Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TI strings

Default TI strings

I'm curious, is anyone here is using TI mandolin strings? I am curious about how they sound and last, they are flat wound and I just have J something or others on mine now, what it came with. I ask because I recently switched to Jazz Swings and Jazz Bebops on my electric guitar and absolutely love them. I have never had a flat wound string I like until the Jazz Swings so if the mandolin strings are equally as good and not dull like the Daddario flats I had tried on my electric guitar then I may try them.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Default Re: TI strings

Assuming you are speaking of Thomastik-Infeld strings, here are some past threads to peruse while you wait for an answer.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

They sound a little like nylon guitar strings. Mellow, round, smooth, clean fundamental, not zippy or metallic at all. They are also much quieter (probably largely perceived, since they don't have all that zippy/metallic harmonic content).
    They record beautifully, and last forever... months, if not years.

I need to dig around on my hard drive... I have sound samples of a Concerto model I made specifically for TI Mittels. Basically, I make them to sound kind of brash and aggressive, and by the time the TI's have done their toning-down thing, it sounds mellow and nice (to me anyway, your perception may vary...)

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

It is a matter of taste. You may or may not like them on your Old Wave. I tried them years ago on my 23 snakehead and took them off immediately. However, they sound great on my Lyon & Healy Professional and I have liked them a lot on mandolins that were voiced for those particular strings like some highe-end German bowlbacks and Phoenix Neo-Classicals and (I would guess) Marty's Concerto models shown above. Some folks here absolutely love them, so they are worth trying.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Assuming you are speaking of Thomastik-Infeld strings, here are some past threads to peruse while you wait for an answer.
    Thanks for the link! I tried the search window above with Thomastik and TI but got nothing so this link helps thanks again!

I’ve had them on my Northfield for the last year and really like them. They feel good, sound good, and are lasting seemingly forever...at least 6 months, the current set has been on since Jan and I don’t sense any change in tone.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

10. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

Hmm the description makes me think I may not like them. I like chime and bell like tones I don’t know that round and mello would be ok, if I had multiple instruments one loaded with them and one not it might be ok but not when the Old Wave is the only A I have. I will listen to more samples.
    Last edited by John Bertotti; Apr-01-2019 at 2:49pm.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I've had them on my A3 for years. I like them, but I'm not going to say I'm faithful! Right now, I'm using the EXP74CM strings on my A3. Like them too. But, I like getting different sounds from the same instrument. I'd happily go back to TI's on my A3. I like the 154ST - what they call, "Heavy" or, "Stark."

Worth a try if you ask me.

f-d
    ¡papá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

13. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by John Bertotti View Post
    Hmm the description makes me think I may not like them. I like chime and bell like tones I don’t know that round and mello would be ok, if I had multiple instruments one loaded with them and one not it might be ok but not when the Old Wave is the only A I have. I will listen to more samples.
    I think it depends on the mando...and the listener, I sure wouldn’t say TIs made mine mello..they are loud and chimy...to me.

Good idea to listen to some more samples and maybe just try them, they are a bit spendy but it’ll put your mind to rest.

15. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

I used to play an Old Wave mandola. I had a hard time converting all the tunes I know on mandolin so they sounded in the same key on the mandola. Also, my band was not altogether willing to play our repertoire in different keys to accommodate the mandola. So I tried TI strings made specifically to tune a mandola like an Octave mandolin, in GDAE. They sounded great. I don't own that mandola anymore, but still have a full set of the TI octave/mandola strings at $75 a set, but no use for them.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

17. The following members say thank you to Jim Nollman for this post:

Just had a chance to listen to this and to me they sounded great! I will give them a try. Thanks all, I am always amazed at what people hear though, all of our ears are so different.

Hi John,

I have used them on a few mandolins and a short-scale OM. I like them better on some instruments than on others, but I like them well enough that I bought a Phoenix Neoclassical which is specifically voiced for them.

If you try them, I suggest that you play them for a few hours (accumulated time) before deciding yea or nay. You may need to get used to them and alter your right hand technique a bit to really get the sense of what they can do. You also may want to try o few different picks, as some of us (me included) find that pick choice is mandolin and string specific. But I have found that on some instruments, they can be perfection itself. YMMV, and that's good. There's room for all opinions here in the Café.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

20. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

Picks let us not get started down that road. I have several I like but currently use almost exclusively the BlueChip picks, I have about four different ones from triangle to the Jazz shape with the pointy tip, my current favorite. That pointy tip is real nice and it sounds good on my Gretsch and Fenders as well as my acoustic Martins. I'm ordering a set yet tonight to try. The strings on my Mando now are years upon years old. tarnished even but to me still sound good. Either I have just gradually gotten used to them or my ears have gone dead. Oddly enough strings tend to last me a long time, I don't know why.

The heavy set is less than the J74 set in pounds. I would think you could go up to the mandola strings if you wanted a closer tension in pounds. Will the Heavies be adequate? And I just saw the price, wow double the guitar string price! That is nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    They sound a little like nylon guitar strings. Mellow, round, smooth, clean fundamental, not zippy or metallic at all. They are also much quieter (probably largely perceived, since they don't have all that zippy/metallic harmonic content).
    They record beautifully, and last forever... months, if not years.

