Thread: Dare I say it?

Default Dare I say it?

Bought my second BC pick, a TP 1R 60, off the classifieds. No good reason, just BCAS. Interested to compare with my TAD 1R 60. Some days you just need to buy something.

It was either that or the Flatiron.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

2. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Astro 

Default Re: Dare I say it?

Let us know what you think. I have a TAD 60 and a CT55. Most of the time I prefer the CT55.

One of these days I'm going to have a weak moment and buy a Silverangel. I would have grabed one already but I heard the neck was a deep vee (like a Gibson) and those pointier necks bother me sometimes so I'm holding out for a more C or D shape. Is yours a V ?
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    ...just BCAS...
    Blue Chip Acquisition Syndrome. Pronounced BECAUSE as in just because or just BCAS.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Just Because

Blog Entries

Thought I had bought my last BC. Found my self online getting a thinner one. Like it so much I think I want a spare for jam season. It happens. Just glad they last longer than strings

You should try the SR60, I used to use the TAD60 exclusively but now I the SR gives me way more tonal control
    2017 Gibson F5L
    Northfield Big Mon
    Collings D1AT
    Collings D1AVN Varnish
    Collings D2HGT
    1941 Martin D-18

"Too dumb for New York, too ugly for L.A."

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Let us know what you think. I have a TAD 60 and a CT55. Most of the time I prefer the CT55.

One of these days I'm going to have a weak moment and buy a Silverangel. I would have grabed one already but I heard the neck was a deep vee (like a Gibson) and those pointier necks bother me sometimes so I'm holding out for a more C or D shape. Is yours a V ?
    It is a vee. Wouldn't call it radical. So far the few who have tried it have really liked it. I'm sure Ken would give you what you want. But his mandolins have fared well in direct comparison to Collings, Pava, and Northfield. I limit myself to those because I've had direct comparisons with those brands. Given that you can get a fully bound A Silverangel for around 2k, it's the best deal out there IMHO, but not if your idea of heaven is a Northfield F5S or Collings.

Last week I heard it played back to back with a Pava. Very similar. Given one was bought used for $1400 and one used for $2200, I would have saved the money.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    Blue Chip Acquisition Syndrome. Pronounced BECAUSE as in just because or just BCAS.
    That was a brilliant observation.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Well, snail mail lived up to it's name. Five days to travel 20 miles, but I received a TP 1R 60 yesterday, which is a slightly smaller version of the TAD 1R 60 I've been playing. I use a pick with very little tip showing, so it was easy to adapt. Oddly, I liked it for guitar slightly better than mandolin. Can't pin it down why. But the smaller pick states planted better. No movement at all. Time will tell.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1