Thread: Pono MND-20 Tenor size Octave Mandolin!

Default Pono MND-20 Tenor size Octave Mandolin!

I've been enjoying my Octave Mandolin made from a converted Blueridge BR-40TCE Tenor guitar. My 10 year old son has also been enjoying it and now he's reluctant to give it up.

So there was only one thing to do. Find a new octave mandolin for myself!
    I considered converting my Blueridge BR-40T 4 string, just like I did with the BR-40TCE, but sometimes I really like the 4 string. Especially for blues, or accompanying other players.

So I've been looking for a new OM. I've been playing every one I come across. Many have been good, others, not-so-good, and 1 in particular was incredible! Alas, I cannot afford a Clark OM.

In Seattle, I stopped in to Dusty Strings and they had 4 OMs to try. I liked aspects of all of them, but there were some negatives too.
    The one I liked the most was the Pono MD-20, but I found the terz body size to be too small for me.

A week ago I was checking out craigslist to kill time and a tenor size Pono MND-20 popped up. I called and the seller was out of town for a few days.

I called Pono/KR Strings to ask about it. Kilin Reece picked up and told me everything I wanted to know. Tenor body size, 23" scale, Spruce and Mahogany, Gloss finish. He was super helpful, even though I was looking at a used instrument that he'd sold 3 years ago. He did say I should check it out and buy it if I liked it. He also said he has a customer returned Pono MND-20H which is almost the same instrument but with a 21.5" scale that he's selling for $950. I figured I would check out the local one and if I liked the size and scale length, I'd buy it. If I felt like the shorter scale length was better, I'd buy from KR Strings.

Well I got a call from the craigslist seller today and went to check it out. He said he bought it a few years ago and never really played it, which was evident from the old strings and dust and dry fingerboard. There wasn't a scratch on it. I played it for about 20 minutes and it sounded great! (even with the old strings). The scale length and body size were exactly what I was looking for. About the same scale length and body size as the Blueridge that I've been playing for a few years. The neck is a hair wider, but the shape of it is more guitar-like than the Blueridge and I found it to be more comfortable.
    We came to a mutually acceptable agreement and I bought it and brought it home!

I removed the strings and cleaned the instrument, oiled the fingerboard and bridge, and installed new strings. Besides the 4 hours away from home for my gig tonight, I've been playing it all day and loving it!

It is an easy playing instrument. The sound is rich and full when chording, and has good definition on single notes. It is also beautiful! The mahogany back and sides have lovely grain and coloration. The dark ebony binding is classy. The spruce top has a natural finish and a nice mother-of-pearl rosette. The unstained ebony fingerboard and bridge have nice grain.

I'm ordering a JJB pickup for it and I'll install it when I get back from the road in a few weeks.

I'll post some photos when I get a chance.
    Last edited by colorado_al; Mar-31-2019 at 12:29am.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to colorado_al For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pono MND-20 Tenor size Octave Mandolin!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190330_231436.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	637.7 KB 
ID:	175729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190330_231508(1).jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	892.4 KB 
ID:	175731

4. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Congrats, Al!... looks lovely!!!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

6. The following members say thank you to soliver for this post:

Congratulations on a wonderful instrument, Al!

I recently got the same Pono model, with the only difference being a cutaway, and I love it. It's my first octave mando, and is motivating me to practice hard and get good enough to deserve it!
    Follow your bliss- it knows where it's going.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_al View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190330_231436.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	637.7 KB 
ID:	175729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190330_231508(1).jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	892.4 KB 
ID:	175731
    That is a beauty indeed. I'd like to see a side by side comparison of the different models. Is there a photo or video somewhere?
    Without that info, how about the nut width / string spacing on each?

9. The following members say thank you to DougC for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan Hatch View Post
    Congratulations on a wonderful instrument, Al!

I recently got the same Pono model, with the only difference being a cutaway, and I love it. It's my first octave mando, and is motivating me to practice hard and get good enough to deserve it!
    I would have preferred the cutaway model, but the deal on this one, and locally available, was too good to pass up.

Nice!

Al, it is a very nice OM and I'm sure you will enjoy! I will also enjoy your tenor guitar!!

13. The following members say thank you to J.C. Bryant for this post:

Nice! So regarding the MD-20 you tried but thought was too small, can you give some insight into what about it didn't feel right. At their price-point Pono's are attractive, and especially since, unlike Eastmans, are a bit easier to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Trujillo View Post
    Nice! So regarding the MD-20 you tried but thought was too small, can you give some insight into what about it didn't feel right. At their price-point Pono's are attractive, and especially since, unlike Eastmans, are a bit easier to find.
    Since I'm used to playing a 000 size guitar with it balanced on my leg, the smaller body size of the MD-20 just wasn't ergonomically a good fit for me. It sounded and played great though, and if you're in the market for a smaller body OM, I'd go for it!
    The tenor sized body of the MND-20 feels very close to the size of my 000.

16. The following members say thank you to colorado_al for this post: