Thread: Seeking Value of my Mandolin

Default Seeking Value of my Mandolin

Perhaps a familiar tale...
    I was given a Gibson Mandolin (Model A?) by my Grandmother years ago. I have never played it and most likely never will. I would like to pass it along to someone who would enjoy it. Am seeking some feedback as to it's value so that I can post in the Classifieds at a fair price. Thanks, appreciate it! Tony. See link below for pictures.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Default Re: Seeking Value of my Mandolin

Can you give us the stamped number that should be inside on the neck block as you look through the sound hole towards the neck?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Teacher, repair person

That is a Gibson A-2. From what I can see, it was probably made around 1921 or 1922.

It's hard to estimate the value without a picture of the back of the instrument.

From what I can see, the original tuners, pickguard, tailpiece, bridge, and case are still with the instrument. That's good.
    The top finish looks like it may have been over-coated with something. That's not so good.

A very rough estimate might be $800 to $1000, less if the back is heavily worn or has been over-coated. But that's just a guess.
    A picture of the back and the serial number on the label [if readable] would be helpful in giving a better estimate of its value.

4. The following members say thank you to rcc56 for this post:

If the finish has been altered, you loose the collectibility factor, and the shiny finish is what has us thinking that. I would concur with the valuation above. This would be a desirable players instrument.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I also agree with the finish not being original. Think maybe the year is earlier, '20 or early '21. My '22 A2 has a truss rod and if I remember late '21, early '22 started the Loar improvements, with exception of the narrower neck and snake head.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

It’s always hard to tell with a photo, but I think the finish looks original. The wear on it looks right, and the sheen is right for that era. The value is not going to be much different anyway. It is a player grade instrument and not a highly valuable model in terms of money. These are usually good instruments with great sound. I’d be happy to have one like it.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

8. The following members say thank you to Big Joe for this post:

Thanks to those who responded, I appreciate it. Below is the updated link with pictures also showing the back. Unfortunately the label on the inside does not show a number that I can identify. I will posting in the Classifieds soon. Any other feedback would be great, thanks! Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tonyg57 View Post
    Thanks to those who responded, I appreciate it. Below is the updated link with pictures also showing the back. Unfortunately the label on the inside does not show a number that I can identify. I will posting in the Classifieds soon. Any other feedback would be great, thanks! Tony

This is where to look for the FON, the number MikeEdgerton was asking about (this photo is obviously of a guitar, but you get the idea)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gibser44.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	176254

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

The top edge of the headstock seems to be more of a smooth arc (like Gibson's earliest) rather than the "mini open book" shape w/ notch in the middle and symmetrical waves going toward the ends. Or have the back and, possibly, front edges been worn down enough to make it look smooth at the angles photoed?
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Teacher, repair person

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    That is a Gibson A-2. From what I can see, it was probably made around 1921 or 1922.

From what I can see, the original tuners, pickguard, tailpiece, bridge, and case are still with the instrument. That's good.
    The top finish looks like it may have been over-coated with something. That's not so good.

A very rough estimate might be $800 to $1000
    My opinion remains pretty much the same. Without an in-hand inspection it is not possible to say for sure, but the top finish definitely looks overcoated to me, while the back looks like it is in its original state.

I’m looking for the production dates and general price of these two mandolins: Gibson A oval hole #16240
    Gibson double point electric#65560.

condition, originality, original case, repairs, etc........all play a role in determining a price range. Pictures always help.

The most likely shipping dates seem to be 1912 for the A style and 1963 for the EM-200. But we do need photos before we can say anything worth repeating about the value. An estimate based on a serial number alone is only a shot in the dark.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls