Thread: Total new guy intro and how to tune my new Eastwood WE tenor

Default Total new guy intro and how to tune my new Eastwood WE tenor

jumping into learning tenor guitar with NO music background other than some basic knowledge of power chords and a slight memory of guitar lessons when I was 13.

Never got all that good on guitar and always felt a bit tied up trying to learn chords. Someone gave me a little uke and I instantly had fun and made some progress. Problem is I just don't love the sound and Truly enjoy "guitar" tone, Amps and pedals. Then I stumbled on the tenor... Had one shipped and I was having a blast in no time. Im in contact with a local guy for lessons so that should help as well, but at the moment Im confused on the tuning.

My teacher may want to do another tuning when we start, but for now I wanted to keep the "stock" GDAE (42 32 18 11 ga) that it shipped with. my problem is that I tried to tune it up a bit and got lost using my iphone app and broke a string. I have a few extras now and am ready to re string but I was looking for the best way to get in tune.

Tools I have
    Snarkman clip on
    guitartuna app
    istrobosoft app

Any pointers would help
    Thanks in advance and thanks for all the reading!

Guernsey... small island just off the coast of France

Default Re: Total new guy intro and how to tune my new Eastwood WE tenor

I can remember when I got my first tenor but it was tuned CGDA and I broke more A strings than you could shake a stick at.
    Personally I much prefer to use a Snark but you can use your fingertips to help you get close and after a few years you can just use your ears.
    You don’t say what make or style of tenor you have bought but if we assume it an acoustic and has a 23” scale then your strings are quite similar in tension with the D having the highest tension.
    So if you tune the D first and just press down on it with your finger tip, you should find the other strings will be similar in feel once they are in tune.
    Tuning the strings is a very basic operation but I think most people need a bit of practice when they first start off.... it can sure make you jump too!

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fox View Post
    You don’t say what make or style of tenor you have bought
    The subject days Eastwood WE - As in Warren Ellis?
    Eastwoods choices of GDAE strings are questionable. I haven't changed yet but my "classic tenor" G is just too light and floppy.

Anyway. Pagoda it's nice to hear you took the plunge! I used to play normal guitars but when I found mandolin (same tuning but octave higher) and the family I just did not look back.
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Thanks all!

Yep, Warren ellis. I did use the snark last night and got her back up and running. then spent about 3 hrs watching RJ Roquillo paying Linus and Lucy. picking away at each section and I can damn near play it all! A bit slow but it made me smile and laugh! I never put together that much on a 6 string. I'm so happy to have found this!

As for strings / Tunings I guess I will wait to see what the instructor wants to teach but I like GDAE a bunch so far. However... When I broke the A string I was tuning to what I thought Eastwood shipped it as CGDA "raised 5ths" That was super cool sounding until that little string broke....

So I guess I'm officially into the rabbit hole now. hummmmm I should have an acoustic as well right?

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    The subject days Eastwood WE - As in Warren Ellis?
    Eastwoods choices of GDAE strings are questionable. I haven't changed yet but my "classic tenor" G is just too light and floppy.

Anyway. Pagoda it's nice to hear you took the plunge! I used to play normal guitars but when I found mandolin (same tuning but octave higher) and the family I just did not look back.

Definitely. In fact you should also add a resonator too...

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    My band's website

You'll need all those in GDAE and CGDA, maybe some open tunings too.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    I haven't changed yet but my "classic tenor" G is just too light and floppy.
    Have you done that thread on yours you promised yet?
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

I own a Warren Ellis electric Tenor. Decent choice.

My number one recommendation: Go with "Chicago tuning". A D-G-B-E tuning. Like the top four of a guitar. First of all, the sound (in my opinon) compared to a more traditional tenor guitar tuning, gives you a deeper and fuller tone. I've always found that the G-D-A-E tuning will sound a bit "tinnier", more "old timey", and won't give you as much versatility in terms of its timbre when playing a wide range of genres. Also if you ever felt the need to switch to a 6 string guitar, you already four out of the six strings down. With the eastwood electric tenors, there isn't much adjustment that needs to be done when switching tunings, because of the solid body. However you may want to consult with your teacher or a local luthier, for the bridge and spring tension may need to be adjusted.

I actually play professionally with the very same tenor guitar you own. its a very unique instrument, and when coupled with the right equipment (Amp, effects pedals etc..) it can sing beautifully... The benefit of four strings as opposed to six for someone whos coming into it brand news is that chord shapes are less complex. Most chords can be held with three fingers or barred. Its definitely a great place to start (and a great place to stay). Also with tenor guitars fret spacing is a bit shorter, so when improvising or soloing, or playing melody or lead you have more space horizontally along the fretboard to play around. However it comes at a price, because with four strings as opposed to six, your vertical space is a bit more limited, but thats something that you will probably deal with much later.

I started out on a tiny little knock off soprano uke, and made my way through the years from soprano to concert to tenor to baritone, and then to Tenor Guitar. I play the tenor guitar professionally, and have found that its surprisingly resilient and unique sounding instrument. If you tune it up to D-G-B-E, it really holds the sound of the "Sweet Spot" of the guitar. And has the power to kind of "punch" through or "cut" through the sound of multiple instruments playing at a time. Four strings is my thing. and so far i've been happy with keeping it that way. I've been playing for many years and if you have any further questions, dont hesitate to PM or ask here.
    "The best bands are like tribes"

Quote Originally Posted by The_Noseeums View Post
    I own a Warren Ellis electric Tenor. Decent choice.

My number one recommendation: Go with "Chicago tuning". A D-G-B-E tuning.
    While it defeats the purpose of a tenor, there are certainly benefits for guitar players choosing a short scale tenor for comping and soloing.

But for me the magic is in 5th tuning. If I want to play in 4ths I'll use one of many guitars. If I want to play in 5ths I'll use a mandolin or tenor.

- ---==< V >==--- -

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Verne Andru For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Verne Andru View Post
    While it defeats the purpose of a tenor, there are certainly benefits for guitar players choosing a short scale tenor for comping and soloing.

But for me the magic is in 5th tuning. If I want to play in 4ths I'll use one of many guitars. If I want to play in 5ths I'll use a mandolin or tenor.
    How does it "defeat the purpose"?

I can choose to do whatever I want with my instrument. And therefore use it for whatever purpose I desire. Just because an instrument is traditionally used for this or that, doesn't mean through time it absolutely must be limited to the confines of what is was used for many years ago. This is called Evolution.. Music evolves, just like anything else. If it didn't everyone here would just be playing Bill Monroe. (Thank god for that)

How does it "defeat the purpose"?

I can choose to do whatever I want with my instrument. And therefore use it for whatever purpose I desire. Just because an instrument is traditionally used for this or that, doesn't mean through time it absolutely must be limited to the confines of what is was used for many years ago. This is called Evolution..
    There are very few tenors available at the best of times and using one of the precious few to replicate what can be done on one of a multitude of 6-string guitars does come across to me as more than a little silly and quite a waste of a valuable resource. But you are correct in that you can do whatever you like with your instruments.

Not sure I'd agree with Evolution. Chicago tuning came about because there were more guitar players than instruments and since few knew 5th tuning they made do by retuning the few tenors that were laying about, so I see it as more of a regression.

If it didn't everyone here would just be playing Bill Monroe. (Thank god for that)
    Amen.

- ---==< V >==--- -

Not sure I'd agree with Evolution. Chicago tuning came about because there were more guitar players than instruments and since few knew 5th tuning they made do by retuning the few tenors that were laying about, so I see it as more of a regression
    A simple adaptation. Either way, regardless of what others reasons were for tuning to the top four of a guitar. I have my own.

One of the reasons the tenor guitar is making a resurgence is that it can be played in many different ways (CGDA, GDAE, DGBE, as well as several open tunings). The versatility of the instrument is what makes it great! Let's all just agree to love the instrument. Different strokes (tunings) for different folks.
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

Can't a six string be tuned in even more ways? Having 50% more strings, it's way more versatile.
    An earlier post suggested that Chicago tuning has a fuller, deeper tone. Hmm, like a six string?

It is possible to tune a six string in fifths, but its rare. Forming chords on a six string tuned in fifths is difficult. Robert Fripp uses CGDAEG (instead of CGDAEB) which is close to tuning in fifths. I don't know of any six string guitarists that tune CGDAEB.
    Blueridge BR-60T Tenor Guitar
    Eastwood Warren Ellis 2P Tenor Guitar

I tune my 6 string Les Paul Pee Wee in 5ths - Eb Bb F C G D - and prefer it over a 4 string tenor because it is far more versatile. I have more range than a standard tuned 6 string and it goes higher than my mandolin.

I have tons of guitars in all sorts of tuning and encourage experimentation. For some reason I just find Chicago tuning on a tenor a bit grating as it brings nothing to the table. But to each their own - if it floats your boat that's all that counts.

- ---==< V >==--- -

I have tons of guitars in all sorts of tuning and encourage experimentation. For some reason I just find Chicago tuning on a tenor a bit grating as it brings nothing to the table. But to each their own - if it floats your boat that's all that counts.
    Agree re Chicago tuning. It's gonna upset the uke converts but I find it very dull. I'm all about the GDad or GDgd because I find even straight fifths to be a bit boring. I like finding new shapes and interesting variations of chords. I'll leave the guitar and bass players to follow stricter chord shapes and root notes respectively

That said if I had one with a Chicago set on I'd at least drop the e to a d. Or go DGad

My band's website