Thread: Sierra Hull at the Freight and Salvage 3/29/19

Default Sierra Hull at the Freight and Salvage 3/29/19

I am trying to find info on the guitarist that played with Sierra last night. Can anyone help me out? It’s the guitarist in this photo. That was an incredible show. Holy moly those folks can play. If you ever get a chance to see Sierra live I would highly recommend it, but be prepared to be seriously humbled and awed. I am not sure I’ve ever witnessed a higher level of musicianship assembled together on one stage.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F7FD019E-B124-4402-B6C5-0A55C631D7F7.jpeg 
Views:	281 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	175700
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

Default Re: Sierra Hull at the Freight and Salvage 3/29/19

I believe that is Mike Seal (no relation) but a great name! I saw him a while back with Jerry Douglas and he is incredible!

3. The following members say thank you to Mark Seale for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz View Post
    That was an incredible show. Holy moly those folks can play. If you ever get a chance to see Sierra live I would highly recommend it, but be prepared to be seriously humbled and awed.
    That show was absolutely stunning! I've seen Sierra four times now, and each time, she is playing better and pushing the boundaries further. Just look at the instrumentation in that photo, and you'll see what I mean. After the show, a couple of my music buddies said that Sierra is at the top of her game. I don't think she is there yet, so hers is definitely a journey to tag along on.

Although she mainly played material from her most recent album and her upcoming one, she also played the two bluegrass instrumentals from her first album, which last night, were high-level bebopgrass. She also gave the band a break while she did her version of Chris Thile's "Fiddle Tune Request Time," doing four tunes that the audience requested while slipping in some Bach and a song excerpt.

This video from a week ago will give you a sense of the band and answer the question about her current guitar player:

still trying to turn dreams into memories

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marcus CA For This Useful Post:

Yup - Mike Seal. That guy redefines what it means to have chops. Titanic totality of taste, technique and tone.
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

Portland Symphony show today...should be an interesting departure, I assume. Looking forward to it!

Today was my first time seeing Ms. Hall in person. Not only is she spectacularly talented but what courage to play with a symphony for the first time. Well done Sierra...

She continues to grow by leaps and bounds. Spectacular.

Searching for the Sound

saw her at the Old Town School in Chicago a short while back and wow, what a big league show THAT was ... she is on my "see whenever i can" list ...
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815