. That keeps it away from the tuner, it goes around the headstock and slips onto a tuner button shaft. One mandolin on the A string, another goes around and to the D string tuner button shaft. Keeps the strap on front with nothing coming off the back to get in the way of the tuner.

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Actually I don't tie it on, I simply have the strap on front, under the strings. That keeps it away from the tuner, it goes around the headstock and slips onto a tuner button shaft. One mandolin on the A string, another goes around and to the D string tuner button shaft. Keeps the strap on front with nothing coming off the back to get in the way of the tuner.
    I saw this done on some show and was just getting ready to ask if anyone did this. Are you worried of any extra stree on the tuner shaft?
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Clements View Post
    Check out the mandolin straps made by Bill Bailey.
    Bill makes terrific straps and is a heck of a nice guy to do business with.
    I agree that Bill makes wonderful straps and I have one. I would mention that they do not have much adjustment so if you decide you want to change the position of your strapped instrument it can be a challenge.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Even if you don't have a raised fingerboard, you can still put a strap around it. I've done this on a variety of mandolin types, including Martin A's and several Gibsons. Here's is a shot of my A-1 wide, with a strap around the end of the fingerboard.

Name:	SUNP0002 (2).JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	175986

1935 Gibson A-1 Wide mandolin
    Late 1800's Unbranded German fiddle

Quote Originally Posted by fentonjames View Post
    Even if you don't have a raised fingerboard, you can still put a strap around it. I've done this on a variety of mandolin types, including Martin A's and several Gibsons. Here's is a shot of my A-1 wide, with a strap around the end of the fingerboard.
    I suppose it varies, but it seems to me that the loop is precariously positioned on a narrow cliff-edge, one small slip away from sliding right up the fretboard and under the strings. At any rate it is I suppose dependent on both personal preference and the geometry of an individual instrument. For example the scratch-plate might be positioned next to the end of the fretboard, where the strap could not satisfactorily go either over or under it.

I saw this done on some show and was just getting ready to ask if anyone did this. Are you worried of any extra stree on the tuner shaft?
    No, the weight of the mandolin is very small compared to the tension of the strings on the tuner. It fits right near the body, not out by the button, so no leverage against the shaft really. It's slick, easy and out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    I suppose it varies, but it seems to me that the loop is precariously positioned on a narrow cliff-edge, one small slip away from sliding right up the fretboard and under the strings. At any rate it is I suppose dependent on both personal preference and the geometry of an individual instrument. For example the scratch-plate might be positioned next to the end of the fretboard, where the strap could not satisfactorily go either over or under it.
    Actually it does really well. It goes around the fingerboard then around the neck heel, where there are 2 nice corners where the heel meets the body. I think that that is actually the spot where the most 'work' is done. Tension caused by gravity while wearing it and having it on tight with a good knot in the first place, will keep it from slipping off the fingerboard end.

Of course, you need a strap that will allow this to work. One with shoestring size leads.

I use this on my big dreadnaught. It should also work on a mandolin headstock with your favorite strap, is easy to detach and does not require any modification to the instrument.

Planet Waves Acoustic Guitar Quick-Release System

Name:	617ImWBzv8L._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	176006
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I decided to attempt a strap make on my own. I was overly wide on this each piece slice is about 3/4" so the braid looks chunky but it feels very nice all I have to do is add the ends. Probably cut those next weekend. So what do you think? This is my first attempt at a hidden braid.

Name:	IMG_9880.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1,016.7 KB 
ID:	176015

I have a strap on the headstock on my A4. It goes through right against the nut Works fine.

I decided to attempt a strap make on my own. I was overly wide on this each piece slice is about 3/4" so the braid looks chunky but it feels very nice all I have to do is add the ends. Probably cut those next weekend. So what do you think? This is my first attempt at a hidden braid.

Name:	IMG_9880.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1,016.7 KB 
ID:	176015
    This three strand mystery braid was just to sloppy for me so I split it down to 6 individual strands and now have this. I like it better and will correct any length issues when I finish the ends. I definitely need to work on consistent tension and getting strands to be consistent in width. I was a bit sloppy cutting the pieces. I found it a bit more difficult than I anticipated. Sadly I found two spots where I messed up the weave and I will have to redo this again but with each try I get a bit better. So for a first try on a round braid it was a good go.

Name:	bQbyq9CIRCuA+sGwnQxt1w.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	369.6 KB 
ID:	176196

The last time I bring this one up. A few pics of my finished, sort of strap. I need to tweak it a bit but it is comfortable could maybe be a bit longer but the hardest part is getting used to a strap. I always play without one even standing. I will probably make it a bit longer so I can still play like I have no strap and if an oops happens it will be there to catch it before it hits the ground.

Name:	IMG_0027.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	176483

Name:	IMG_0028.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	969.2 KB 
ID:	176484

I wove a triangle shaped crown on either end and then tied the end pieces on like some of the laces on baseball gloves are tied.