Thread: The Sound of the American Mandolin (byT. Williamson) in digital?

Question The Sound of the American Mandolin (byT. Williamson) in digital?

Hello,

does anyone know if the video “The Sound of the American Mandolin“ by Tony Williamson and Maxwell McCullough that was originally released on VHS is available in digital format, please? I tried to contact Tony but with no response (I hope he is well). I'd be happy to buy it. Just don't know where to ask.

Thank you in advance.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Default Re: The Sound of the American Mandolin (byT. Williamson) in digit

Quote Originally Posted by Hajd View Post
    Hello,

does anyone know if the video “The Sound of the American Mandolin“ by Tony Williamson and Maxwell McCullough that was originally released on VHS is available in digital format, please? I tried to contact Tony but with no response (I hope he is well). I'd be happy to buy it. Just don't know where to ask.

Thank you in advance.
    I don't know if it is available in digital format but I do have a copy that I got on VHS and burned it to a dvd disc some years ago. It is a great documentary and I wanted to be able to keep it around as technologies changed and my VHS player went curbside. There may media transfer resources available for you in your area as well.

I don't want to run afoul of any copyrights or MC protocols so I don't want to share this without knowing more about those issues and being deferential to Scott's approval in terms of communicating such through the MC. I've thought about doing so before but have always backed way off. I don't know if Tony would want bootleg copies floating around. But you could ask.

Have you checked out all available options...(maybe in your local library?) Many interesting things from the VHS era do eventually make it through the digital pipeline.

Probably not too hard to get ahold of Tony himself and ask...

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Thank you very much! For sure I don't want to interfere with the copyrights. I'd be the happiest if there is an official digital reissue of the original material that I could buy. Digital reissue professionally made from the original studio source so that it has the best possible quality (meaning with no distortion in picture and sound created by the VHS itself and its transfer to digital).
    Unfortunately I reside in Europe so I cannot ask Tony in person. I sent him two emails and a fb message over the last months but with no response. We know each other in person so I guess that he might be just too busy.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hajd View Post
    ...Digital reissue professionally made from the original studio source so that it has the best possible quality (meaning with no distortion in picture and sound created by the VHS itself and its transfer to digital)
    Good luck with that. If you turn up a resource please check back in and let us know. I checked our music library here at the university and they don't have it nor does the inter-library loan system they are a part of.

A search for it did turn up a collection of Rudy Cipolla's mandolin music which I requested be sent down our way....so the search was not for naught. Thanks!

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

For sure I will. Enjoy the Rudy Cipolla's mandolin music :-)