Thread: M&T vs. Dovetail

2TonCommon
    The Land of Copious and Unrelenting Gnats

Default M&T vs. Dovetail

Hello all.
    Kind of wondering(peeved?) about the tonal/strength difference, if any, between a neck attached via M&T/glue/and screws(see pre-2018 Weber necks) versus a neck secured with a dovetail joint. I don't mean to be cynical, but is this a bona fide improvement to an already excellent brand by all accounts, or a way of doing an "Improved Martin Shuffle" for increased sales? For years Weber has been touted, rightfully so, as a top-tier brand and now it seems the pre-dovetails are considered "inferior" by some. Not me. Sorry if I sound a tad skeptical/grumpy, but I've seen this happen several times by the higher end brands in all genres(guitars, banjos etc.) so as to make a few more bucks. Maybe I'm totally off-base, and if so, will readily acknowledge the error of my ways, but perhaps someone smarter than I can opine on this. Hope I didn't offend anyone.

Forgot to add(edit): This post is in response to a certain salesperson that got my goat. It has NOTHING to do with Weber or their instruments.
    Last edited by 2TonCommon; Apr-02-2019 at 3:46pm. Reason: Clarification
    "Of all the harm that ere' I've done,
    Alas, it was to none but me."

Goodnight and Joy be to you all!

Default Re: M&T vs. Dovetail

There is a long history of marketing perceived value for higher profitability. Perfected in all it's glory by Gibson's putting a $50 pretty maple cap on a Les Paul and charging thousands more. Collings seems to do pretty well with their neck joint. But reality sometimes has very little to do with what the marketplace demands. I think Weber adapted to the marketplace rather more than thinking tone was all that much better. I have to assume Bruce Webber made a few mandolins early on with various features. You think Bill Collings didn't experiment?

So we end up with red spruce bracing, hot hide glue, varnish finishes, etc. piled on top of everything else to justify big dollars. Do these things actually dramatically alter the sound? IMHO, not nearly to the extent that choosing the best wood and having the most talented builders in the shop building the instruments does. I postulate that diverting that premium wood toward making a Gallatin would yield a premium sounding instrument. I only know what the finished instrument in my hand sounds and plays like. Put them behind a screen in a blind test. I doubt I could tell the difference. I only know if I like it or not.

But if you want to unload your inferior Weber I'll give you a nice lowball offer.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Br1ck For This Useful Post:

2TonCommon
    The Land of Copious and Unrelenting Gnats

Not a Chance! I love my Weber.
    I should have added to my original post that I got irritated with a snarky "salesperson" who was bad-mouthing Weber after I excitedly told him what I had. (I did not purchase the strings I had intended to buy, nor will I do business with them again - "nuff said.") I absolutely love my instrument and wouldn't part with it for anything. Sorry:-)
    Hope I didn't give anyone the wrong impression - just didn't like his tone.
    "Of all the harm that ere' I've done,
    Alas, it was to none but me."

Goodnight and Joy be to you all!

Nope. I don't think it makes a difference. Have a friend with a great sounding Weber that has a M&T joint. And I personally think some of the best sounding modern Martins are made with M&T joints.

But like Br1ck said, perception can be a big part of reality. Some folks aren't going to like it. Forget them. Not worth wasting time trying to please everyone.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

6. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Between us kids, it is likely that the real reason for the change was to consolidate manufacturing processes with existing Two Old Hippie brands and building techniques.
    Think -- Ford Explorer/Lincoln Navigator/Mercury Mariner

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Sorensen; Apr-02-2019 at 11:52pm.
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve Sorensen For This Useful Post:

Stradivarius often used nails in his neck joints; 'nuff said....

10. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

Teacher, repair person

Collings has been bolting on their guitar necks for at least a couple of decades.
    I don't know if their mandolins are bolt-on's or dovetails.

12. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by grandcanyonminstrel View Post
    Stradivarius often used nails in his neck joints; 'nuff said....
    But they HAVE to be hand forged to have the Strad sound!
    :-)
    Adrian

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HoGo For This Useful Post: