Thread: thinking about getting a mandolin looking for advice

Default thinking about getting a mandolin looking for advice

I am looking at the $2000 price range, I have been playing a godin a8 for about 10 years of so and for playing out its adequate. I would like to upgrade,
    I posted a question on the equipment page, but this seems a better place for it.

so for that price range can you get a hand made one that is comparable to a factory, or is this price range too low to get a good sounding, playing mando?
    I am thinking off the wider nut also.
    I have been checking around about places that have them to try out. but not much luck so far.
    any advice or suggestions would be appreciated , thanks kevin

Default Re: thinking about getting a mandolin looking for advice

I live about 3 hours from philly and dc, 5 to nyc if that is any help. thanks kevin

You might clarify a few options to help people point you in the right direction -
    F hole or oval hole
    A or F5
    wide nut - is 1 1/8" ok or do you need something wider?

You should be able to find a very good mandolin for around $2000 +/-

Putting aside the handmade / factory discussion, a preowned Collings MT with wide nut option is a great choice.

5. The following members say thank you to Hockey Puck for this post:

Pittsburgh Bill
    Blog Entries

Lots of fine instruments come up on the Cafe Classifieds almost daily. Buy with a 48 hr. return agreement of which you would have to pay postage both ways if not satisfied. PayPal makes for easy credit on returns. I have yet to have a bad experience buying through these classifieds which make up 9 of the 13 mandos I have owned. Sellers that are reported as unscrupulous are vetted out of the Cafe.
    Unusual for me not to find a newly listed mandolin in that price range every day that I would like to own.
    Last edited by Pittsburgh Bill; Mar-22-2019 at 1:40pm.
    Big Muddy EM8 solid body (Mike Dulak's final EM8 build)
    Kentucky KM-950
    Weber Gallatin A Mandola "D hole"
    Rogue 100A (current campfire tool & emergency canoe paddle)

I am not really concerned with the appearance as much as the playability and sound .
    I never thought about the width before, but the g string seems to want to run off the edge, It may be my playing fault or set up .

I measured the nut 1 3/16ths the stings are 1" from( far e) to ( far g) so I guess its a wide nut as it is.

thanks again for the help. kevin

I will check out the classified also thanks

You will be very happy with what you can get for $1500-2000 in a used A. I have a soft spot for Silver Angels. Ken has been sending mandolins out to people with no up front money. They must not be coming back because he keeps advertising more as he gets them in trades all the time. But an MT at 2k is a solid choice too, as are any number of others.

The wide nut will be limiting, but be patient, they come along.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

10. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post: