Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mando Tasting, interested in your vote.

Default Re: Mando Tasting, interested in your vote.

I think the first mandolin has a brighter tone (as has been mentioned,) and the second sounds more "mellow." I like them both, not better or less. I would use the first one definitely in a jam setting as it would "cut through" and stand its own against guitars and banjos. Both sound balanced to me. Curious as to the makers, I'm pretty sure I know but will have to see it I am correct.

Thanks everyone, LadysSolo...i wanted to confirm with one of the builders prior to naming the instruments given the recording qualities of the videos. Number one is Portland Or. builder Matt Ruhland. I asked Matt to indulge my whims on using some of my tonewood supply in the instrument and he said , ok. The top is master grade Engelmann, back and sides big leaf maple, #2 is a Red Diamond A5 July 9th, Vintage voicing. Red Spruce, Sugar maple.
    The distance from the mic was pretty much the same give or take...one thing i notice is the about of volume of the Ruhland with minimal attack. It only increases in volume from there. It's also the only Engelmann top instrument i've owned that doesn't seem to have a hard ceiling, ie lots of headroom and doesn't break up.
    The Red Diamond is quieter with the same attack but has an abundance of volume when pushed. Also very high head room. Exceptionally well balanced instrument that almost seems eq'd throughout the tonal spectrum if that makes any sense to anyone other than me I truly enjoy how both mandolins play. Wonderful neck profiles for my feel of things. I would agree with the folks that describe it as more traditional in tone. In a good way!
    I have recorded the Ruhland in a more professional environment and its sounds much much better. It suffered the most of the two from this home experiment in my eyes. Big, warm and round harmonics with strong, punchy fundamental tones. It hasn't been played as much as the Red Diamond(2017) and the Ruhland truly comes to life with a few minutes of playing.
    So briefly...that's my .02 on my experience with these two fine mandolins. I appreciate both a great deal and feel very fortunate to have them. Thanks so much for listening and sharing your thoughts!

Now, if i can just improve my technique

Happy pick'in!

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Old Growth For This Useful Post:

Curious if folks have any additional thoughts now that the two A5's have been identified?
    Thanks...

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

its number two for me. Mellow, balanced tone.
    Living’ in the Mitten

Thanks for the comment Steve.

2 wins the day for me, the treble of 1 is too thin for my tastes.

Thanks for your comment RobBob.

Number 2 for me. Nice fat notes with great clarity and note separation.
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

Second more mellow. first sounds a bit tinny to me. Like second better.

I liked them both, don't think, at least to me, the first sounds tinny. Sounds newer, more throaty and powerful. May have even more complex tone and depth with more playing.

Thanks for your comments Luna Pick...my experience is similar to what you observed, described. The mandolins have many qualities some of which are limited by the player, at that particular moment in time. Thanks to everyone for commenting.

I really liked number 2. Fat tone with great clarity and note separation. Not too much sustain. Just about perfect in my view.
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

Thanks goose 2..hard to disagree.