Thread: Got my new Eastman Mando yesterday!

Default Got my new Eastman Mando yesterday!

My new Eastman 305 arrived today from the Mando Store. So excited! I dont think Ive ever received and instrument by mail or bought one off the shelf that was set up this perfectly and plays so amazingly from the get go. I cant believe how great this plays and sounds. It also arrived on what would have been my Dads 89th Birthday so I shall name the Mando "Bill" after him. He was also a Bill Monroe fan so it makes it even better!

I really appreciate all the info I got from this forum over the past few weeks as I researched the best Mando to get for the price.

One tip that stuck out and definitely rings true I saw posted by JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    One rule of thumb that is generally true enough is that a mandolin costs about twice as much as a guitar of comparable quality. There are always exceptions of course, but that is a good way to set your expectations. In other words, you know from experience what you can get in a $250 guitar - that is about the quality to expect, give or take, in a $500 mandolin.
    After playing this Eastman and comparing it to the Greg Bennett Samick I started with and their higher quality "F" style one (still only $300 or so) and a few others i tried out including Epiphones and a Fender; I really dont think that you can skimp out and be happy with a budget priced mandolin and have it sound or play decently. This Eastman is night and day compared to those others. So if you are hoping to find a mando for $250, expect it to play and sound like $100 guitar.

For any beginner or just someone wanting a decent Mando, Id say just save up the extra money and get one of these or maybe a Kentucky of the same price range. Anything less will be a major disappointment once you’ve played one this good. The money you will spend on setups and adjustments will surpass what you would spend on a new one of these and it still wont compare. I probably had over $500 in the Samick I started with after multiple set-ups, new tuners, fret leveling etc and it was still light years behind what this one is.

The setup and play-ability on this one is so amazing that now I'm wondering and dreaming of what a $1200 Eastman would play and feel like!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando2.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	175498 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	175499

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Texas_Surfer For This Useful Post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Default Re: Got my new Eastman Mando yesterday!

you can take a long journey on that mandolin. Enjoy it in good health.

f-d

p.s., I learned a lot of tunes using, "TabEdit" files. Download the, "Tabeditviewer" (free software) and you can open these files. There are hundreds of them on this page. The files actually, "Play" the tunes (midi computer beep sounds), but do inform the ear enough to take a crack at the music. Then again, maybe you already know, "Soldiers Joy" and others of the like?
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

4. The following members say thank you to fatt-dad for this post:

Nice looking mando!

Enjoy it in good health.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Congrats....what great fun ahead. Enjoy!

305’s are really nice mandolins.

Great-looking mandolin (and a creative pic with the hat). Could very well be a lifetime keeper. As other have stated, enjoy it in good health!

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    you can take a long journey on that mandolin. Enjoy it in good health.

f-d

p.s., I learned a lot of tunes using, "TabEdit" files. Download the, "Tabeditviewer" (free software) and you can open these files. There are hundreds of them on this page. The files actually, "Play" the tunes (midi computer beep sounds), but do inform the ear enough to take a crack at the music. Then again, maybe you already know, "Soldiers Joy" and others of the like?
    Thanks Fatt-Dad! I have several books I have been working out of over the past few years but hadnt played Mando much since my first mando got severely damaged a year or so ago (Guitar is my main instrument) but I will definitely check out these tabs you mentioned. Id like to get up to speed on some more traditional pieces. My favorite book to work out of for a while now has been Mel Bays "The Mandolin Pickers Guide to Bluegrass Improvisation" by Jesper Rubner-Peterson. Very thorough and in-depth approach to soloing!

10. The following members say thank you to Texas_Surfer for this post:

Congrats! An Eastman 315 was my first mando and I still love it. I got it out to sell a few months ago and decided to keep it. Enjoy your new mando!
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Lots of fun ahead of you -- enjoy!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

Searching for the Sound

love my 505, have fun with your new Eastman !!!
    - 2013 Eastman MD 505
    - 2013 Fender MandoStrat
    - 2021 Eastman MD815

IMHO, don't even think of spending $1200 on an Eastman. For that kind of money you can shop the classifieds and get a Weber, or a Silver Angel, or a Summit, or some other small shop mandolin.

Many prefer the 300 series Eastmans over the 500s. I could not tell you with any certainty what was what with my eyes closed. You are getting mostly pretty up the import ladder.

$1200-1500 can buy a stunning mandolin as far as sound and playability. Save pretty for some time later on.

Spot on advice on the purchase of a 305 or Km150 as a first mandolin.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Blog Entries

Have fun! Enjoy your mandolin!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +