Thread: Should I Try to Repair This?

Default Should I Try to Repair This?

I'm a banjo/guitar player thinking about picking up mandolin. A friend of mine gave me this old gourd like mandolin, but it looks like it needs some repair on the surface beneath the bottom of the fretboard.

My friend says her Mom got it in Italy over 50 years ago. But it seems to have some American hardware on it.

Would this instrument be worth investing in a repair?

more mandolin pix
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0721.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	430.8 KB 
ID:	175563  

===========

Default Re: Should I Try to Repair This?

Long story short - the string spacing on the nut looks bad - like maybe somebody who didn't know what they were doing cut it themselves. Also, although it is hard to tell from the pictures, the action looks like it is way too high - so either the bridge will have to be shaved, or the neck will have to be straightened; (not an easy job without a truss rod). The crack around the soundhole doesn't look too-too bad, but it would probably be best to have a luthier look at it to see if there might be some further or hidden damage in the area.

Overall, without knowing the true value of the mandolin (although it does look like a low-level beginner instrument), I personally would pass on the repair job . . . but there are many others on this forum who are FAR more knowledgeable than I am, and can perhaps see something that my amateur eyes do not.

Good luck and keep us updated.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeZito For This Useful Post:

Actually I think it's much more than the string spacing that has failed. I also think you might have an American built bowlback there by the binding but without seeing the whole thing that will be harder to determine. Post a full on shot of the front and back of the mandolin. Chances are that it's not going to be worth the money and probably beyond a mere mortal's ability to repair.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

I agree with Mike, there’s a lot more out of whack than just a nut alignment, and the top separation.
    Form the one picture it could be a broken neck block too, there is a lot going on that we can’t see from the single shot.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

7. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

The expertise on this site is just amazing.

Thanks Mike... I included a link to a Google Drive page of additional pix, but here it is again

Mando Pix

I missed the pics. The neck on that mandolin appears to be seriously mis-shapen. There's something bad going on there. Beyond that she might have purchased it in Italy but I'm pretty sure it was built in the US. Either way it's pretty much a wallhanger. It's pretty. There's no sense in messing up the ascetics trying to make it playable because unless you've got some serious repair chops it won't be. I'd loosen those strings so it doesn't implode.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

11. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

The neck has skewed to one side, and you can see how the top has twisted as a result. Something has come badly loose inside!

Professional repair costs would be measured in several (maybe many) hundreds of dollars, assuming the neck hasn't also distorted in some way. Amateur repair - I'd say no real chance of success, even for an experienced amateur repairer. In effect, the whole instrument needs disassembling, reshaping, and then putting back together, and possibly even some parts re-making. And these bowl backs aren't designed for disassembly.

13. The following members say thank you to ProfChris for this post:

Thanks guys! really appreciate the input on this. I guess I'll keep looking for another mandolin to start with

15. The following members say thank you to Banjovi for this post:

A whole lot going on there, notice the fret board even look concave but the fret ends are up or is it just my eyes?
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.