Thread: Best gig bag I’ve ever owned

Default Best gig bag I’ve ever owned

Just picked up this Mono Vertigo for a new ‘hog. It’s head and shoulders above any gig bag I’ve ever owned or seen. This includes the Taylor bags (the older ones, before they ‘value engineered’ them) which I always thought were really nicely designed. Too bad Mono hasn’t done a mandolin gig bag yet. If they ever do I will seriously consider ditching my Boulder Alpine for whatever Mono comes up with.

The padding in the Mono Vertigo is really thick, making it slightly bulkier than other bags but still retaining a gig bag vibe. It also has a thick rubber ‘boot’ on the bottom edge so you could stand this bag up in a muddy driveway or dew-soaked camp site without worry for whatever’s inside it. All the hardware feels super-solid and the straps and handles are very well reinforced. I have every reason to expect a lifetime of use from this thing.

I know gig bags aren’t crush-proof, and even with all that padding the Mono wouldn’t protect its contents in the event of a catastrophic mishap that a hardshell might otherwise survive. But it’s a really nice option if you are in the market for a gig bag for your dread.

NFI
    "Well, I don't know much about bands but I do know you can't make a living selling big trombones, no sir. Mandolin picks, perhaps..."

Default Re: Best gig bag I’ve ever owned

Looks good but they don't make them for mandolin.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

My favorite gig bag ever is the Ritter Super Pak. Not only well padded, but two big storage pockets on the body for cables and gear, and two more along the neck. These neck pockets are so deep that, at least on the guitar-size bags, you can put a folding music stand in one of them.

They came in a bunch of sizes, but I only ever snagged one that was mandolin-sized (ended up selling it, since I already have a nice Calton). I still use a couple of them for tenor guitars. Sadly, they were discontinued long ago, and since Ritter is a UK brand, they were never that easy to find in the first place.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

If you happen to live in New York, here's a Mono dreadnought bag for sale:
    https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/m...841145560.html
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I really like my Access Stage Three gig bags. I have one for mandolin and a banjo model that fits my OM very nicely. I have used them to transport my instruments to perform every week for years. I see they now have a Stage Five line. They look pretty cool, but I have not seen one up close.

https://www.elderly.com/access-stage...ag.htm#details

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Flynn For This Useful Post:

+ 1 for the Access Stage Three, great bag, lots of storage.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Blog Entries

I really like my Reunion Blues Continental gig bags. They have one for mandolins and one for tenor banjos which would work for a smaller body mandolin.

They protect the instrument for just about anything likely to happen except gun shot, or puncture with a pike, or running over with a semi, and they weigh about nothing. Made of some kind of cool anti-gravity material I have to assume.

If I needed something stronger, where the absoluteness of the protection was important than convenience or weight, I would get a pelican box with a customize-able interior, like I use at work for sending sensitive electronics by air all over the world. But for the normal bumps and drops expected carrying an instrument, loading and unloading the car, etc., the Reunion Blues Continental works for me.

Those Mono bags do look pretty good, I'll say that. I have no experience with them and can't say anything bad. Probably similar pluses and minuses as with Reunion Blues Continental.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I've been using a Mono M80 bag for about two years now, and I absolutely love it. I've used a leather Reunion Blues bag, which was very nice. But the Mono bag is exceptional, IMO. I'ver used it to carry my vintage 17"archtop, my D-18, and both of my modern archtops to gigs, festivals and jams with no issues. Great features and design, and it's showing hardly any wear. Not sure if I'd use a mandolin gig bag, but I'd be interested in seeing one if Mono decided to make one!

10. The following members say thank you to mcgroup53 for this post:

i love the Mono bags, and agree with everything you mentioned, superb soft cases.

I actually use the Mono Tenor Ukulele bag for some mandolins. It will fit the Collings MT, Northfield FS2, but will not fit Weber F styles or the Collings F style. The body size/shape has a lot to do with the fit.

d

12. The following members say thank you to darylcrisp for this post:

+1 for the old Ritter bag I have one the thing is a tank and has a ton of room and storage. To bad they don't make them anymore.
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I really like my Reunion Blues Continental gig bags. They have one for mandolins and one for tenor banjos which would work for a smaller body mandolin. .
    Jeff, do you mean tenor ukulele? I didn't think they had made a tenor banjo case for years before the Continental series came out.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!