Thread: Dirty old town tab

Default Dirty old town tab

Hiya guya, I hope you are all well..
    I am three months into my playing, so quite a novice, i have come across this tab for "dirty old town"
    https://thewildirishrose.wordpress.c...town-mandolin/
    will some of you guys cast your eyes over it and see if its correct, it seems a little wrong to me, the second part down (is it called a bar) doesnt seem to be the right part for the tune. as i say i am a novice so may be completely wrong...
    Thanks guys
    Last edited by Dean Campbell; Mar-26-2019 at 10:00am.

Default Re: Dirty old town tab

I don't know this song but after a listen I think there are a few notes missing. There are eight phrases to this song. The first three are on the first line and the fourth one is missing. It is a simple tune. I think you should make up the fourth phrase yourself. Use the same notes as the rest of the song. This would be a really good exercise for you. Also the last phrase is 2 0 5 2. The spacing is wrong.

3. The following members say thank you to Bob Visentin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Visentin View Post
    I don't know this song but after a listen I think there are a few notes missing. There are eight phrases to this song. The first three are on the first line and the fourth one is missing. It is a simple tune. I think you should make up the fourth phrase yourself. Use the same notes as the rest of the song. This would be a really good exercise for you. Also the last phrase is 2 0 5 2. The spacing is wrong.
    Thanks for the input Bob, i have looked at a few tunes from that page and quite a few seem to be somewhat cobbled together, i know the "dirty old town" tune and i am sure its not right, but it does give me the bones to work with, it will help me learn to pick the notes out and sharpen my ear....it is a really nice tune and quite popular over here and Ireland, thanks Again Bob

I taught myself this song, on a whim, last week. I'll have to sit down and pick it to be sure, but this tab takes a few odd turns I wouldn't think to take. That's not to say they're wrong, necessarily, but just trying to sound them out in my head, there are a few places where they don't make good sense to me.

That said, I'm more accustomed to the way the Dubliners played this song, so my interpretation may be completely different from yours.
    The Loar LM-220 VS

6. The following members say thank you to JPS for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    I taught myself this song, on a whim, last week. I'll have to sit down and pick it to be sure, but this tab takes a few odd turns I wouldn't think to take. That's not to say they're wrong, necessarily, but just trying to sound them out in my head, there are a few places where they don't make good sense to me.

That said, I'm more accustomed to the way the Dubliners played this song, so my interpretation may be completely different from yours.
    Thanks Jps, well i have worked it out after a short while, i'm quite pleased with myself actually, it doesnt sound too bad, i just have to play it fluently now lol
    one part that i think was wrong with the tab was the section where he played 2.5.7.5.2 on the A string, that doesnt seem to fit in my humble opinion,
    Thanks for the input mate

8. The following members say thank you to Dean Campbell for this post:

JPS 

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Campbell View Post
    Thanks Jps, well i have worked it out after a short while, i'm quite pleased with myself actually, it doesnt sound too bad, i just have to play it fluently now lol
    one part that i think was wrong with the tab was the section where he played 2.5.7.5.2 on the A string, that doesnt seem to fit in my humble opinion,
    Thanks for the input mate
    I'd love to compare notes to see what we each came up with, if you get a chance.
    The Loar LM-220 VS

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    I'd love to compare notes to see what we each came up with, if you get a chance.
    Without a doubt JPS, but i feel i may slightly embarrass myself after i said i was quite pleased with it, i am only three months in dont forget lol
    what the best way to do it? take a picture of my scribbled notes? can you uploads pictures on here?
    Thanks for your interest

I play in an occasional band which does a "Dirty Old Town/Wish You Were Here" mash-up. Very fun!
    ma dh'fheumas tu tarraing, dčan sin gu socair

Instruments

Mann 2 Point - 2011
    Girouard Mandola - 2013
    Pava A5 - 2019