I need to dig around on my hard drive... I have sound samples of a Concerto model I made specifically for TI Mittels. Basically, I make them to sound kind of brash and aggressive, and by the time the TI's have done their toning-down thing, it sounds mellow and nice (to me anyway, your perception may vary...)
    Wow. Had no idea we had someone making such beautiful instruments in Atlanta. The mandolins, etc., on your site are incredible.

24. The following members say thank you to WoodyCTA102 for this post:

Just had a chance to listen to this and to me they sounded great! I will give them a try. Thanks all, I am always amazed at what people hear though, all of our ears are so different.
    A lot depends on the instrument they are on by certain builders !

Well they are on, no new bridge or nut yet and the intonation is great on all but the A which is a bit flat at the 12th, not enough that most people would notice and I can forget about it while playing but then I notice it again so I will make a new bridge for it. I don't know how I got so anal. Can I blame it on old age or brain damage?

But it was interesting changing one string then comparing it to the old string that was left on. Not a fair comparison because I realized I had left the strings on entirely to long they were ancient, at least four years old and so so tarnished. The TI's are very sweet to my ears and a bit rounder than the -74s that came off. It is like having a new Mandolin! I just need to decide if they are 50$ sweet or not. I like to have a spare set on hand just in case but I need to think this one over really well before I plop down another 61.90 after shipping. Very expensive for a nonpro home hack player. But they do sound really good to me. I have noticed that the old strings sounded best to my ear with a Jazz LG 60 Blue Chip Pick but now I think I prefer the TP 1R 60 a little bit more. The sharper point was nice on the old strings but the point on the TP is just a bit sweeter on the TI. I think I will be moving the Jazz pick to my Gretsch Penguin which has Jazz Swings on it, incredible sounding strings also. I can't help but wonder why a set of 8 for Mandolin is 25$ more than the six for guitar.

27. The following members say thank you to John Bertotti for this post:

Bunnyf 

Yeah, I got 2 sets last year for about $40 each before the increase and now deciding whether I want to drop the extra dough on them. I did find that my Red Bear C-med and the PrimeTone 1.5 picks are better on these strings than my BC TAD80 is...maybe because the RB/PT are more pointy than the BC.

Funny you say that about the point, now that the strings have been on a couple of days it certainly seems I have gone back to using the pointy Jazz Pick more. They both have their uses but these strings just seem a bit more round than the ones I took off and the pointy pick tends to give some of that snap/attack??, right term? back.

Glad you gave them a try. What I love about them is the feel, no squeal, the longevity and a sound that is not as high strung as the phosphor/bronze. I'd give them a try on any oval hole I own. I think a good indicator of whether you will like them or not is the G string. Find your friendly TI evangelist who has the same or very similar mandolin as you, pluck the G string open, and if you like that, then jump right in.

When I first put them on my Collings MT, I loved them so much I put them on my Weber Bitterroot F style. I took them off the Weber the next day. That set of strings remain as my backup set over two years later, which I may add has never been touched, as I have yet to replace a string due to breakage or damage. The price, while steep, works out over time, as they last long. Plus, it is well worth the price to me to not have to change strings so often. And they are a joy to put on, the silk windings just grab the post, wind up and done. It takes me half as long to put on a set of TIs than any other string.

I wish they had a set that would work with my 22 3/4" scale OM, I am making due with D'addario chrome single (electric guitar) flatwounds.

Over the last year and a half, I have been exclusively playing the rounded edge of my blue chips. I had distinctly noticed what you describe John, the pointy ends tended to have more of an attack. But over time, I am getting closer to that with the rounded end.
    Girouard Custom Studio A Oval
    P.W. Crump OM-III

31. The following members say thank you to Gary Leonard for this post:

They don't work at all for me, but a friend uses them on a Flatiron A-5 I (wish I had never) sold to him, and they sound great for his approach. That particular Flatiron is a true canon, and it was just too loud and a bit forward in the high end for his taste. He tried a set of TI's on it and never looked back -- made it much more mellow and warm and not as loud. As per the comments above, the smooth, light feel is very nice under the left hand, but they aren't for everyone.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Blog Entries

They were my favorite strings. I liked the warmth and longevity they give. I'm not a bluegrasser. The D'Addario Flat Wound Strings are pretty much the same except the wound A strings (and the sound difference isn't worth the extra expense. I would suggest you get a set of each and try. Also mix up the pick choice as well.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

I used them for many years and found they sound better with a thinner pick.Not so mellow and louder.I’m using a Dunlop Ultex 1.0 triangle shape.I switched to Pyramid two years ago.

I just put on a set of IT mediums on my Morris Flattop today. So far, I really like them. The biggest thing I have noticed is that they seem to cover up a multitude of sins. Before these strings, I had to be very precise in my fretting to avoid any buzzes or unwanted vibrations. Basically, I had to be very precise to get a clean tone especially on the D string. With these strings, I don't have that problem at all. No buzzes or vibrations. Also, there is no finger noise at all, so I get a much cleaner sounding tone. Maybe, its not so much the flat wound strings as it is that the gauge of the strings are a little smaller thus eliminating fret buzz. Probably would have gotten the same effect by raising the bridge a touch. But, long story short, I love the strings and am glad I gave them a try.

Love them on my 514, did not like them on my bowlback.
    As some have said, it depends on the instrument
    1919 Gibson A3
    1920 Gibson A2
    1937 Gibson K1 Mandocello
    2015 Eastman Bowlback