Thread: Weber Fern "A" - opinions/alternates?

Default Weber Fern "A" - opinions/alternates?

Hi folks,
    Does anyone have an educated opinion or experience with a Weber Fern "A"? An '09 is available to me now in the low 3k's, and trying to get a gauge on how desirable this instrument is, as I'm early into MAS and while it could be a keeper, I'd rather not acquire something that would be slow to move later.

I currently have a Collings MF-O, and am looking to add something with f-holes. I do little bluegrass so don't have to have an F-body.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you can proffer!

Default Re: Weber Fern "A" - opinions/alternates?

If you’ve heard it and you’re thinking of resale down the road, pass, it’s not for you. Get one that speaks to you, where selling it will be a hard decision.

I have a 98 Weber Absaroka, A style with f holes. It’s wonderful. Weber’s are generally well respected and desirable instruments. But unless you buy from an eager seller, resale down the road typically costs some money.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

I never think about selling anything I ever buy, it really doesn’t matter what it is. I have things I bought when I was ten years old, I’ll never sell or give them away. It’s weird but, I would not even think of buying an instrument unless it really spoke to me. If they speak, I keep!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I'll add my two cents to the above. If the thought of resale enters my head, I pass on the instrument. The if I buy this Collings, I'll easily be able to sell it argument is a poor excuse for buying it in the first place.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

5. The following members say thank you to Br1ck for this post:

That seems to be a bit on the high side for a used A model. I did a quick look at the classifieds and there are a handful of Weber F models to be had at 3K and under. One example....... https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/136933#136933

You could get a new Girouard or Collings A-5 model for just under 3K.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    If you’ve heard it and you’re thinking of resale down the road, pass, it’s not for you. Get one that speaks to you, where selling it will be a hard decision.

I have a 98 Weber Absaroka, A style with f holes. It’s wonderful. Weber’s are generally well respected and desirable instruments. But unless you buy from an eager seller, resale down the road typically costs some money.
    That's a great way of thinking about it...thanks for that. This one did sound great...I was just concerned that my tastes could change, but shouldn't worry about it. Thanks again to you and the subsequent responders that reinforced this approach!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    I never think about selling anything I ever buy, it really doesn’t matter what it is. I have things I bought when I was ten years old, I’ll never sell or give them away. It’s weird but, I would not even think of buying an instrument unless it really spoke to me. If they speak, I keep!
    "if they speak, i keep". Great saying!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    That seems to be a bit on the high side for a used A model. I did a quick look at the classifieds and there are a handful of Weber F models to be had at 3K and under. One example....... https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/136933#136933

You could get a new Girouard or Collings A-5 model for just under 3K.
    Hmm... good insight. I was thinking since the Fern was the top of the line model it would be OK for that price, but might find an F for same or less that might sound as good. I did favor the Fern's sound over Collings MT's in the same store; will have to look into Girouard's. Thanks!

9. The following members say thank you to Gary Chastine for this post:

Sylvan has a new Fern A for $4,999, so around 3k sounds like it is in the ballpark. They are very fine instruments with top-of-the-line appointments and woods. I have no idea about resale. They don't seem to come on the market very often. Maybe there haven't been that many of them made or maybe their owners hold onto them.

11. The following members say thank you to Eric F. for this post:

I will 100% disagree that taking ease of selling an instrument and resale value should not be a consideration when buying an instrument. As the Op mentioned tastes change, life happens and circumstances change. We might plan on having something a lifetime but down the road something changes or an opportunity presents it self and you find yourself in a position to want or need to sell an instrument. You would want a reasonable chance that you would be able to sell it for a fair price in a reasonable amount of time.
    I bought a used F5(from a very well respected builder). I had never played one but had never seen anything but positive feedback. I got it and it was very nice but not for me. I was lucky an bought it right and was able to sell it quickly for more than I paid for it.
    I had a 2001 Flatiron Festival F5 that I really liked and thought I would have it for a long time. I had if for a couple of years and a mandolin that I loved the sound of showed up for a really good deal. So I sold my Flatiron, took a while and lost a little but well worth if for the enjoyment I got from it. I bought it and it is wonderful. Fit, finish and sound. It truly could be a lifetime instrument but I have thought about selling it because it is so much more instrument than I need for my playing ability. But I come to my senses and go play it and smile the whole time.
    I have seen a gentleman trying to sell a top of the line mandolin here for many months. It is more than fair priced I think since it is about 40% of an new one and appears in great shape. The builder flies under the radar at least as far as the mandolin world as he primarily builds another instrument. The only reason I know about them is I meet someone at a local jam that has one and he makes it sing. So if they are close in sound it would be a terrific mandolin. I thought about buying it before I got my current mandolin but I saw how hard it would be to sell it.

