Thread: Feedback please: Menuet 3 by G.P.Telemann (arr. by John Goodin)

Default Feedback please: Menuet 3 by G.P.Telemann (arr. by John Goodin)

Hey all, I finally got back around to working on Telemann pieces and I recorded the top part with the mandolin for "Menuet 3" in A Minor and I'll work on the Octave either tonight or tomorrow, probably.

Was hoping for some feedback on this take. There's not a lot of notation in the arrangements (that is, crescendo, diminuendo, forte, etc.) so I'm not sure if maybe my emphasis is wrong how and it sounds to other people. Also, I dunno, maybe the playing sounds stiff, so any general tips on my play welcome, too. (I know my pinky is all askew. Ugh.)

Anyhow, here it is:

This is page 3, here.

Any thoughts on problems?

I'm playing like 120 to make sure it's slow enough I can match it with octave and it's a minuet anyhow.

EDIT: Is this the right forum for this kind of post, btw?
    Last edited by danostrowski; Apr-01-2019 at 11:38am.

Default Re: Feedback please: Menuet 3 by G.P.Telemann (arr. by John Goodi

So I probably won't post again with this "series", I don't want to clutter this part of the forum up too much, but I did end up recording the octave part today, which is here separately (and I'd love any tips, commentary, but I'm embedding the combined video below.)

Things I'm finding:

1. Have to play REALLY close/on the frets. My Weber Gallatin octave seems to have very low tension in the strings (even the folks at Gryphon commented on that) and so I get a LOT of buzz playing if I'm not careful, so I have to play really on the frets every time.
    2. Man my pinky gets a workout trying to do that!
    3. Still trying to find the right way to hold it. I am trying to get it as natural in my left hand with as little bend as possible, and keep it flat, so I'm looking at the top of the fretboard and not the actual frets. That is, hold it so I'm looking at the fret markers.. pointed forward like that, upright, my fingers have the most clearance in their curve so I don't end up playing too close to the strings and making more buzz.

Anyhow, not a masterpiece or anything, but this is the combined video:

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danostrowski For This Useful Post:

I thought it sounded very nice with a nice relaxed tempo and lovely dynamics. Don't be so hard on yourself. We are all our own worst critics.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks, Jim, I appreciate you listening!

This Kid Needs Practice Bill Clements's Avatar

Sound fine, Dan. It takes guts to post here and ask for feedback because this not your typical audience.
    Keep on working and getting better. Nice mandolins you've got there.
    Thanks for sharing.
    "Music is the only noise for which one is obliged to pay." ~ Alexander Dumas

Thanks for the kind words and listening, Bill!