Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TI strings

Default Re: TI strings

I actually found strings I liked on my Vega and bought a butt load. I should have enough for years to come which is good because I think that company went out of business. I also had to go through acoustic music works to get them because you needed to order a certain volume to import them.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    I actually found strings I liked on my Vega and bought a butt load. I should have enough for years to come which is good because I think that company went out of business. I also had to go through acoustic music works to get them because you needed to order a certain volume to import them.
    What strings do you use? I love Dogal Calace Dolce strings on my Vega bowlback. Bernunzio carries them but years ago there was a bow shop in San Diego who were the only ones who carried them.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    What strings do you use? I love Dogal Calace Dolce strings on my Vega bowlback. Bernunzio carries them but years ago there was a bow shop in San Diego who were the only ones who carried them.
    Jim, you know this is the Vega you sold me quite a bit ago? The strings are some that you or Victor, or Martin turned me onto. Turns out I don't have as many as I thought, only 7 sets left. Lenzner Consort

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9874.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	949.2 KB 
ID:	175984
    Last edited by John Bertotti; Apr-12-2019 at 8:46pm.

Here in Germany, TIs are not that expensive. And you can buy similar strings by Pyramid, Fisoma and Optima for even less money. I like them on all my mandolins.
    Here's how they sound on my Breedlove FF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JUmr0WXPgU
    On my Pomeroy A2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKEMV5HEIhQ
    And on my Guriema Bowlback: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIjFPLifOPM
    As others have pointed out, it's a sound that mixes well with that of a classical guitar.

5. The following members say thank you to crisscross for this post:

Jim, you know this is the Vega you sold me quite a bit ago? The strings are some that you or Victor, or Martin turned me onto. Turns out I don't have as many as I thought, only 7 sets left. Lenzner Consort

Name:	IMG_9874.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	949.2 KB 
ID:	175984
    7 sets should hold you for awhile. I may even have a few sets of those somewhere. However, I do like the Calace strings.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    7 sets should hold you for awhile. I may even have a few sets of those somewhere. However, I do like the Calace strings.
    It their tone similar to the Lenzner? I may have to give them a try. This little bowl back is quite loud with the Lenzner and sounds really sweet.

Strings and beyond has 15% off TIs and free ship, comes in at under $40, just fyi

10. The following members say thank you to Bunnyf for this post:

Who am I to turn down a sale. I bought two more sets for future use.

I thought it was this thread but didn't see it running through the posts again but FYI. I notice ti said that the windings unraveled quickly once the end was trimmed back. I noticed one silk end start that but I just grabbed a piece of paper and some Loctite super glue and put a dab on each end very lightly, nothing is unraveling anymore. I was so cautious as I didn't want any of that stuff on my mandolin.

I just need to decide if they are 50$ sweet or not. I like to have a spare set on hand just in case but I need to think this one over really well before I plop down another 61.90 after shipping...
    I haven't read through all of the posts but I wanted to mention my experience with TI's. While the subject of cost inevitably comes up when discussing Thomastik, one thing that you need to remember is that they will last at least a year, if not more, depending on how often you play. I am using D'Addario's flatwound strings now but used TI's for over 10 years and usually got between 12 to 16 months out of them before installing a new set. When you think about that cost of a new set and divide that over 16 months, it comes out to about $4 per month. There are lots of players that put on a new set of J74's or EXP74's every two months or even less, which over time comes out to way more money than the one set of Thomastiks.

As for a backup set. Certainly you would need to purchase two sets initially, but after I put a second set on I kept the first set as my backup in case of a string break. Fortunately, I never had to use them as I never broke a string the entire time I used Thomastik. I did put a old set on a cheap beater mandolin and used them for another year.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

I bought two more sets as back up or future use whichever comes first when there was a sale a couple of weeks ago. So far I like them enough to have paid for three sets. I have only one mandolin that can use them my bowl back is far to light to even think of putting them on. I tried using old strings once as a backup. I don't know how people do it and have it work. It seems the ends always break on me so they are too short.

I tried using old strings once as a backup. I don't know how people do it and have it work. It seems the ends always break on me so they are too short.
    TI flatwounds are a whole different animal when it comes to being old. I would never consider using a set of used bronze strings for backup, but flatwound strings don't oxidize like bronze so the surface of the string changes little over time. The only reason I change flatwound strings at all is the part of the windings that press against the fret start to wear down and will start to cause intonation and tuning issues. If you needed a backup put on in a pinch, using a used flatwound string is a much better option than having to break into a whole new set. Like I said before though, in over 10 years of using them I never broke a string so there was never a need to use a backup.

