Thread: Pava-Silverangel

Default Pava-Silverangel

Got to spend some time yesterday with my SA and a friend's Pava. I was surprised how very similar these sounded. My SA is X braced redwood top. I thought it would be warmer, which it was, but not a lot. The G was stronger and the SA was a bit louder. The Pava was warm and clear too, both much different from something like an MT.

Both were bought used, one for $1400, one for $2200. Very much in the same sonic camp. So with all the what does a SA sound like questions, very much like a Pava.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Default Re: Pava-Silverangel

Very true that the Pava sounds very different from a Collings MT - at least mine does. That's why we have to have more than one mandolin (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

3. The following members say thank you to LadysSolo for this post:

Em Tee 

Quote Originally Posted by LadysSolo View Post
    Very true that the Pava sounds very different from a Collings MT - at least mine does. That's why we have to have more than one mandolin (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!)
    Very true. One on the warmer side and one loud and bright.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I asked Pava K about redwoods and other alternative top woods at Wintergrass, she didn't sound that interested in them but said she was looking into torrefied spruce
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Well I have had both a Collings MT and a Pava. If you play on your own or in a duo, the Pava is a great sounding mandolin. However, I have found a Collings MT at a jam session will cut through and be heard. I still like the tone of a Collings MT on its own though. I am happy in both situations.
    Nic Gellie

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gellie View Post
    Well I have had both a Collings MT and a Pava. If you play on your own or in a duo, the Pava is a great sounding mandolin. However, I have found a Collings MT at a jam session will cut through and be heard. I still like the tone of a Collings MT on its own though. I am happy in both situations.
    I’ve had all of the above and enjoyed their differences. The MT was bright with an emphasis on the fundamental, which perhaps explains why it cut well in a mix but could be a bit piercing for solo play. The Pava was more complex, which was pleasing on its own but got lost in a crowd. The Silverangel was not, to my ear, complex like the Pava, but rather darker with more emphasis on the bottom end. And they played just as differently too.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

8. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

FredK 

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I'm a big fan of SA's ... I have one (cedar topped) and love it. I have played 2 others and can say they are indeed a different animal favoring the deep end of the spectrum. I can also say that I have played a Pava and an Old Wave (both at Carter's) as well as a BRW (a friend's) and all 3 of those do favor that lower end and all 3 were awesome. If I could've afforded it, I would've gone home with the Old Wave or the Pava. However, the SA is just different. It has a tone of its own that is just very very unique. I was able to play my SA side by side with the BRW. Both had a nice low end but were very different. Not to mention it's LOUD!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

The observations that a warmer mandolin gets lost in a group is so true. That is the main gripe the Pava's owner has. The upper range cut is lacking. My Arches kit has no where near the complexity of sound, but it is bright and very loud. It is still breaking in.

Mandolins like the Collings and Northfield F5S, strike a balance weighted toward bright projection. Just points out that if you play a variety of styles, having two or more mandolins is the ticket.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1