Thread: The Octave has arrived..............

Default The Octave has arrived..............

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Octave Mandolin.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	175591

I was on vacation last week in Arizona, and took some time to visit the Mandolin Store. I was looking to try out an octave, and was interested in the Pono line they carry there. I met up with Brian, who was very gracious with his time. Knowing this would be more of a novelty instrument for me, I did not want to spend big $$$.

He guided me to the 12-fret model they had in stock, as his personal favorite. As soon as I hit an open, two finger G chord, I was sold. I tried several other octaves, but this one spoke to me. It just arrived, so not a lot of playing time yet. I love the tone coming from this one.

I will admit up front, that playing my normal selection of tunes, mostly bluegrass, the reach is a challenge. I have to play slower, for sure. But the unique sound of this instrument is very rewarding. I mostly play for myself, but I could see this fitting in as a nice addition to an ensemble, given the right choice of material.

Happy to have this one in the house.
    Jim D

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jim DeSalvio For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The Octave has arrived..............

Thanks Jim. I had planned to be in Arizona last week to see some Spring Training baseball (Go Rockies!) but sadly, the trip was cancelled. I had planned on going out to The Mandolin Store as well and wanted to try out the Pono octaves. Did you play other Pono's? Impressions?
    Thanks and congrats on the new Pono!

Wow, congrats! She is a beauty. I am a little jealous. I also have a new mandolin on the way. According to USPS tracking the expected delivery date is today, but the status was changed to in Transit arriving late

I played one of the Pono "14-fret" models, and just like acoustic guitars, felt the 12-fret model had a more robust bass response. And I know this will sound crazy, but the Northfield octave, with F holes, did not do much for me. It was very nicely made.
    Jim D

6. The following members say thank you to Jim DeSalvio for this post:

A spring training baseball, TMS visit is a rewarding vacation. I imagine the weather for people in cold regions would be a bonus too. And if you golf and trailer a Harley down there, you get extra points.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

that is an exceptional looking instrument. I've been interested in getting a GBOM for some time. owned an excellent A style octave but I know the GB style would suit my playing position better. I'm definitely going to check into these(and I love TMS folks, they've had my business for a couple years now).

what is the back/side woods on your 12 fret?
    are the back/side a laminanted build?
    what is the scale length on this 12 fret?

thank you
    d