Thread: Thomastik Strings

Default Thomastik Strings

A few people have recommended Thomastik strings to me recently. I know they're far more expensive than the D'Addario J74s I have always used. In the Cafe, I typically see them used or discussed with regard to classical-type mandolins, notably the lighter gauges on a Pheonix Neoclassical instrument, and I gather the J74s are more traditional for grassers.

I play an Eastman A605, which has some "bark" to it but I play a wide variety of music styles. What's the benefit of these strings, can I play them as hard as J74s, and do they lend themselves to certain instruments or certain styles of playing?

Just wondering because I don't know much about them, but a lot of folks seem to be using them -- At $44 a set, there has to be an advantage somewhere!

Default Re: Thomastik Strings

This thread is pretty recent, check it out. I think if you’re wondering then just get a set and try them, I love them, yes...they are getting pricey but I’ve had the current set on for 3 months now and not changing anytime soon so if you like them the price amortizes out. There are sales sometimes at places like Strings and Beyond, etc so keep an eye out.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...278-TI-strings
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Thanks.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Luber View Post
    What's the benefit of these strings, can I play them as hard as J74s, and do they lend themselves to certain instruments or certain styles of playing?
    TI's seem to offer reduced tension, corrosion, and squeak although some feel that those virtues come at the expense of brightness, cut, and volume. I like them on my National RM-1 where the instrument appreciates the benefits and mitigates the deficits. While generalizations are always dangerous, and most rules have exceptions, flatwounds are more associated with jazz than traditional bluegrass.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5