Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Chip meltdown

Default Re: Blue Chip meltdown

Was a big fan of BC when they first came out. Used them pretty much exclusively on guitar for about a decade. Have 6 at present.

That said, most of my playing these days on either guitar or mandolin is either celluloid or Tortex type picks in 1mm thickness. Maybe up to 1.2mm for the Collings. Just like the sound of them better. They don't stick as well to the fingers, or glide off the strings the same. They do have less pick noise and the instruments are just as loud.

Maybe someday will go back to the BC, or the Wegens. Or one of the other myriad other picks. But for the first time in a long time, am content with what I'm using.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

I like the way my TAD 60 sticks right onto my thumbpad, like, immediately. So then I can loosen my grip and still not drop it. I’m following Mike Marshall’s instructions: “You should drop the pick every now and then.”

3. The following members say thank you to Bill Findley for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by danostrowski View Post
    Interesting, maybe I should compare them a bit more, now I'm curious. I will say the label has worn off my main Dunlop where it didn't on the BC, but that's of little concern to me! I should inspect the edges to see how the wear is going.
    I may not have even noticed it if I’d just been playing fiddle tunes at home, but one Sunday we played a couple of Rend Collective songs in church on which my role is energetic rhythm. They’re a lot of fun to play. Anyway, this occurred about the time I found some Primetones locally, so I used them to practice that week and on Sunday. I played a lot and very hard, and there was very noticeable wear on the picking point/edges. I’ve had one of my BCs for over 7 years and have played that lineup several times as well as used it for almost daily playing on my main mandolin. It has a slight degree of wear on the main point/edge, but it’s really nominal considering the abuse it’s taken. And, there are 2 other fresh points just waiting for me to spin the pick a little

The Primetones are really good picks. If I’d used a Fender Heavy on that lineup the mandolin would look like a fiddle covered in rosin from all the pick dust, and the pick would have been a nub. I’m at a point where I prefer and can afford BC, and I’m not a pick loser, so they’re my current preference. Back when I couldn’t afford BC/stomach the thought of the price, I used Fender Heavy. Then I got some Wegens for Christmas, and used those forever. I still use them sometimes and prefer their tone on a couple of my mandolins. If Primetone had been around then, who knows, I may have been a devoted follower...
    Chuck

5. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Packard View Post
    Me too...

Now I am in love with the EML PEEK pick. It's harder to hold onto but what an amazing sound.

Billy

billypackardmandolin.com
    Yeah, I those too. And Eric, the owner of EML, seems like a really cool guy.

M&M

Quote Originally Posted by kurth83 View Post
    It also sounded like a song title. :-)
    Exactly, as in "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" or "Orange Blossom Special". It's the "Blue Chip Meltdown". Some one needs to write this as a mando-centric tune.

Blog Entries

Actually now that BC is doing thumbpicks, this new song could also be banjo or Dobro-centric...
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

9. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by dhergert View Post
    Actually now that BC is doing thumbpicks, this new song could also be banjo or Dobro-centric...
    Thanks for the tip, I did not know BC made thumb picks. I'm a guitar thumb-picker and I need a BC. Love my CT-55 for mandolin.

11. The following members say thank you to Hudmister for this post:

I recently got my second BC, but I use Wegens a lot too. It's the same as playing a $3k mandolin and then a $6k mandolin. If you don't notice much of a difference, save your money. Considering you can buy one used and sell if you don't like it, not much to lose.

I used to lose pens all the time. I was given a really nice one, and used it for ten years, so you'll pay attention. Rather than use one pick for everything, each of my picks go to a particular instrument, so they are always stuck in the strings of that instrument.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Just discovered D’Andrea Radex, in the 346 shape, 1.25 mm. Put down my Primetones and left the BC, Wegen, Red Bear in the case.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Quote Originally Posted by danostrowski View Post
    I am not a very good player, but when I switched from the random picks I'd gotten at Gryphon to a BlueChip CT 55, I could IMMEDIATELY see why these were renowned. Amazing, just felt right in every way.

However, someone eventually put me on to the Dunlop Primetone Triangle, and it's basically the same pick (at least as far as I can tell) and it's way less money. The shape is great, the plastic seems to play the same. I dunno how similar the TAD 50 and the CT 55 are, but they look very similar, to me, so I would suggest maybe try a pack of these out, they're only $5 for 3.
    I second this recommendation. I have 4 Blue Chip picks of various sizes and shapes. They’re great, no doubt. Now, I’m not a frugal person - I suppose that goes without saying since I have about $160 tied up in 4 picks (They’re about $40 each after shipping) - and I FREAK OUT when I lose one, even if I know it’s laying around the house somewhere and will eventually turn up.

I have a bunch of Wegan picks. Maybe 20-30? They’re great too. Different than Blue Chip, but great in their own way. In fact, I would encourage everybody to try one if they have the means. Once I got the PrimeTone, I immediately thought about how similar they are to Blue Chips. Same? Not quite. For me, it’s 90% of a Blue Chip at 5% of the cost. Size, shape, bevel, and tone are very similar to the CT55 or the TAD line of BC picks. I picked up a bag of 12 from stringsandbeyond.com for $12 when they were running a sale. Come in 3 packs for about $5 as mentioned by danostraowski.

Of course, YMMV.

I find Primetones feel nothing like my BC picks, nor do they sound the same. Maybe if I spent some time polishing the surface they would glide over the strings like a Blue Chip.

I don't dislike Primetones, I just find them different. Out of all the picks I've tried, they come in third after BCs and Wegens. Wegens hit the value/performance sweet spot.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by Hudmister View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I did not know BC made thumb picks. I'm a guitar thumb-picker and I need a BC. Love my CT-55 for mandolin.
    You might want to try one out before buying... I play 5 sting banjo and I bought one thinking I would like it as much as my CT55. Hated it! The blade is BC, but the band is metal. The blade was too long, and the metal band felt like it was going to rotate - and yes, it was the right size! YMMV!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    I find Primetones feel nothing like my BC picks, nor do they sound the same. Maybe if I spent some time polishing the surface they would glide over the strings like a Blue Chip.

I don't dislike Primetones, I just find them different. Out of all the picks I've tried, they come in third after BCs and Wegens. Wegens hit the value/performance sweet spot.
    Agree on the Wegens. I like their little mando chip, and the Bluegrassers are great for guitar. As you say, a lot of performance for not a lot of moolah.

Try Jim Dunlop Primetone Triangle 'Sculpted Plectra' 1.5 or 1.4. Unbelievable value for less than $3.

Choices of notes are
    so much more special then the
    choice of the plectrum

Nice heiku

Just gotta Radek
    The feeling is too spongy
    More click with BC

You should drop that over at the old haiku string. It's about time someone rejuvenated that post!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    My guess is that he buys the material in sheets and cu it down rather than mix the plastic himself. They should really be called Brown Chip or Chocolate Chip Picks.
    For my budget, a Potato Chip is about the best I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post

There are 2 different types of Primtones. The textured ones don’t sound or feel much like the BC, but the smooth ones do in my opinion. Have you tried both?

I have purchased and lost my fair share of Blue Chips. I sold all of mine except for one which I keep in the key chain holder on my keys. But I haven't used it in months. Not that I don't like it but I think I like these more and I can lose them without worrying.

Name:  Ultex 1.14.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  7.0 KB

I'm glad folks like their blue chips. I bought a couple a few years back and never really "got" what was exceptional about them. They were fine but I liked the feel and tone with my Wegen M200's better. Then I thought "maybe I just need a thicker one". The Goins brothers were at the last Wintergrass with a whole bunch of picks. I got a standard guitar teardrop and rounded mando triangle shape in the 80 size (about 2 mm) from Matt. Real good guy, gave me a good deal. I really want to prefer these BC picks but it seems I still like my Wegen or even some cheapo thick acrylic picks better.

26. The following members say thank you to Mandobart for this post:

BCs are like any other thing, it depends on what you like, what you need and what sounds good. I love my BC jazz pick for my Eastman but it just doesn't sound good on my snake. So it stays with the Eastman where i won't lose it and i really like it there.
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

No BC fan should suggest you are going to like them, but I do think people should fork over the cash to try one. You can buy a used one from the classifieds, or buy new and sell in the classifieds if you don't like it. It's the only way you can tell for sure. It's much the same for tone guards and arm rests.

Then you can post your opinion on the next BC pick thread.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I use BC Tad 40 and CT-55. I also keep Dunlop Prime Tones in similar thicknesses. I use the textured Primes when I have a bit of hanging on to them probs. I sand my BC's for a bit more grip.

I'll never have anything other that these two types at this stage of my carreer. The BC's sound a bit better and are slicker on the string

I used tortoise for years, but found myself getting too dependent on one single pick that had shaped itself to me. Now I like to have a pocketful that feel the same
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

For a long time the only pick I used was a primetone 2.0mm. Now the one I am using is a Roman pick from Clifford Essex Music. I guess preferences change. It seems well suited for melody and is easy to hold. They are not overly expensive either. It’s not a shape BC makes, and I doubt they ever will. I have found myself glancing at the Red Bear site.