Thread: NMD- 1973 Martin A

Default NMD- 1973 Martin A

Hello all! Some time ago I posted in a thread about Martin mandolins my desire to find one from the ‘80s or ‘90s. I had never played a Martin mandolin other than a Backpacker, but I just thought I would like it for old time and Celtic. My theory was that the newer it was, the less likely it would be to have issues. However, the factory output was so low during those decades fewer than 400 if I remember correctly) that chances of finding one are slim. Well, I had my chance a couple of months ago when Mandolin World Headquarters has a 1980’s example. But I hesitated and it didn’t last long. So, when an opportunity came up to buy a 1973 example with its original case, at a reasonable price, I pulled the trigger. I normally don’t like buying site unseen. I called the store for an in hand description. I was assured that there were few if any signs it had been played, that their tech had gone over it, that it had been strung with new Martin strings, and it was ready to go. Well, it arrived 2 days ago. Turns out the store wasn’t completely forthcoming. The strings were new at some point I suppose, but they were very tarnished and dead sounding. Good news: hard case exterior was in decent shape, needed cleaning. Instrument had a straight neck,sound body, no obvious damage or repairs, no loose braces. Bad news: case lining pulling away at edges, needed to be reglued. Instrument finish had quite a bit of weather checking (not unusual for these from what I’ve read), frets 2-7 were pretty grooved (few signs of being played?). I thought about returning it for being misrepresented, but on thinking about it there was nothing there that I probably couldn’t correct for myself. So I cleaned up the case, reglued the lining (which was in good shape), took off the old strings, gave the frets a light leveling and re-crown, cleaned the grime off the body, oiled the fretboard, and restrung it with fresh light Martin strings.
    After tuning her up, I played a few tunes and wow! I’m glad I decided to keep it. So sweet sounding, so different from the tone of my Webers. Tone and sustain for days. And the short scale, wider fretboard plays so easily. The combination of short scale, wider nut, and course spacing being closer is very comfortable for me. This will be my go to for old time and Celtic from now on I think. I still think I would enjoy a later example that’s a bit closer to mint. If anybody hears of one let me know!
    Last edited by multidon; Mar-28-2019 at 9:45am.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

2. The following members say thank you to multidon for this post:

Default Re: NMD- 1973 Martin A

Congrats Don.

I don't hear about these mandos much. Good to know.

Nothing like a new instrument in the house..
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Thanks Chris. It’s just a voice so different from what I’m used to. Like a breath of fresh air.

I forgot to mention, the original Kluson tuners are adequate but not that great. Lubed them with a little Tri Flow but still a bit stiff and stagey. Wouldn’t mind replacing them somewhere down the line.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I am quite taken with my two Martins, a '59 style A that's not without cosmetic flaws, and a '29 style B that's as near mint as can be expected ..
    I don't know if you have to focus on more recent years to find a minty one, there seem to be a lot of case queen Martins out there.
    But yes, great build, playability, and tone, and eco-pricing too! enjoy.

Just checked the serial number. Store said it was a ‘73, but it’s actually a ‘74.
    Don

2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Teacher, repair person

Not later, as a matter of fact, much earlier, but in wonderful condition:

At Fred Oster's Vintage Instruments in Philadelphia: Martin style A sunburst, 1942; described as "the cleanest wartime sunburst Martin mandolin we have ever seen."
    $1500
    NFI

A long established shop with a good reputation. Across the state from you, Don, but drive-able. They know how to pack and ship, though.

There are other very clean older Martin mandos out there. Since carved mandos are so popular, many of these cant top mandolins have been ignored and barely played.
    Last edited by rcc56; Mar-28-2019 at 10:50pm.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fifths View Post
    I am quite taken with my two Martins, a '59 style A that's not without cosmetic flaws, and a '29 style B that's as near mint as can be expected ..
    I don't know if you have to focus on more recent years to find a minty one, there seem to be a lot of case queen Martins out there.
    But yes, great build, playability, and tone, and eco-pricing too! enjoy.
    Yes, Martin Bs are a little Holy Grail of their own. Rosewood back + spruce top = amazing tone.
    I had a Martin-made-Ditson-Labeled B for some time and chose to move it to finance some house repairs. Not a regrettable tradeoff but it was a great mandolin.

I kept a '53 Martin A which never fails to make me happy. Not as crisp a tone as the RW back but sweet as Tupelo Honey as Van the Man said.

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding? Everyone should have (read: deserves) a Martin mandolin.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

I bought a new lefty 1975 Martin A model from Stan Jay at Mandolin Bros. in 1977 for the outrageous price of $275! It was sweet sounding, but I could never get it to intonate up the neck until several years ago when I realized that the bridge had been intonated for a righthand setup. I took it to an authorize Martin repairman to have a correct lefty saddle made and installed. He contacted Martin and they denied that they ever made my lefty mandolin. My registration papers proved different but they still said that they wouldn't pay for a bridge. But, after I sent a personal letter to Chris Martin, the CFM service department called me and approved replacing the bridge. Now, my lefty Martin A not only sounds sweet but it plays in tune up the fretboard. Enjoy your mandolin!

Sounds like a winner, Don! Enjoy the Martin!

Love my 1919 Style A. However you compare Martins to what we now consider "standard" mandolins, with maple bodies, longer scales, and more likely carved tops and f-holes, there's something about the scrupulous Martin work-person-ship, sweet tone and accessible scale length of the ol' bent-top designs. A mandolin you can relax with, and yet one that holds its own in a variety of musical contexts.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM