Thread: Painfully embarrassing concern - maybe.

2TonCommon
    The Land of Copious and Unrelenting Gnats

Default Painfully embarrassing concern - maybe.

Hello everyone.
    I have an embarrassing concern about my Weber Diamondback. It is a 2015 distressed model, though I bought it "new" (unplayed, kept in case for 4 years). When I received it, it was exactly as Weber sends out their mandolins - neck straight, really low action. Well, it buzzed like a bumble-bee, so I raised the bridge to rectify the problem. It did, but the bridge was so high you could have parachuted from it. So, I then relieved the tension all the way and, you guessed it, it now plays perfectly. My anal-retentive concern is that when I wrenched it down, I gave the last turn a snug but firm turn. Just wondering if I could have damaged the truss rod by snugging it too much- or because everything is playing practically perfect and it sounds amazing am I worrying about nothing? Sorry for the ridiculous post, but I worry
    Thanks a million.
    "Of all the harm that ere' I've done,
    Alas, it was to none but me."

Goodnight and Joy be to you all!

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default Re: Painfully embarrassing concern - maybe.

It plays well? You win. Leave well enough alone. If there’s a problem you can fix it if it becomess apparent. But it won’t. Enjoy. Stop worrying. Play.
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Lewis For This Useful Post:

===========

As a player who is almost maniacal about neck adjustments, I completely understand your concern. As David said above, play enjoy and don't sweat until you have to. All-in-all, even if it does turn out to be a problem in the future, it is probably nothing that can't be fixed.

p.s. - those Weber Diamondbacks are SWEET instruments - I envy you!

5. The following members say thank you to MikeZito for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    It plays well? You win. Leave well enough alone. If there’s a problem you can fix it if it becomess apparent. But it won’t. Enjoy. Stop worrying. Play.
    ^^this^^

If the truss rod had been damaged, either the nut would spin without ever tightening up, or the rod would have snapped and you'd hear it rattling when you play.

An interesting question is whether it is a 2-way truss rod or an old-style 1-way truss rod. But either way, from your description, it does not sound like it is broken.

If it is the 2-way truss rod, you may have reversed the truss rod tension and in doing so, increased relief. If you want to know which kind of truss rod it is, contact Weber with your serial number.

Either way, if it's not broken, don't fix it. Just enjoy it.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

7. The following members say thank you to dhergert for this post:

You've ruined your mandolin. It is now just wall art. Where can I send the $100 check? My walls are bare.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Does that one have a brass nut? One of the reasons to use a brass adjuster nut is that you're probably going to strip out the threads on the nut before you damage the truss rod. Either way, if everything was smooth as you turned it, you don't need to worry about it. Any damage to the truss rod or nut would result in metal shavings, which would have resulted in a gritty/sticky feeling adjustment. You're good.

10. The following members say thank you to Marty Jacobson for this post: