Thread: BIG MUDDY question

Question BIG MUDDY question

very new to Mando and am already investigating upgrades (looks there are going to be more than one ! ). I think I'm so new and so far from any Mando-mecca, I'll be making my upgrade based on things I've read and purchasing them sight unseen from the intrawebs.

one of my interests is the Big Muddy (I love that it's an affordable American made instrument). I'm watching classifieds for used, but also stalking the big muddy website. Not really sure which model I would want or which model of the defunct Mid-Mo I should seek. I love all music (and as such will attempt to play all genres) and probably will never play for anyone but me (and the dogs). My dog-girl LuLu loves "Skip to my Lou"

Also, a question on his primitives. as a newbie, playing only for herself, and planning to purchase AT LEAST one more in the next year, I'm wondering if the cost saving vs finishes is the way to go.

I would LOVE to hear owner/player experiences of the Big Muddy/mid-missouri. Many thanks for your time!

Kat

Blog Entries

Default Re: BIG MUDDY question

There's a ticket in the Classifieds in case you missed it.

3. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Cafe for this post:

There is also this one.. Wide nut

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/136493#136493

I fairly recently bought a used Mid Missouri M4 from a cafe member and love it. Sounds and feels great. I did not really "need" it but, since I did not have an A oval in the collection, I could not resist. The Brazilian Rosewood back on mine is what really sold me.

Based on the pictures I had before purchase I had a couple of initial concerns. I emailed Mike at Big Muddy and he responded back in under 24 hours. Gave me a little education on how they were/are constructed and set me at ease. I would recommend contacting him.
    Bob Murphy

Mastercraft F
    Morgan Monroe MAM-200
    Ovation MCS-148
    1890's AC Fairbanks Bowlback
    Troiano F Style
    Eastman MD404-BK
    Mid Missouri M4
    Gypsy's Octave

If you've been all over their website, then you've probably seen this video already... but, if not, maybe it'll help! Wonderful demo, I think. Definitely makes me want to buy one.

I personally always thought the M-7 looked pretty snazzy.

Keep us updated! And have fun with your mando-hunting!
    1940 Gibson L-4T
    2016 Martin TEN515
    2018 Poe Scout #76

My first flat top mandolin experience was a Flatiron 1N. It just jumped out at me as an incredible playing experience. Within the realm of what they do, people think very highly of the Big Muddy. What I would say to you is being a relative newcomer, I'd not focus in on a particular model. Buy a used mandolin. By spending time with an instrument you are building experience, and can then use that as a reference point for further instrument explorations.

In my own experience, I never expected to play bluegrass, ever. Was happy to stick to fiddle tunes. Had a mandolin that was good for that, but I've always broadened my interests, so one day learned some bluegrass licks. Got sucked in big time. Needed a louder, punchier tool. So what you intend now is maybe not where you go later.

So buy that flattie and play the heck out of it. But I will tell you, playing with others is a whole lot of fun. There are people out there just like you, and people farther along glad to help you progress.

Certainly you get a higher quality mandolin with the same amount of money in a flat top.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

I bought a Mid Missouri Mandolin back in the late '90s. Still have it and love it. I also have a Mid Mo Octave mandolin. I would not hesitate to recommend Mike Dulak's instruments.
    Interesting side story - I was having a weekend vacation trip in central Missouri and stopped into the Mid Missouri Mandolin workshop (before the fire.) Mike welcomed me and my wife like old friends and gave us a tour of the shop. I mentioned that I had dinged the rim of my mando, and he asked if I had it with me. I did, and he had one of the guys in the shop fill in the chip right on the spot - no charge.
    “Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher ‘standard of living’ is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free.” -- Aldo Leopold

8. The following members say thank you to trodgers for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by kegcrowe View Post

I would LOVE to hear owner/player experiences of the Big Muddy/mid-missouri. Many thanks for your time!

Kat
    Looks like you've got some solid options.

Best not to wait too long; it's not always easy to find used - what are your thoughts so far?
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

I'm afraid to be too hasty...

keeping my fingers crossed that I'll KNOW when I see it. Even though I've seen a hundred that I KNOW I like

What?! Afraid to dip your toe into the mando-pool? Dive in, get a Big Muddy if that's what you want. It is a great starting point and will get you playing. The point is to play and have fun.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Blog Entries

I acquired a Big Muddy M-11 a few years back and absolutely love it. It is great for everything, with the possible exception of hard core bluegrass, and even there it is more about tradition than anything else.

Well made, perfect intonation all the way up the neck, addicting tone, and I have to admit i enjoy showing up where there are many mandolins that cost much much more, and holding my own in the face of expectations. I do have other mandolins, more costly, and less, but the M-11 fits perfectly in many of the ways I play.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

If you'll do a search, you'll find that Howard Morris is well-respected here on the cafe. I don't think you can go wrong with either of these. Sent him a message here to ask about the different tone each of these have and how it might fit with want you want to play. Ovals have a different sound.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Howard Morris builds a very nice mandolin. I own a Morris A5 that I got directly from him a year ago and I love it. When visiting I played a couple of his flat tops that were great.

I had a Morris flat top that I only parted with only to get an awesome A4 from him. I also once owned a Big Muddy. Can’t go wrong with either builder. Great mandolins and both are great high integrity people in my opinion. NFI.
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

And my choice: Morris flattop #407

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56280475-146E-4FBB-B672-E54D0F77713E.jpeg 
Views:	276 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	175500

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kegcrowe For This Useful Post:

Nice!! I was wondering how your search was going.

Glad you got one. I love the looks! That fretboard looks amazing..

Do you have it now, or is it arriving?
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

20. The following members say thank you to ccravens for this post:

Just came in this afternoon. I let it rest a couple hours then tuned her up. Love !!!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kegcrowe For This Useful Post:

And my choice: Morris flattop #407

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	56280475-146E-4FBB-B672-E54D0F77713E.jpeg 
Views:	276 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	175500
    Nice! Good choice.