Thread: Used A Style

Default Used A Style

Hello, I've been a member a short time, first post and posted this because I didn't want to hedge in on someone else's post, hope you guy's aren't too sick of folks with these know nothing questions.

I've played quitar for over 50 years, quit playing out, retired and a couch acoustic player now. Use to peck around on a mandolin back years ago and got a case of the wants for a good couch mandolin now. But I have no idea about what I'd need, I really like my 1 3/4 nut on my acoustics so I don't know what I'd need to be looking at for a mandolin neck width. I definately want an A-Style.

I had read here some pretty good feelings for the Kentucky and Eastman. I have an Eastman E10 OM acoustic that I really like alot. So I was hoping I could find a pretty good used one in the $300 couch range.

Default Re: Used A Style

Welcome!

You might find an Eastman MD-305 near your price range if you're patient. New, they are $480.
    https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/ma...lin-gigbag.htm

I'd keep an eye out for a Kentucky KM-150. All solid woods.
    New, $400
    https://www.elderly.com/acoustics/ma...lin-gigbag.htm

If you buy from a reputable dealer, they should do the setup for you before it leaves the shop. If you buy a used one that has not had a setup, you will need to get that done before it will play well. That will probably cost you $70-$100.

===========

The Kentucky KM-272 gets a lot of love around here, and (for my 2-cents) is definitely worth checking out.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...+km-272+review

A rough guide is that a mandolin is twice the price of the same quality guitar. The aforementioned Eastman and Kentucky models are what I would recommend around your price point. You might find a used Big Muddy flattop for $300 to $400, but you will need to be patient and flattops are their own thing.

Several months ago I found a Kentucky 272 for about $250 and felt compelled to buy it at that price. I have been astounded by how good it sounds as well as by the quality of the fit and finish. It's scary good for the money, and if you are interested in an oval hole I would say keep your eyes open for one of these. (The 270 and 276 are the same mandolin in different colors.)

tks for the replies..it's tough buying online even for an instrument you're familiar with. In my case I really don't know what I should be looking at in a mandolin. I feel pretty confident in a new as I've bought several new guitars and was well satisfied plus I don't really know exactly where to look or who's reputable with a used instrument. Might be better off considering a new one.

Where online can you get the best price and a setup for the KM272

Any of the Cafe sponsors would be a good, safe source for online purchasing. Both The Mandolin Store and Elderly have the KM272 on their sites and they both offer setup in the purchase. I mention them specifically because they are the vendors I've done business with in the past, but I wouldn't hesitate to go with the other sponsors if they have what I want at my price point.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous