Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inherited a Washburn Cremonatone Bowlback from about 1905

Default Re: Inherited a Washburn Cremonatone Bowlback from about 1905

Coolest thing! I was trying to figure out the best way to hang the bowl back. Turns out String Swing will modify the UK/Mando hook by putting a longer stem on it (like they do for the Jumbo Guitar) and then will send direct to me! Totally jazzed about that because I do like those hangers the best. If anyone is interested, I spoke to Claudia.

As far as my lessons on the Eastman, they are going well! It's not as difficult as I thought it would be so that's encouraging. And my teacher is great. Enjoying it a lot. So appreciate the help you all have given me. I never did attach the pictures of the 1905-06 Washburn 225 after it was cleaned up, so will do so here.

*Disclaimer: the first picture and maybe the second too looked really odd when loading. Not sure what that's about because they are great pictures. The mandolin looks terrific!!

Jan

[ATTACH=CONFIG]176498 [ATTACH=CONFIG]176499 [ATTACH=CONFIG]176500 [ATTACH=CONFIG]176501 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1124.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	908.8 KB 
ID:	176502[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1114.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	176498   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1115.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	176499   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1119.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	960.5 KB 
ID:	176500  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1121.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	509.9 KB 
ID:	176501  

Your mandolin looks really wonderful. I'm glad you are enjoying the lessons. I can remember when I started and for years after my family members would ask me why I did not play any tunes. In fact, I was busy mastering the tremolo and fretting a note without dropping the pick. I am currently forcing myself to learn some tunes and one is The Entertainer by Scott Joplin which I hope will shut them up. I do play a couple of J S Bach pieces but most of my playing is just jamming along which is what suits me- not an audience of ingrates.

Quote Originally Posted by NickR View Post
    Your mandolin looks really wonderful. I'm glad you are enjoying the lessons. I can remember when I started and for years after my family members would ask me why I did not play any tunes. In fact, I was busy mastering the tremolo and fretting a note without dropping the pick. I am currently forcing myself to learn some tunes and one is The Entertainer by Scott Joplin which I hope will shut them up. I do play a couple of J S Bach pieces but most of my playing is just jamming along which is what suits me- not an audience of ingrates.

Thanks, Nick. The cool thing is that the only thing they did do the mandolin was put it in the humidifier for a week, clean it, re-glue the edging on part of the fretboard (it hadn't broken off, but was lose) and put new strings on it! It's amazing to me because it was never in a case, and while I know my grandfather and my father "took care of it" I don't believe anyone knew about the humidity issue and in its early years, it was moved (from one house to another) several times.

I am extremely impressed that you can play The Entertainer!! and Bach pieces too! I'll be doing well when I get to the point of being able to play Tom Dooley Right now, I'm just trying to keep track of where the fingers are on my left hand, remembering to strum ON the beat, remembering to relax my feet (I seem to clench them when practicing!) and counting or keeping an eye on my metronome app! Fun though!

Keep it up and you will learn a lot more. I learned the piano as a child and can play those Bach and Joplin pieces on the piano- so they are in my head although I rarely play the instrument these days. I have just transferred that knowledge over to the mandolin which I learned to play purely by ear. My problem is that if I hear the music, I can play it- but if there is no music as a guide, I cannot- unless like those pieces they were loaded into my brain, years ago. When I spent some time busking, I had what I wanted to play on CD and played it through a portable player and headphones- and played along with it! As I wrote earlier, I am determined to learn a few pieces without recourse to that methodology. I can do Jesus Joy of Man's Desiring, okay and I will force myself to do The Entertainer, as well.