I am using D'Addario's flatwound strings now and the set that are installed right now have been on for 17 months. A good friend of mine is a luthier and gets strings at cost so he ordered a few sets for me. However, we live far apart and I haven't seen him since December of 2017. I've had no backup set of strings for that entire time. The strings still sound great. I actually might see him this Wednesday and finally get my strings.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

I use Thomatstik strings on my A Junior and my Dobro. They play beautifully, smoothly and accurately for classical and old-time music. Maybe if I had to worry about cutting through a wall of *noise* from other instruments, I'd want something else, but these work very nicely for me. Tone is great -- and my ears appreciate the lack of janglyness.

TIs seem to hold their pitch better than other strings. Weather changes that affect other strings often don't bother the Tis. And of course they last forever. Sometimes I feel the need to change strings just because they have been on for such a long time. "Oh gosh, I feel embarrassed to be playing "old" strings!" But usually they don't really need changing --they're still good!

And if I don't need think about strings needing replacement, it's always good to have one less things to think about.

I also like that I can slide and elide from one note into another smoothly and silently -- gives me a feeling of control.

I have never broken a TI string. They must be made of good stuff. Now then, the wrappings on the ends of the strings are a little over-the-top. It's a little like driving your Porsche to the grocery store -- pretty nice but not really necessary.

Of course, these strings are expensive -- more expensive than any other strings that I know of. It's kinda like the Porsche: one of those things where you get what you pay for.

And as a side question: Why are violin strings so amazingly expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Strabo View Post
    Now then, the wrappings on the ends of the strings are a little over-the-top. It's a little like driving your Porsche to the grocery store -- pretty nice but not really necessary.
    They actually do serve a function. Because it's a flat winding on a round core, if you cut the string before tensioning it up a bit, the windings will come undone and you will have really weak tone. Even if it doesn't look like it's unwound, it will be not as tight, resulting in unproductive vibration of the string and premature failure. So the silk windings are pretty necessary.

18. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    They actually do serve a function. Because it's a flat winding on a round core, if you cut the string before tensioning it up a bit, the windings will come undone and you will have really weak tone. Even if it doesn't look like it's unwound, it will be not as tight, resulting in unproductive vibration of the string and premature failure. So the silk windings are pretty necessary.
    I’ve always believed the silk wrappings are responsible for the tuning stability of TI strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Strabo View Post
    And as a side question: Why are violin strings so amazingly expensive?
    Because they’re constructed very similar to TI mandolin strings. All violins strings that I know of are flatwound.

So I'm into these strings since April 6th and I like them more every day. I do hear a difference the upper zap I had with my D's isn't there in the same fashion. I'm not sure what the correct term is. These are a bit more round and blend in a bit better. I did buy extras sets to have on hand but hopefully, I won't need them for a long while. While listening and playing along with the Irish peghead nation course my mandolin sounds very similar to Marla's so I am quite pleased. Never the less it will take some time to see if the price was worth it.

Glad you like them, I’ve had a set on for about 4 months now - since mid-Jan. I was thinking it was time to change them as they seemed to be sounding a bit different but everyone at my jam group assured me the mando tone still sounds great so I’m going to leave them on a bit longer.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

I’m liking the TIs on my mando but I’m getting a little buzz on my treble side D string. I have very low action and didn’t want to do any permanent fiddling with the nut slot, so I put a little bit of paper under that string and all good.

I find the E and A strings lose their “oomph” and I replace them with daddario steel strings!
    Does Anyone else in Cafeland do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Canada View Post
    I find the E and A strings lose their “oomph” and I replace them with daddario steel strings!

I have not, but I am on my fisrt set of TI so who knows what will happen in the end. I will more than likely just buy a single of the string on it if any go dead much quicker than the others.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Have you considered simply buying D’Addario EFW74’s? To me, the primary appeal of TI’s is the wound A course, and I willingly pay the surcharge to install them on my National RM-1. If I were simply going to replace the flatwound A strings with straight steel, I suspect that I’d forgo the TI’s in favor of the D’Addario set at 1/3 the cost.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

27. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

One of the A's on my oval hole was buzzing , so I replaced both the A & E courses with Daddario's, and that solved it. I didn't realize the A's were wound, which now makes sense.

I have not experienced any issues with the E and A strings, in fact they seem louder than ever. Guess it depends on the mando, pick, player..etc. If you think it’s a defect try to contact them, they may send replacements.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

On for over a month and I really love them. I found the first couple days I was on the fence, they do not have the bite my old strings had but after a few days and a pick change, I'm good to go. Oddly yesterday I tried the other pick I was using and it didn't seem to have as big of a difference in tone as the first day to the point that I really only notice the difference on the e string.

Name:	IMG_0105.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	176924Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0104.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	176926