Thread: Inherited Mandolin - What is it?

Default Inherited Mandolin - What is it?

Our 91-year-old aunt has passed and I have inherited her mandolin.
    - I've played guitar for decades and figure I'd spend some time with this.
    - I have restrung it now and have begun tinkering.

I suspect it's a Sears or Wards quality instrument from the 1920s or 1930s.
    - The only real markings are inside reading: F-39 and (perhaps) 1222 300 (?)
    - The case latches appear to be labeled "Waverly."

Question: Looking for opinions -- What is it?
    - Curious your thoughts?

Thanks. Richard
    - - - - - - -
    ATTACHED PHOTOS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNAG-0024.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	175557   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNAG-0025.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	175556   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNAG-0027.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	175558  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNAG-0012.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	175559   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNAG-0000.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	175560   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SNAG-0001.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	175561  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7550.JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	305.7 KB 
ID:	175562  
    Last edited by rlinwood; Mar-24-2019 at 9:42pm. Reason: Add photo

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Inherited Mandolin - What is it?

Looks like Chicago workmanship to me. I have seen stamps similar in color and shape to your F-39 stamp on Harmony branded instruments. I will guess no earlier than 1930's, maybe later.

It's in very nice shape. You might want to make sure that the braces are tight.

Looks very similar to this Regal: https://picclick.com/ANTIQUE-1920s-R...306038407.html (but without the pickguard and fingerboard extension).

Seems to be all-birch construction with no bindings, headstock overlay, fancy rosette etc so likely an entry-level rather than high-end instrument. But if it sounds good then it is good!

If the chipped nut is causing intonation issues on the G course you could possibly repair it by filing that bit down and gluing a tiny new piece on top and cut new slots in that.
    Frank Sings But Walt Disney.
    My YouTube channel

It's a Harmony model 305 or re-branded equivalent. The date stamp indicates that it was built in the second half of 1939.
    www.OldFrets.com: the obscure side of vintage instruments.

The mandolin looks as though your aunt did not play that much- it has been well looked after- even the case. I think if you look at those latches, you will see that the impressed name is Worcester Tool and Stamping Company. I have a Harmony Monterey- sold by B & J as an S S Stewart, which I estimate to be from 1939. Its case looks like yours- especially the latches- and what I have written is what is on them. I don't think Waverly made latches although at that time, the company must have been reeling as just about every guitar maker dumped them and began to use the new Kluson products. Harmony did so in about 1940 and it is said used money lent by Kluson to effect the buy out from Sears, Roebuck that year.

Quote Originally Posted by nmiller View Post
    It's a Harmony model 305 or re-branded equivalent. The date stamp indicates that it was built in the second half of 1939.
    Actually the F indicates it was built in the first half of 1939. S would indicate second half.

...What is it?
    These are very common entry level mandolins. Harmony sold them under dozens and dozens of brand names, their own brand name, and like this with no brand name. They are available weekly on eBay and it will be worth much more as a family heirloom than it will ever be monetarily.

Although Regal and Kay made similar instruments that F39 date code identifies this without a doubt as a Harmony built instrument.

Anyone interested in identifying vintage cases should look at Cafe member Loudloar's page on vintage cases. It can be found here. Steve also has a facebook page for those so inclined.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Here is one that is a few decades newer than yours that is labeled. They made them for a number of years.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Here is one from a few years earlier with the frosted fingerboard and stencils and a big crack- lots of play wear. In 1933/34 Supertone went in to wreaths in a big way- on the guitars, tenor guitars and even the mandolins- like this one. You can date Supertone instruments through the 30s by the label used- if it is still inside, or the paint job! This one did not sell- presumably the crack put folk off as it was pretty inexpensive and the seller said it plays. I suppose they all "play" to a degree if they are strung up!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-man...p2047675.l2557

When you put strings on remember to keep them light, these are not braced for the heavy strings most use today.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Thanks all for your input.
    As suspected it's a "Sears or Wards quality" instrument.
    Nice to have it in the family and, perhaps, it'll incent me to buy a "real" mando to work with.
    I appreciate your comments.
    Regards: Richard

FWIW, the mandolin that has "haunted" me for 35 years was a Harmony a guy was selling at a flea market on a Sunday afternoon. It was the sweetest sounding little thing, lightweight and rang like a bell. It was $30 and I didn't have enough cash on me, he didn't take plastic or checks and it seemed there were no ATM's around.........so I had to walk away without it.

To this day, every mandolin I play gets judged against the sound of that sweet Harmony that I still have in my head........and unfortunately most come up short............

12. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post: