Thread: Breedlove, Tenor, Revival OM M

Default Breedlove, Tenor, Revival OM M

Do any of you have experience with this particular tenor? Thoughts, experience, ratings with other tenors, etc. thanks, J.C. Bryant

Default Re: Breedlove, Tenor, Revival OM M

My only experience is that I can't find one to have an experience. I'm interested in your results. Thanks for posting.

Larry

There was one on Reverb that just sold. Did you buy it? I had a similar model (T/Sme) that was fantastic all around but ultimately not for me, though I have enough regret that I was watching this one.

It's a tenor for people who want to play down low (GDAE, FCGD as I had it) - 24+" scale, OM-size body. If you're playing in CGDA, it's literally more guitar than you need and would be a royal pain to keep an A string on there.

Ultimately I wanted more bottom end than I was getting from it. I suppose I could have had the braces scalloped, but it was already on the edge of the "can I afford to keep it?" ledge.

4. The following members say thank you to Seonachan for this post:

LarryH 

Thanks. Do you know the Reverb asking price? The last one I found was in Singapore... and I'm not going there.

Larry

This is the listing. Asking price was $2000, though the seller could have accepted a lower offer.

Thanks, again. I missed seeing that one, entirely. Saved some money, too. ;-)

It's a lot of $$ to put out for something you haven't touched.

Larry

I'm amazed the one on Reverb was listed at $2000 - I know these were pricey back in the day, but the Revival series didn't have good resale value in the guitar world - the six string Revival OM-M Deluxe can be found in the $1300-1500 range. I had one briefly (the 6 string, not tenor) and it was a well made instrument, sounded awesome but ultimately the 1 3/4 nut width didn't work for me. I'd love to try one of the tenors.
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I think the real scarcity of the tenors combined with their unique features (size & scale) make them retain their value better than a 6-string that has tons of direct competitors in its class. It's a tiny market to be sure, but if you really want one your choices are likely to be: buy this one now or wait a few years for another one to pop up.

The last one I saw up for sale was 2-3 years ago on Elderly. I think the price was more like $1500-1600. That's probably as reasonable a price as you'll find for one.

10. The following members say thank you to Seonachan for this post:

I am the one that bought the Reverb one (less than asking price, though). I have had several tenors and have sporadically heard wonderful reviews of this particular tenor but, as you have said, they are very scarce. There is one listed in London (Coda, it think) and they are willing to ship and the end price is about what I paid, there about's. I do have some concerns about the scale length though. I admittedly like the shorter scale, 21" or so. If the scale is, at first too long, I plan to capo at the second fret and tune to FCGD ( I think). I am not an accomplished player but like the sound of tenors, simple strumming and some melodies, tunes fiddle tunes ( slower), etc. I think the OM body with the tenor neck will be a good combination. I do wonder, though, should I put on heavier gauge strings if I plan to down tune and then capo? thanks everyone for your input.

I would try the strings that are on them first (assuming they aren't already beyond their best by date). If you first play a bit in GDAE and then tune down and compare, you'll have a sense of whether those gauges are right for you. If the sounds gets weaker, the strings feel floppy, and you're unintentionally bending notes out of tune, you'll need to beef up the gauges. On the other hand, if the strings are already on the tense side, loosening them down a full step might open up the sound.

Well, the deal on the Breedlove fell through thanks to the USPS. But it may come back up so be on the look out! They, IMO, are very scarce on the sell scene.

Thanks for the update, but very curious about the problem with USPS. Can you illuminate?

Thanks,

Larry

The seller was a great man. I paid for the guitar, he sent it, via USPS, It then set in a particular post office for 8 days with no signs of when it would move, and could not be moved. I was exasperated and just called the deal off.

Thanks, JC. The wonderful and enigmatic world of USPS.

Larry

RedKnucklesUnclesCousin GKWilson's Avatar

JC has asked me to comment on my OM. The first thing always brought up is the scale. This makes it perfect for playing in GDAE tuning. I believe if you play guitar it would seem natural if not a little short. If you play only mandolin it would feel a bit long. I have tuned it down and capoed it at the second fret when I wanted to play fast paced melodies. That brings it to slightly over 21". These have heavier strings so there is no problem in doing this.
    Mine is Spruce/Hond. Mahg . With the OM body, longer scale and heavier strings these guitars have a fuller, louder sound and have a beautiful round singing sound while playing melodies. If you're a singer these are great for backup chording.
    Writing this makes me a little sad. This is the first time I've posted on the Cafe' for a few years. I have this great Tenor and a Republic Highway 49, three really fine mandolins, and two nice Octaves but haven't been able to play them in three years. I've been holding on hoping circumstances would change, But. reality is setting in. So it is sad to lose such a big part of your life.
    I don't get to the Cafe' much anymore. But I'll try to keep up with this thread for a few days if there are any questions. Or feel free to PM me.
    vincit qui se vincit

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GKWilson For This Useful Post:

Thanks, Gary, I very much appreciate your input. It is my hope the perceived direction of your circumstances can, somehow change and you can renew your musical activities. I've sent you a PM and hope we can all benefit from your thoughts and comments on the cafe! thanks, J.C.

If I ever actually get my hands on one, I intend to tune down and capo like Gary suggest. I enjoy the quest and look forward to the capture of a Breedlove Tenor. Thanks,