So buy what puts a smile on your face when you play but keep in mind the ability to move pass it along and what you think a fair rental fee would be. Good luck and finding something that speaks to you. There have been many really good mandolins for sale and some at a fair to good deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric F. View Post
    Sylvan has a new Fern A for $4,999, so around 3k sounds like it is in the ballpark. They are very fine instruments with top-of-the-line appointments and woods. I have no idea about resale. They don't seem to come on the market very often. Maybe there haven't been that many of them made or maybe their owners hold onto them.
    Thanks for that info. It seems that having something known and respected but not widely available would be good. I'm going to back to candyland (Nashville) tomorrow to play it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    I will 100% disagree that taking ease of selling an instrument and resale value should not be a consideration when buying an instrument. As the Op mentioned tastes change, life happens and circumstances change. We might plan on having something a lifetime but down the road something changes or an opportunity presents it self and you find yourself in a position to want or need to sell an instrument. You would want a reasonable chance that you would be able to sell it for a fair price in a reasonable amount of time.
    I bought a used F5(from a very well respected builder). I had never played one but had never seen anything but positive feedback. I got it and it was very nice but not for me. I was lucky an bought it right and was able to sell it quickly for more than I paid for it.
    I had a 2001 Flatiron Festival F5 that I really liked and thought I would have it for a long time. I had if for a couple of years and a mandolin that I loved the sound of showed up for a really good deal. So I sold my Flatiron, took a while and lost a little but well worth if for the enjoyment I got from it. I bought it and it is wonderful. Fit, finish and sound. It truly could be a lifetime instrument but I have thought about selling it because it is so much more instrument than I need for my playing ability. But I come to my senses and go play it and smile the whole time.
    I have seen a gentleman trying to sell a top of the line mandolin here for many months. It is more than fair priced I think since it is about 40% of an new one and appears in great shape. The builder flies under the radar at least as far as the mandolin world as he primarily builds another instrument. The only reason I know about them is I meet someone at a local jam that has one and he makes it sing. So if they are close in sound it would be a terrific mandolin. I thought about buying it before I got my current mandolin but I saw how hard it would be to sell it.

So buy what puts a smile on your face when you play but keep in mind the ability to move pass it along and what you think a fair rental fee would be. Good luck and finding something that speaks to you. There have been many really good mandolins for sale and some at a fair to good deals.
    Thanks, Steve for the counterpoint and helpful info. I'm going to try to do both things advised here...get something I love the sound of but also that can be sold in case I find something I like even better.

Hi KentuckyGuy,

I have had three Webers from the 'Bruce' days. All three were great. I still own one of them. The two I sold went very quickly. One sold locally the very evening I posted it, the other I sold to someone who posted an ad here looking for one of that model.

This Fern was at the time their top-end A. In my opinion, if it is the Weber sound you are looking for, it feels good in your hands, and it is in good shape, the price is in the right range for starting the conversation. See if you can get it down a bit. If so, it will be a good value for a sought-after instrument. That said, only buy it if you really like the feel, sound and look. It is, after all, for you. This could very well be a lifetime keeper.
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyGuy View Post
    Thanks, Steve for the counterpoint and helpful info. I'm going to try to do both things advised here...get something I love the sound of but also that can be sold in case I find something I like even better.
    Now, that’s a sound conclusion. And one I’ve employed many times over the past 14 years.

I owned a Montana, Bruce Weber Fern A5 that was a great mandolin! Probably as good as any of us need! In my opinion, Bruce put together a great show in Logan Montana. I toured there shop and found Bruce, Bruce Jr, Mary Weber and a few employees that had been with Bruce for 10-25 years. At the time, quality small time operation! I did sell the mandolin and it cost me $50.00 a year, to play a very good mandolin for 6 years. My Fern A5 was a wonderful experience!

I've got one, looks great, easy to play, sounds fabulous.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyGuy View Post
    Thanks for that info. It seems that having something known and respected but not widely available would be good. I'm going to back to candyland (Nashville) tomorrow to play it again.
    How did the trip to Nashville go? Did you score the Fern-A model?
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings