Thread: Strap locks.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default Strap locks.

I’m thinking of putting them on my solid body. Is there anything stopping me?

What about acoustics? Can they go on acoustic mandolins? I have them on my telecasters. I can’t think of any reason why they wouldn’t work, but you good folks know more than I do.

Thanks in advance
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Default Re: Strap locks.

I use rubber washers on all of my instruments. They are inexpensive, work great, and you can get them at the hardware store too.

https://www.amazon.com/Ebony-Black-R.../dp/B00Q1UYC52
    willi

3. The following members say thank you to mandowilli for this post:

I have used the same thing a mandowilli. I got mine at the local hardware store for much cheaper. It is surprising how well they lock the strap. But I am not out standing up performing either. Give them a try.

5. The following members say thank you to Northwest Steve for this post:

I recently put straplocks on my solidbody baritone, and I'm thrilled. I primarily did this to keep the strap from coming of the pins, but the best thing about it: It's breeze to put the strap on and off! This way, I can roll the thick and padded leather strap and store it separately in the gigbag for transport. Makes packing up so much easier...
    However, on all my other isntruments with more flexible straps I don't see why I should invest that much money... As long as the strap stays on the pins I'm fine, and otherwise I'd also use rubber washers

I also see no reason why they shouldn't work on acoustics.
    Mandolins: 1920s (?) Meinel & Herold Bowlback, 2006 Furch "Redwood MA-1" A5

Octaves: 2004 Fender FMO-66 Flat-Top, 2015 A. Karperien 5 String Electric

Banjos: 2007 Gold Tone IT-250F Irish Tenor, 1963 Vega Vox No. 1 Plectrum, 2016 Recording King RK-OT25 Clawhammer

7. The following members say thank you to Martin Ohrt for this post:

The end pin coming out won't be helped by a strap lock. A small loop of string/leather around the tailpiece attached to the strap is more important to me than a strap lock.
    2010 Heiden A5, 2020 Pomeroy oval A, 2013 Kentucky KM1000 F5, 2012 Girouard A Mandola w ff holes, 2001 Old Wave A oval octave
    http://HillbillyChamberMusic.bandcamp.com
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/@hillbillychambermusic

9. The following members say thank you to Don Grieser for this post:

To put a strap lock on a mandolin with an end pin you would have to drill the hold straight and plug so you can screw the lock button on. You could glue the end pin in and cut it off flush, but either way you would be modifying your mandolin. Not a big deal, but not necessary either unless you like the ease of the strap lock. I don't take the strap off anyway so I won't be putting on on, tho I have installed many on guitars.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

11. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I've been using rubber washers on my Breedloves for years with no problems. Both have metal "end pins" for ¼" plugs.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

13. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

Once the end pin has been changed for a 1/4" plug I don't worry about the strap coming loose. I fit it tight and don't take it off. When performing I am plugged in and it can't come off so not worries there.

15. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

I've been a fan of the Dunlop plastic locks, but since I got a Bailey strap, one leather loop around the strap button sinched with the very tight leather disk seems more than enough. Not a fan of the button slit in many straps. A bread tie works great if you don't mind funky.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

17. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

Had a great player suggest Groelsch beer bottle cap washers. Work great and the beer does too. A super deal.

19. The following members say thank you to barrytx for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by barrytx View Post
    Had a great player suggest Groelsch beer bottle cap washers. Work great and the beer does too. A super deal.
    Some of us don't imbibe and I'm not going to buy a bottle of beer for the washer. I'll stick with my hardware store washers. They've served me well for many years.
    David Hopkins

McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

21. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

Another rubber washer user. It's amazing how great a rubber washer works for a low cost solution. The beer bottle washers, gaskets, some specifically made for guitar strap locks, etc can be found easily and cheap online and in hardware stores. I buy several at a time made for guitar end pins online/ebay for about $1 +/- for 4 or so and they work great.

23. The following members say thank you to jhammond for this post:

I guess since I make my own straps and make the fit to the endpin tight, I have never felt the need for anything to help it stay on. I sometimes double the end of the strap on the pin so there are two and both are tight. I would be more worried about the pin falling out with the strap on than my strap coming off the pin.

25. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I would be more worried about the pin falling out with the strap on than my strap coming off the pin.
    I would, too, except that both of my Breedloves have ¼" plugs/endpins and the units are 2-piece screwed together through the end of the mandolin.
    David Hopkins

Quietly Making Noise Dave Greenspoon's Avatar

I've used the SureLock Strap Lock from LM Products for a number of years on my solid bodied mandos. They've worked well for me. NFI
    Axes: Eastman MD-515 & El Rey; Eastwood S Mandola
    Amps: Fishman Loudbox 100; Rivera Clubster Royale Recording Head & R212 cab; Laney Cub 10

28. The following members say thank you to Dave Greenspoon for this post:

As a long time lover and user of StrapLocks I have to say that I recently saw an advertisement for a new locking strap design by D'Addario that I thought ingenious and worth investigating. Sorry I can't remember the name, but it should be easy enough to Google.

Blessings

***** Note***** After researching these, I retract my endorsement and stand by the original StrapLocks. In 30 years of playing, never a failure of my StrapLocks.